Big Data Engineer – Create Innovative Solutions using Big Data
Are you the Leonardo da Vinci of modern-day data? A fearless inventor with an artistic streak? Someone who might design a new flying machine to carry us through the cloud, or create the digital Mona Lisa with only an algorithm and a smile?
We’re looking for a Big Data Engineer/Data Scientist who finds creative solutions to tough problems. A real Renaissance mathematician and architect, who’s not afraid to pave the way for bigger and better things.
If you can sculpt brilliant strategies from a mountain of data, pedal your flying machine over here. We’ll put you to work as our resident genius, our data visionary.
About the Role
Because we work on the cutting edge of a lot of technologies, we need someone who is a creative problem solver, resourceful in getting things done, and productive working independently or collaboratively. This person would also take on the following responsibilities:
- Gather and process raw data at scale (including writing scripts, web scraping, calling APIs, write SQL queries, etc.).
- Work closely with our engineering team to integrate your amazing innovations and algorithms into our production systems.
- Process unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis – and then do the analysis.
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed.
- We use AWS extensively, so experience with EMR and other web services will help you hit the ground running.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with statistics; potentially other advanced math as well.
- Programming experience, ideally in Python or Java, but we are open to other experience if you’re willing to learn the languages we use.
- Deep knowledge in data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, or information retrieval.
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data. MapReduce experience is a plus.
- Enough programming knowledge to clean and scrub noisy datasets.
You can expect a freewheeling, informal work environment, populated by a combination of folks from top companies such as [insert impressive previous employment places for the current team members] that have produced many successful products, as well as some PhD’s that have escaped the ivory tower.
We have lots of perks like free lunches, but you will be so engrossed with the challenges of the job that the free stuff will be more like icing on the cake.
Click the “Apply Now” button. You might be that someone who knows how to use our data.
Return to Job Description Do’s and Don’ts or get great examples for other tech positions below: