Back-End Software Engineer – Explore new territory with smart people
When you close your eyes at night, do you dream of writing perfect code in an awesome spaceship? And on the craft is a team of your awesome friends who push and challenge you to be better than you were the day before? Well, we’re still working on that spaceship part, but we think we can offer you the rest of that dream.
But seriously, if you want to work on a high-traffic website and build products that YOU would actually use, open your eyes to this new adventure. We are looking for a true adventurer, a go-getter of an engineer who can take our team to the next level and rocket-launch us into the next galaxy. Is it you, traveler?
Who we are…
Collectively, we’ve attended top schools like Stanford and Harvard, speak 10 languages (not including programming languages, of course), and are located in eight different locations (we have a distributed team). Of course, what is impressive isn’t where we are from or where we are now, but what we’ve accomplished. In the last year, we’ve shipped [insert your product here], which has garnered $[insert revenue generated] in revenue (or include some other metric, like how many customers use your product).
What we need…
[Your company] is looking for a seasoned engineer to join a stellar team working on [product area]. While this is an individual contributor role, you’ll be involved in many aspects– helping evolve our existing architecture, working with teams to improve operations, and implementing new features and functionality.
The job involves the following responsibilities:
- Build robust and scalable software in Ruby, Scala, and/or Java
- Design and create services and system architecture for your projects, and contribute and provide feedback to other team members
- Help improve our code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms and products
- Work with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule
Who we think will be a great fit…
We’re looking for someone who has an interest in system architecture, but a passion for getting things done. You’re smart enough to work at top companies, but you’re picky about finding the right role (this is more than just a job, right?). You’re experienced, but you also like to learn new things. And you want to work with smart people and have fun building something great.
You also meet most (if not more) of the following requirements:
- 2-7 years of recent hands-on coding and software design
- Bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree in a related field, or an intriguing reason for not having one
- A track record of projects completed on time – you are a flawless executor, not a procrastinator
- You find satisfaction in a job well done and want to solve head-scratching challenges
- Solid OOP and software design knowledge – you should know how to create software that’s extensible, reusable and meets desired architectural objectives
- Experience with Java or Ruby, and the willingness to learn new technologies (experience with other object-oriented languages is okay too, but our code is Java, Ruby and Scala, so you should be able to get up-to-speed on at least one of them quickly)
- Experience with Linux/Unix and scripting languages like Python, Perl, shell scripting, etc.
- You’re so much fun to work with, that if you were working on the weekend, we’d want to join you.
To apply for this position, send your resume by clicking the “Apply Now” button.
Return to Job Description Do’s and Don’ts or get great examples for other tech positions below:
- Back-End Software Engineer
- Big Data Engineer
- Cloud Engineer
- Database Developer
- DevOps Engineer
- Mobile Developer
- Project Manager
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Architect