Looking for a job posting template for Database Administrator jobs hat can help you attract top talent? We’ve got you covered. Use this free database administrator job description sample template to assist you in finding the most qualified and experienced Database Administrator to support your company’s needs—and make the hiring process easier on you, too. Just post this template to our site and make necessary edits to highlight your company’s specific requirements and offerings.
Hiring other positions? Check out our job description template library.
Database Administrator Job Summary
We’re in search of a Database Administrator who is highly experienced, detail oriented, and incredibly organized to help support our team and keep our databases in tip top shape. That means you’ll be managing all of our databases, testing their capabilities and troubleshooting as required, designing and planning new databases when needed, and generally handling all of our database-related needs to ensure the company has constant and consistent access to our information. You’ll also be in charge of handling both the back and front end, combining administrative capabilities with the more technical aspect of the role. If you’re knowledgeable in data manipulation languages, have extensive experience in database management approaches, and are driven to help us meet our database needs, we want to hear from you.
Database Administrator Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the performance of our database systems and address any problems that may arise.
- Maintain our databases including installing upgrades, protecting against threats, managing storage and security, various implementations and other associated duties.
- Performing routine backups and managing recovery using high-speed techniques to ensure our data is safe if memory loss occurs, offering guidance as needed.
- Build high-quality databases that meet both back end and front end needs, minimizing downtime and offering fast query responses.
- Assist with SQL query tuning and configurations, while crafting and deploying associated patches.
- Assist our Application Developers, database programmers and IT project managers with their database-related needs.
- Implement, tune and upgrade DBMS installations while assisting with code review and schema design.
- Establish Database Administrator best practices.
- Build and maintain maintenance plans, with the ability to monitor root causes and swiftly resolve any issues.
- Maintain and document audit trails, report on usage and performance, testing upgrades and sharing statistical information in accordance with company needs.
- Create database policies that outline standards and procedures for associated team members.
- Stay current with industry best practices and make recommendations on server improvements when needed.
Database Administrator Skills/Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field is required.
- Certification as MCSD or MCDBA for .NET not required, but a definite bonus.
- Fluent in a variety of data manipulation languages such as Oracle Database, PostgreSQL, Hadoop or MS SQL, and programming languages including PL/SQL coding and API.
- Experience with Oracle, Teradata, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle OEM, Teradata Studio, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Teradata SQL, Microsoft Transact-SQL, UNIX or AIX, SQL Server Database Administration 2000/2005/2008 R2 and/or 2012, and/or Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008/2012.
- Expert understanding of data backup and recovery methodology, performance optimization and tuning, security and integrity, database migration, managing database connections, documentation, coding and design.
- Minimum three years of experience in working as a Database Administrator, including managing, administrating and tuning databases, particularly with SQL server.
- Experience with third-party tools, DBA case tools (both front and backend), and strong knowledge of schema and data concepts and standards.
- Capable of creating, managing and modifying custom reports as needed.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills that assist in swift troubleshooting if/when issues arise.
- Highly communicative (both verbal and written), with the ability to work both with a team or on your own as required.
- Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to multitask and still maintain a precise attention to detail.
Related Database Administrator Hiring Resources