Gender Discrimination a Major Tech Problem: Pew

New data from the Pew Research Center suggests many women view gender discrimination as a major problem in the technology industry.

Some 44 percent of women told Pew that it was a “major” issue, versus 29 percent of men. Another 36 percent of women said it was a “minor problem,” compared to 37 percent of men.

As Pew notes, the tech industry is already wrestling with issues related to diversity and underrepresentation. “Critics of Silicon Valley have cited high-profile cases as evidence that the industry has fostered a hostile workplace culture,” read its note accompanying the data. “For their part, tech companies point to their commitment to increasing workforce diversity, even as some employees claim the industry is increasingly hostile to white males.”

According to the survey, nearly half of women under 50 thought that gender discrimination was a huge problem in tech, versus 39 percent of women 50 or older. “Women who work in computer jobs are also more likely than men in these jobs to consider gender discrimination a major problem in the tech industry (43 percent to 31 percent),” Pew added. “About twice as many men (32 percent) as women (15 percent) who work in these jobs say gender discrimination is not a problem in the industry.”

Earlier this month, an extensive survey by Dice and Bustle found that women regard pay inequality within the tech industry as a pervasive issue. Some 82 percent of surveyed women said there was a “wage gap,” and another 60 percent indicated they were treated differently than their male colleagues. Moreover, the belief in a gap increased with age: only 16 percent of Generation X women don’t think it exists, versus a full quarter of their Millennial counterparts.

Several tech firms have attempted to adjust their respective employee pools to include more underrepresented groups. As demonstrated by their annual diversity reports, however, progress is often incremental. Representatives of these companies often blame the country’s educational pipeline for a lack of suitable candidates.

Comments

7 Responses to “Gender Discrimination a Major Tech Problem: Pew”

October 30, 2017 at 2:32 pm, Jack Brown said:

Age and racial discrimination a much, much, much bigger problem that’s not studied by racists liberals. Blacks don’t even gain entry into these jobs and because there not qualified but because of there race.

November 02, 2017 at 6:24 am, JR said:

Gender and age discrimination do exist out there. Development is filled with men who think extremely highly of their coding abilities which makes it difficult to work with them because no one is as good as they are.

At my current company, if I am in a development meeting and make a suggestion, my manager says nothing but if later one of the men makes the same suggestion, my manager says oh, Jason, that’s a great idea. I have found overt gender discrimination but less overt age discrimination in my career. Looking forward to retirement if I’m not replaced by an offshore team before retirement.

November 02, 2017 at 7:03 am, Joe said:

Hey Nicky, the real gender discrimination in tech is against males, especially against those who are born in the US, are over 35, and white. Why does Dice allow this fool to write about this leftist crap?

November 02, 2017 at 10:06 am, Mark Syman said:

The author used to write for the Washington Post. He is a leftist. That explains this leftist article

November 02, 2017 at 10:33 am, James said:

I thought the political spectrum had the topology of a circle…..going far left gets you far right haha.

From a white male: I am not certain what you accomplish feeling pity for yourself: Are you sure you are not discriminating yourself?

The real “discrimination” is to millenials: Actually this is not discrimination: the world is very different before-and-after the last recession.

Actually, there is a lot of “discrimination” towards angry people. We have the right to be angry!

November 19, 2017 at 1:54 pm, David said:

I think it depends on the specific corporation. I used to work for a major international tech company (everyone has heard of them) that specifically promoted some people only on the basis of them being women and/or minorities. I had a boss that didn’t want someone promoted but HR came in and promoted them only based on that reason. Additionally, I was passed over for multiple positions and promotions and was specifically told it was because I am a “white guy.” I even had one former female manager who told me that if I was a minority or a female, combined with my skills, I would easily have been promoted to General Manager or VP. (She was upset that I wasn’t getting the promotions.)

November 03, 2017 at 6:30 pm, Lili said:

How is diversity hiring primarily male Indians? And how will this support hiring more women considering the very noticeable cultural divide and discrimination against women which continues to be a staple of Indian society?