Tech Jobs in Danger of Becoming Extinct

If you’ve worked in tech for a while, you’ve probably seen a significant number of jobs become obsolete. But the truth is that most occupations don’t exactly disappear overnight. If your job is becoming moribund, you often have time to evolve into a new position.

“Tech jobs have a pretty long tail,” explained Doug Washington, director of recruiting strategy for TriCom Technical Services.

Most roles morph or combine with another position—and over time, demand for the former position starts to wane. At that point, a job is on the verge of becoming extinct. Check out these jobs that have found their way onto the endangered list.

Manual Software Testers

Employers are increasingly requesting automation engineers in lieu of manual software testers, Washington explained.

Automation engineers need to perform automated testing and some elements of manual testing, among other tasks. If you’re a manual software tester, you should gain as much experience as possible (and as soon as possible) with automated testing tools—those who remain employed will have the ability to write plan cases, scripts, and code for automated tests.

Data Analysts

The “pure” data analyst role is (very slowly) going away. In most organizations, data analysts are ending up replaced by business analysts and data scientists who wrangle massive datasets, write algorithms and code, identify trends, and help create business strategy. In some companies, these analysts and scientists even serve as part-time scrum masters. (For a breakdown of the differences between data scientists and data analysts, check out this highly informative Quora thread.)

Traditional Database Administrators (DBAs)

Traditional (or mono-focused) database administrators (also known as DBAs) are being replaced by data managers and database specialists who have much broader responsibilities, explained Baiju Mehta, president of tech recruiting firm Right Click.

In addition to monitoring database performance, data managers and database specialists may be responsible for creating access and control policies and disaster recovery procedures, analyzing data, and supporting application design. As more and more businesses turn to automation software and cloud services to maintain databases, meanwhile, the need for tech pros who only focus on maintaining databases may decline.

Computer Hardware Engineers

Jobs for computer hardware engineers have increased just 8 percent over the last five years, based on an analysis of Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data conducted exclusively for Dice by Mark Schill of Praxis Strategy Group.

On the surface, 8 percent growth might seem okay—until you take into account how, during the same period, some 15 high-tech occupations also tracked by the BLS grew an average of 14 percent. To make matters even worse, computer hardware engineering jobs have declined 15 percent since 2001.

Recruiters have also confirmed the trend. The growth of cloud services platforms, combined with falling hardware prices, has led to fewer requests for server admins, computer hardware support technicians, and professionals who have worked on the hardware side of router and storage disk management.

Software Application Support Specialists

Many companies no longer need someone to serve as a liaison between users and developers, thanks to the growth of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), the cloud, and the expanding roles of developers and UX pros. Companies are more interested in hiring someone who knows how to manage software services and software configurations in the cloud.

Windows/Linux/Unix Systems Administrators

The DevOps movement is impacting the demand for traditional systems administrators. “Systems administrators are being replaced by DevOps engineers and DevOps tool administrators,” Washington said. “Some 80 percent of the job duties in these new roles involve systems admin and engineering, and the other 20 percent involve development duties.”

System administrators still have a role to play, he added. But they must learn how to write and deploy code and understand the “server side” if they want to access the best opportunities.

Email/Exchange Administrators

Email administrators (or anyone who runs an on-premises Exchange environment) should be worried about how long their job will last. “It took a long time to get here, but over the last 12 to 24 months, we have seen a decline in demand as companies shift to Office 365,” Mehta said.

Production Programmers

Production-oriented programming jobs grew just 7 percent over the past five years, and they are expected to decline by 8 percent between now and 2024, according to the BLS. While there is still a need for programming skills, there’s no doubt that the dedicated role is changing.

Employers want full-stack developers who possess problem-solving and critical thinking skills, design skills, emotional intelligence, and the ability to collaborate and communicate with users – among other attributes. In other words, they want programmers who can easily become team leaders, or shift to handling other aspects of the tech stack.

So while coding skills provide a solid foundation for a career in tech, production programmers will need to expand their skillset to compete for the best jobs of the future.

Comments

57 Responses to “Tech Jobs in Danger of Becoming Extinct”

October 24, 2017 at 10:47 am, Tim said:

The solution is to hire more H1-Bs because we don’t have enough already. We need more inexperienced, english-as-a-second-language amateurs to come to America and [expletive] some more.

American managers at AMERICAN COMPANIES are the problem.

October 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm, C. Wengerter said:

Amen!

October 26, 2017 at 2:25 pm, Rajesh-Steal-A-Job said:

Bingo! The lie of “not enough technicians/engineers/etc.” – when what they mean is not enough compliant, non-back talking, non-critical thinking, ethically challenged, salary slaves.

Because they do such a good job reforming the third world…

October 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm, Will said:

Constant metamorphosis of the tech career is a huge problem. The educational costs vs salary almost never pan if you started working the above roles. 70 to 80k roles may afford that development but, the 40-60k do not.

Don’t blame H1-Bs! That’s ridiculously false. Most of these jobs are being outsourced to off shore centers, cloud infrastructure as a service businesses or low wage enthusiastic book savvy noobs. Coding is now part of the environment. I’ve never coded, most do not and use google unless they are being paid very well. That will change also as tech grows. Again, career change? If you’re not changing with the career constantly, apparently it’s the better choice.

October 24, 2017 at 10:26 pm, Chris Marsh said:

Emotional intelligence. In other words Aspies and autistics don’t get to play? Such a shame. Most would be good at it. Most really want to too.

October 25, 2017 at 2:05 am, T. Yon said:

Your Recruiting Specialist is way behind the curve on what a trained and experienced DBA really does. It is all the things they identify as the domain of data managers as well as creating access and control policies and disaster recovery procedures, analyzing data, and supporting application design. If your DBA is not heavily involved if not managing and shepherding the realization of these activities you have grossly under utilized a good DBA.

October 26, 2017 at 7:09 am, Chris F. said:

I’ll second that, in my 25 years of DBA I have never heard of a Maintenance DBA, rather “maintenance” is just one of those boring tasks that needs to be done and in my experience is 100% automated and just needs to be monitored. I can’t remember the last time I actually performed any maintenance manually unless you include software patching as part of DBA maintenance and that is typically not a DBA responsibility.

October 26, 2017 at 8:01 am, C said:

1000000000000% agreed.

October 26, 2017 at 11:32 am, DBA Wife said:

Exactly. If the recruiter is placing people in “maintenance DBA” jobs (a job description I’ve never heard of myself), then the recruiter has uninformed clients. If that job existed, people might take it to get a start, but would be gone the second a better opportunity arose, which would be pretty quickly.

As someone who’s been married to a DBA for many years, I can attest that DBAs do all those things and more. I can’t think of the last job where my husband didn’t do things like disaster recovery or would be the point person on things cloud-related.

Although this recruiter seems totally focused that everyone is moving to the cloud and everyone uses SaaS – maybe for people who think Access is a good database, but most companies aren’t going to pay, say, Oracle to do everything. Even then, yeah, maybe for production, but there are the many non-production systems for even traditional databases. (When I test, I always test in production)

October 26, 2017 at 6:54 pm, Bicanoo_magic said:

You have to be kidding me! You ‘test’ in Production? You wouldn’t last a second breath in any of the environments I’ve worked in for the last 30 years. You have NFI.

October 26, 2017 at 6:12 am, Carlos said:

This article presents a great view of the current landscape and provides a road map for those who are sitting in those positions. If you are in that position you should consider how you need to pivot to make yourself more valuable to the market and/or your organization. You can complain about the H1, but it’s really out of context to this article. It really boils down to what you do. Increase your value and pivot.

October 26, 2017 at 8:16 am, johnathan said:

While the focus of the article is true the trends are easily seen in the heaviest of IT industries, like healthcare, and government. The focus to a full stack developer is because the traditional desktop application isn’t considered scale able beyond the firewall which is a farce at best. The move to sass is simply a push by the tech giants to put people out of work. Their marketing ploy is unfortunately working. All the while I particularly don’t care. It is what it is. One minute I’m told write this in vb.net or c#.net, the next I’m scripting python. It’s all just tools. Learn to use them. If anyone that started in tech thought that their knowledge was good forever they didn’t keep up with tech trends at all. Most of these changes though are frankly downsizing. It’s really an indication on a desire for leaner operations. The more you can get a person to do for you the less your actually paying them. All I really can say that’s positive about any of this is thank God there’s pluralsight.

October 26, 2017 at 8:18 am, Matt Price said:

Well, I decided to leave IT after 25 years in the field. The reason is quite simple – the demands that I stay up 36 hours to fix a problem that I documented six months ago and it finally blew up. And NOT get paid the overtime – has broken the camel in half. That last straw…

Take on that I have spent well over $100,000 in additional education for certifications and the like – and pay has not gone up at all. Last time my pay went up was in 2004 when I told the company – pay has to go up or I’m walking. And I got the bump, and then I got canned – and spent two years fighting a bunch of non-english speaking yahoo’s to get a job doing more and getting paid less.

Do I blame H1-B’s no. I blame the managers who have projects that require coders to interface lethargic and over bloated applications into the server systems and Active Directory – who then complain because the job that they brought us on deck for is not good enough that they have to have someone who knows how to program in Cobol, C++ and RPM to get their crap app to work with Microsoft products.

I have seen it in four places so far – and it’s not getting better. Best practices are thrown out the window and I wind up having to not do the job hired for to clean up crappy code from the out of town developers.

Then I get brought into the office because my Bologna and Cheese Sammich made someone sick because of the smell – but the fresh unclean armpit stench from two buildings down don’t.

Yeah – I think now is a great time to move out of IT.

October 26, 2017 at 9:15 am, Tim said:

I remember the first-wave of off-shores from India, back in 1991, it was awful then and awful today. Half of them can’t speak English and most cannot innovate at all, they wait to be told what to do.

The problem TODAY is really not about skills or value, because the conversation starts out with “What’s your rate, and what kind of salary are you looking for?”… Get ready for the next part. They’re going to offer YOU what they paid the H1-B because now we’re in the backlash of fewer H1-Bs to extract cheap labor from–labor that has almost NO VALUE. YOU the American get to fill the H1-B slot AT THE H1-B valuation.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s asking about salary up front in the conversation was considered rude, but today it’s all about the COST of the labor not the VALUE of the labor. So WHY-THE-F am I learning new skills? So that a cheap H1-B can steal my job? It’s happened every single time I come in, I do the work, then they replace you with an Indian.

I have to remind non-Indian recruiters to SELL ON VALUE NOT ON PRICE. But most of these recruiters today use software to read your resume because all of them come from real estate or car sales, and now they’re in the technology business pimping 6-figure technologists like they’re flipping real estate or cars. Not to mention the ignorants in HR who have no clue about what you do or the VALUE OF YOUR LABOR.

And this current crop of ignorants from the sales world sell into IT shops run by babysitter managers, many who don’t even know the technology, most who have no personality and ZERO LEADERSHIP SKILLs. When’s the last time somebody from management actually came by and said hi to you–especially if you’re a contractor? Managers today are simply babysitters who have zero insight into actually leading teams. The industry has actually devolved, not evolved. IT has gotten worse since the 1990’s not better.

Since the VALUE of the labor doesn’t seem to matter I too am planning my exit from Information Technology. I see my retirement years making around 36K a year bagging groceries, selling t-shirts, waitering, or some other service work and being much happier without the Indians coming in and constantly taking my job away. AMERICAN ‘MANAGERS’ are the problem, they don’t give a S about the work, just pack the team with cheap labor that can’t speak English or even know what to do next without being told.

October 26, 2017 at 10:58 am, Mike said:

Tim – I know you’ve already seen it, but it’s now a dog eat it’s own tail scenario. 1st level management and 2nd level directors are GCs and they ONLY hire their own kind. A stint at Cisco several years back and I was stunned there were exactly 4 of us left for the entire floor in an otherwise sea of unpronounceable cubicle name tags.

October 28, 2017 at 7:58 pm, Taeki said:

Mike, I know exactly how you feel. But on the bright side you are at least part of the majority. Me being Asian (Jap-American) when it comes to IT hiring, I got bias-sandwiched between the majority Americans and the H1/GCs. If I were part of American WASP or AA, I only have deal w/ one side, which is the red dots H1. Just saying…

October 26, 2017 at 1:11 pm, Rick said:

“What’s your rate, and what kind of salary are you looking for?”

When your conversation begins with questions like that things are starting at a low point and will only get worse. Soon they’re telling you that those job requirements that your background only partially meets–or don’t even appear on your resume at all–aren’t really important. At that point I’m almost ready to feign a bad cellphone connection just to end the call.

(Sorry, it sounds bad to say this but these calls invariably come from someone calling from an overseas boiler room operation–and pretending to be calling from New Jersey, Georgia, or Florida–and speaking with an accent so think that you have to ask for them to repeat most things several times.)

October 26, 2017 at 1:15 pm, Scott Lee said:

Amen brother.. The root problem is the continual decline of line management from leader to babysitter, as their responsibility for project success transfers to a program manager or contract administrator who has no real appreciation of what it takes to get the job done and what a good design even looks like. When management is focused on “playing the game” and avoiding direct responsibility for results, the truly productive workers are scapegoated for what are really planning & management problems. This should all self correct if & when H1B’s and outsourcing are no longer both the cheap alternative and opaque reasons for sub-standard design. I have found the problems you discussed also apply to the mechanical engineering world, and probably throughout american tech industries, with a tipping point in the early 90’s when internet bandwidth started supporting the outsource to India model. Properly used the India model can work, especially in getting the “grind” work done overnight by a team in India working with (not against) the time difference. However, to throw entire projects over the wall to Mumbai is asking for a failure that management will not own up to and blame the USA engineering staff for. I (semi) retired early because I got fed up with competing with cheap substandard labor driven by short sighted management practices.

October 27, 2017 at 11:38 pm, Joeseph said:

“I see my retirement years making around 36K a year bagging groceries, selling t-shirts, waitering, or some other service work and being much happier without the Indians coming in and constantly taking my job away.”

Oooooooooooooooooooh boy are you in for a rough time.

Those jobs were all taken by foreigners (although originating much closer to the US than India) a very long time ago. You might have even laughed at the people who were complaining about it back then, or perhaps told them that that’s what they get for not studying hard enough in school.

$36k a year waiting tables and bagging groceries? Try $26k.

October 26, 2017 at 8:24 am, JoeSchmoe said:

wow, I thought I was the only one who recognized H1-B workers in IT is out of hand —

October 26, 2017 at 8:25 am, Dr Di said:

It’s always been inevitable that the the introduction of all new technologies would age as it evolves. It’s the nature of human growth too.
I’ve been in the experience since the intro to Digital engineering started in field service at Tektronix in the 70s , where all the analog guys were freaking out at the changes, fearing they’d be obsolete, it’s been amazing to watch and be part of it all.

October 26, 2017 at 9:04 am, MrRight said:

The big issue now is IT is being an Indian mafia of sorts. You got Indians getting in high level spots wherever you see that you will see they hire there own people, sub contractors, etc

There is a lot of kickback going on. They bring in inexperienced people in loads by design to get billable hours. I have been in meetings and was shocked to see they negotiate example $100 an hour contract manager gets $40 of it for bringing there people on board

October 26, 2017 at 10:20 am, Tim said:

Bingo!

T-Mobile in Bellevue Washington is the poster child for an infestation of H1-Bs, and totally overrun with Indians at all levels of management.

The entire management spine, from 1st-level all the way up are Indians. Americans don’t stand a chance, you have a ZERO career unless you are from India. They marshall teams in a coder gulag of amateurs pipelined in and out like clockwork. The ultimate/final C-level managers are not Indian, and yes, I’ve talked to one of them directly. The C-level see you only as ‘variable labor’, you’re just a wall street metric. Most of the work product is actually meaningless, it’s just busy work, run by a few who actually know what to do surrounded by amateurs given simple tasks. The busy work builds the billable, and it’s just a great business for Indians. Americans not so much.

So for me Information Technology has become simply a race to the bottom, not a space race or some great thing doing some great technolgy. It’s just coder gulags and code slavers running the coder slaves. Coders are duped into religions of learning obtuse languages, code,code,code, and code some more! And thinking that being a code librarian with GIT is a thing to aspire to… Life is more than tech, and certainly the IT sector has become a complete shit-show.

And by the way Americans need to unionize or get out, so for me I see an exit strategy not a career. I know unionization will never work, most people in tech were taught unions-is-bad so that brick wall is a waste of time, it’s better to get out and let the thing cave in on its own greed.

October 26, 2017 at 9:11 am, Brian said:

If there are tax incentives for hiring HB-1 visa workers thru a labor pool importer, and the company hiring them are getting highly skilled people at less pay then the same skilled worker already here its stands to reason that there would be more of them. It doesn’t help that here in the US the number of young people that choose to go to an IT school is declining

October 26, 2017 at 9:12 am, Rsrzr said:

Not getting a raise in IT since 2004, that is far from the norm, you either were not that good, didn’t have the skills, or sat passively while the world passed you by. I just got out of the DBA field (no where close to being a typical DBA for the last 17 years) and I have adjusted my skills all the time since using mainframes in the 70’s to SDS with databases currently. I paid $0 for any education during the 40 years, didn’t need any bullshit certifications, just needed to be a damn good/highly technical/up to date in technology employee. Pretty simple process actually.

October 26, 2017 at 10:49 am, Matt Price said:

Negative – these were all required by the employer – as the job changed they figured the skills that you had that were no longer needed didn’t matter, and they could keep you at the rate.

So, now that I have gone from one certification to the next, to the next – I’m done. They just asked me to go get certifications in CISSP, and I won’t do it if they keep me at the current level of pay.

This is the third company I have worked for – in which they have asked for more certs, and in three cases – cut pay. One of them was IBM and their useless POS certifications for their crap Java based products.

October 26, 2017 at 9:14 am, Dorian said:

Why would you hire more H1-Bs when there is a wealth of talent here in the US? Cost? H1-Bs as a resource should be secondary to hiring locally because it makes sense. The insurgence of H1-B’s as, I lived through it, was due to cost vs skill, however, we have learned that although this was a good idea in concept, it has not been as fruitful in practice for various reasons. I like this article and much of it makes sense because there is and always will be an evolution in the tech industry.

October 26, 2017 at 9:25 am, Leo Lee said:

How about the dinosaur IBM Zos mainframe? It is already extinct?

October 26, 2017 at 10:58 am, Lindsey said:

The problem with contracting is that it is implicitly temporary unless it’s contract-to-hire. The employer is saying I only want you here to do a little job for a little while, and any expertise you gain while you’re here, any knowledge of the systems, any knowledge of your own code or anybody else’s, doesn’t make you worth keeping around. In this scenario, the employer commits themselves to losing valuable knowledge, and that’s short sighted and foolish.

October 26, 2017 at 11:45 am, DBA Wife said:

Contract-to-hire is a lie. That’s what recruiters and managers say when they don’t want to pay extra for a temporary worker or have had no luck finding someone temporary to do the job. Until recruiters and contractors make it so there’s a financial penalty for reneging on hiring when the contract period is close to an end, this will keep happening. Direct hire or contract only. None of this contract-to-hire, um, stuff.

October 26, 2017 at 11:14 am, Edward Ozuna said:

Im sick of the field 17 years doing tbis

October 26, 2017 at 11:20 am, Dps said:

Stop complaining about how the man is screwing you and create your own business. There are millions of businesses out there that need your help but YOU have to sell your services directly to them. I have little respect for the non entrepreneur w-2 mooch who complains about their salary, benefits etc. Get some balls and a business license and go kick some butt!

October 26, 2017 at 11:55 am, Ryan said:

17yr IT guy here that has done everything from Desktop, Networking, Server, Exchange, (Jack of all trades) because when working for a poorly run Buisnesses to Hospital, a 3-4 person IT dept is in charge of 400 – 500 people is ridiculous, but is the new standard. Pile on daily meetings, new office projects (10-45 PC’s, wiring, layout, and being the lead) C level members saying “Hey make my iPad work” on a system he has been told that we can not support countless times and 24/7 once week per month on call shifts.
Yeah, I got burned out so bad I had to stop. But what is a 46 yrear old to do? I have been out of work for over an year and have decided to get my CCNA just to go back.

PS. I hate you computers….

October 26, 2017 at 12:06 pm, James Frazier said:

A lot of the problems here are caused by Microsoft and others attempts to dumb-down the job to make it accessible by the ‘Right Brained’ crowd. Problem solving ‘Left Brainers’ are being replaced by lower paid ‘C’ students that passed the tests but couldn’t create anything if their lives depended on it !

October 26, 2017 at 12:31 pm, matt said:

I used to do I.T. but I couldn’t find a job because everything was being outsourced.
After a stint on unemployment I got hired for ecommerce data entry because the offshore workers were doing such a poor job. I automated my own position and theirs with VBA. Now a python script I wrote does inventory management job daily through api’s that 50 offshore workers couldn’t do. I’m also doing JavaScript now because they fired the site designers because I was cheaper. I have renegotiated my wage twice already but I still make less than 40 k in the SF Bay area with no benefits. It’s just not livable to be a wage slave employee anymore.

October 26, 2017 at 12:51 pm, Shams said:

I blame H1-B1 and foreign students;90% of my class is full of them! There should be tough regulations on only providing them the education rather then hiring them for cheap labor. Though I am not against foreign students and H1-B1 holders, but I am against them talking over my career for cheap labor and [expletive] work. Tech companies claim they are “talented” but in reality it’s all about cheap labor.

October 26, 2017 at 1:42 pm, J said:

The Trojan Horse H1-B program was created for employers that needed no mainframe talent. But, our Government in a state of stupidity opened the door to let H1-Bs in for all PC and mainframe positions. This action suppressed mainframe salaries back to the 20-30 year level. How can I make such a statement? the loss of the the value of money, check out: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

We the people that created I.T. (Data Processing) did not need uneducated H1-Bs to take our mainframe jobs. It is very bad, when a U.S. employee has to train a foreigner who “fakes” learning and speaks only broken English. After your job has been turned over to a member of the Trojan Horse, you will be blamed when they fail.

There are over 1.000.000 H1-Bs in the USA with expired visas (follow a recommendation string in Linkedin – few go home – 90% stay). Our Government refuses to protect us and deport these law breaking criminals.

Today, attempt to find a mainframe consulting contract. The H1-Bs come out of the woodwork, like termites to contact you at suppressed rates. They never figure in the $30 per hour travel/lodging expenses to work an away from home contract.

Why does our Government not deport these people. Folks, we have a very corrupt Government with Congressmen taking under-the-table money. Trump wants to drain the swamp, this would be more appropriately named the Cesspool. There may be liabilities draining it, as the contamination would spread, what a smelly mess that would be. Also, our colleges quit teaching mainframe related courses, but the H1-Bs are taught COBOL, etc in their country.

“Their” unspoken goal is to control the world’s I.T. They are entrenched in all aspects of I.T. in U.S. business. Would it be wise to have a foreigner write code for software controlled military hardware?? I think this would be a very high military risk. Or, perhaps they would steal military plans as has happened (in my opinion) with the latest U.S. fighters. Checkout the F-15, F-22 and F35 against the latest Russian and Chinese aircraft. Do these look mostly like copies?

October 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm, the Baron said:

Manual testers are going away, yes, but even automated testers are, too. At least, the jobs get sent overseas.

October 26, 2017 at 3:27 pm, J said:

Folks, we need to pound the Government regarding the H1-BTrojan Horse. They won’t listen to just a few people. Trying to contact your Congressmen will not be effective (in my opinion (legal term here)), most are on the take via Lobbyists or people like the Prime Minister of India). Lobbyists control our Government in favor of big business – not We The People. Examples are Section 1706 of the 1986 Tax Revision Act (gee was it revised) and the H1-B (intrusion act). I wonder how much IBM paid Moynihan to pork the tax bill with Section 1706 (it all but names names of independent consultants) – back then, you were required to have a Corporation to get around the blockage issue. Today, it is more lenient, the threat still hangs over client heads to pay unpaid taxes. Then there is the mother of all fauxs the H1-B visas to suppress salaries and take jobs away from the Americans who invented I.T.

Here is Trump’s contact e-mail: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

It needs to be flooded with millions of complaints regarding the H-1B Trojan Horse. He needs to forget the “Wall” and focus on a much more serious issue that directly affects American I.T. professionals.

Folks, do I have your “Eye”? Please load-up Trumps e-mail address. He is our only hope. The declaration of a physical war would be better. Then, we could go out and vent some of our 20+ year frustration. Thank you.

October 26, 2017 at 4:03 pm, PST said:

Wow, I had no idea a technology website like Dice was a code name for “open forum to express your bigotry and, racist comments” … could it be that the reason for some people having a difficult time finding or keeping an IT job is that they have bad attitudes made blatantly obvious by those hateful racist comments?

…. And no, I am not Indian … just a human being resisting the temptation to blame others with the use of such racist comments

October 26, 2017 at 5:16 pm, Ed said:

PST, no you are a morally superior liberal calling your moral inferiors racists. The pain of Americans losing their jobs and livelihoods to foreigners is real. No you aren’t from India. Let me guess — you are a Mexican ‘dreamer’.

October 26, 2017 at 5:47 pm, PST said:

Hi Ed, Thank you for your feedback – I am afraid you are wrong on your guess … (not Mexican, and not a dreamer). I am an international traveled American citizen with a never ending pursue of education, professing a Christian faith, believer in conservative political views, and successful private IT consultant. It is unfortunate that due to a lack of intelligent arguments displayed in your “name calling” posting, I cannot have an intelligent conversation with you. Best of luck in your professional life – God bless you!

October 26, 2017 at 8:23 pm, Ed said:

Yeah right, again. Do you ever get tired of lecturing us all about your high minded principles and how inferior we all are? And you can keep your phony sentiment to your self righteous self. I guess your concerns don’t extend to all the people who are suffering the pain of unemployment because of unfair treatment by American corporate management. You’re too good and successful to care about the ‘little people’.

October 26, 2017 at 9:09 pm, J said:

PST,

Are you familiar with NKJV Matthew 7?

October 26, 2017 at 9:26 pm, John Fischer said:

Hi PST,
You mention others have bigotry and racist comments. Who are you referring to and what are the comments?
Respectfully,
John

October 29, 2017 at 11:38 am, Joeseph said:

I don’t see any racist comments. Where are they?

Also, the “if you point out a problem and express frustration over it, you have a negative attitude and therefor deserve the problem” way of thinking needs to die.

It’s not constructive at all, and I believe it is said simply to get people to shut up and take it, disguised as some kind of empowerment.

October 26, 2017 at 5:37 pm, John J Fischer III said:

What I am hearing is they are doing away with the self proclaimed Information Technologist (without a BS degree in the field). The employers want somebody with well rounded skills including people skills. And with many other BS degrees, IT requires you stay on top of the many changes in the field.

People skills was already taught when you did your senior project in college (at most colleges). Didn’t you have to talk to the customer to determine their needs in college?

October 26, 2017 at 7:17 pm, Rick said:

How can you get experience with automated testing tools when your employer won’t buy any?

October 26, 2017 at 9:03 pm, Paul Golda said:

This article is too pessimistic or written by someone who is not in the field. I don’t know a traditional DBA that would not want to become a data managers or a database specialists. The fundamentals of the jobs are the same, the DBA has to just learn few new skills. they can do that easily from internet. If the DBA doesn’t want to learn few new skill, there must be something wrong with him or the DBA is ready to retire. Also, if the employer is telling you that they are letting you go because you are only traditional DBA and not a data manager/database specialists then that is not the real reason they are letting you go.

October 26, 2017 at 9:49 pm, Jack Mehoff said:

Wow, this comment board is depressing. After 14 years of unemployment due to IT outsourcing, I’m depressed enough already. Thanks, guys!

October 26, 2017 at 10:07 pm, Lady Write said:

My brothers – Thank you for venting on such an important topic that has persisted, yes!, since the early ‘90’s with the first wave of Indians in IT, and a few PhDs came even earlier. As a tech writing pro, with the T-Mobile experience mentioned (elevator rides were something else), now we’re battling plagiarism – today, it’s reverse-eng your docs to find what was stolen and fix it before someone else does and sues. Really. What happened to excellence in documenting what you’ve created? Oh, and we lost our FTE roles decades ago. Well, we keep on keeping on 🙂

October 27, 2017 at 11:46 am, J said:

This comment is to Dice, with whom, I have been a member for several years.

D I C E, it appears that you support Americans and the American way. For those reading this comment that do not support the American way, I suggest that you immediately exit stage left.

D I C E, back to my comment to you. In review previous comments, many of the people posting are Americans with mainframe experience who have had jobs ripped away from them that were then given to H1-Bs (who later became non-deported H1-Bs with expired visas – breaking the law of our land).

Mainframers are being attacked by foreigners with expired visas (estimated at 1,000,000 plus), then as they grow older, they are eliminated out of the work force by unscrupulous potential employers thru age discrimination. Unscrupulous employers (estimated 99%) use Intelius or other available Internet sites to determine applicant age. They have the necessary words in their EOE statement and promptly ignore it. I can personally attest that the enforcement of the 1967 Age Discrimination Act is a joke.
Today, diversity, diversity, diversity is the name of the game.

The Internet is a perceived friend, but it is also an enemy that provides a worldwide gateway to be used by offshore foreigners to steal American jobs. Foreigners with access to your personal banking, insurance, health records, etc.

I know of an instance where a company had some foreigners (as told by a former employee) come in to do a very small project. This resulted with the terminating of 300 Americans, 30 per month over a 10 month period (2001-2002). In my opinion H1-Bs with expired visas are still roaming the floors of the three story 1/3 mile long building with only escalators.

D I C E, if you support Americans and the American way, I am requesting that these posts be made available (in some form) to President Trump.

Thank you.

October 27, 2017 at 2:29 pm, Van Lepthien said:

There are definite problems with the importation of foreign workers. At a former employer, they posted a notice that they needed to hire someone on a work visa because they couldn’t find anyone in the US to do the job. The pay rate posted was about half of what they were paying US employees to do the same job.

That said, there is a lot of racism on this thread. I’ve worked with people in India and Indian contractors in the US, and I have found them not any worse than employees of any large US consulting firm.

Remember EDS? They got lines-of-code contracts and wrote the worst bloatware ever. And their code was terrible. An economic reorder algorithm throws an error because of division by zero? Add 1 to the denominator in an equation to fix the error – and who cares what havoc that renders to reordering items with a very small unit price?

Remember Arthur Anderson? They were billing $350/hour for a “consultant” to type a document into Microsoft Word because it had originally been published with mainframe software. And he didn’t really type that fast.

My problems with India-based outsourcing companies were actually less severe. I wrote a design that used metadata to dynamically define software function, so that the code itself would not need to be changed when there were configuration changes. The Indian contractor pushed for hard-coding the function, essentially because my design would have cut into their revenue stream in the long term. Fortunately, my management decided that writing something once was a good idea.

The problem isn’t really India and Indians – it’s managers who want to get ahead by illegally undercutting American workers and outsourcing to organizations that are in business of robbing your company blind.

October 27, 2017 at 3:30 pm, PST said:

Great posting
Thank you for the intelligent observations, the use of real life examples, and the courage to call racist comments for what they are: racist
The general theme I found in previous postings was that if you are American and support the American way then you needed to remain silent to racism.
The American way is not one of being afraid of international competition with foreign workers. We welcome the challenge and the competition because we know we have the talent to compete with anyone in the world. With that said I agree we need a better leveled playing field that discourages the unethical use of globalization as a way to displace qualified American workers while continuing to encourage American workers to learn new skills and knowledge. It is not about making foreigners disappear or blame them for everything, it is about a more just playing field and never becoming complacent with our professional education

October 28, 2017 at 3:21 pm, Russell said:

The decline in software developer job postings just in the last 6 months has been a bell-weather as to the future of this industry. In February, there were over 100K of postings, with many junior positions. As of October 15, that figure has dropped to 37K with only 10% being for junior level developers. The future for new IT grads in software is bleak, and many of the boot-camps are already drying up and blowing away.

October 31, 2017 at 9:28 am, Henry G. said:

By the way — since the title of this article is ‘Tech Jobs in Danger of Becoming Extinct’ — might I add the following :
‘Ivory-Tower-Dwelling Spewer of Awful Career Advice’.
With any luck that would result in the permanent firing of the author of articles like these.

October 31, 2017 at 5:21 pm, PSFTGURU said:

Job markets ebb and flow like waves and tides in a bay.
Migrant workers who pick apples for a living are being replaced by 12 arm apple picker robots.
Farm tractor drivers are being replaced by semi-autonomous (driver-less) tractors under control of one person in front of multiple screens displaying the view from above by semi-autonomous drones.
If you want to remain in IT, if you want to thrive in IT or any other area of business or government or non-profit, prepare to be uncomfortable re-purposing your business skills in ways above and beyond coding.
If you want unbiased IT skill supply and demand information, read Human Resources Magazine.
Your career and your current job are two different things.
I suggest for your consideration periodically engaging in an intellectual exercise I started back in the early 80’s.
In a book or spreadsheet, start with 3 columns, Goals, yes, no.
In the goals column, start listing questions. I’ll get you started with the ones that got my butt in gear .
1. Am I happy in my current career?
2. Am I safe in my current job?
3. Are there opportunities for professional growth in my current job?
4. Are there opportunities for promotion in my current job?
5. Are there opportunities for income growth in my current job?
If the answer to #1 is YES and the answer to the rest of the questions is NO, it’s time to look for a new job.
Looking for a new job? Start with question #2 and replace the word “current” with “this job opportunity”.
You should know that it’s always easier to find a new job while still employed.
Don’t concern yourself over competition, real or imagined from India, Ireland, Canada, etc.
Moving out of your comfort zone involves risk. The rewards for taking risks can pay off quite well when investing all that effort in the product.
You are the product. You are a brand.
If you don’t perform the previously mentioned exercise, you are already at risk of failing.
Put simply, there are always waves of change in job markets.
If you are prepared, you can ride the wave and reap the reward (professional survival or better). Ignore the wave and you will be swept away.
Good luck to you all and God speed.