Trump Begins Pushing for H-1B Visa Reform

President Donald Trump is beginning his long-anticipated push to reform the H-1B visa system, which is heavily leveraged by the tech industry to bring in professionals from other countries.

Trump has ordered the departments of Homeland Security, Justice, Labor, and State to review current H-1B policy with an eye toward eliminating fraud and abuse. Those departments will submit recommendations for reform.

“This is the policy that ensures no one gets left behind in America anymore — that we protect our industry from unfair competition, favor the products produced by our fellow citizens and make certain that when jobs open those jobs are given to American workers first,” the White House said in a statement to The Washington Post ahead of Trump’s formal April 18 announcement.

“They should be given to the most skilled and highest paid applicants, and they should never be used to replace Americans,” Trump told an audience in Kenosha, Wisconsin right before he signed the executive order, referring to H-1B visas.

In addition to an H-1B review, the executive order asks the Department of Commerce to emphasize the use of U.S. firms in government contracting.

According to Recode, Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and influential advisor, called tech executives such as Apple CEO Tim Cook and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to warn them of the impending order before it became public.

The big question is whether, at the conclusion of that departmental review, Trump will actually push for changes—and whether Congress will go along with him. Although Trump suggested during his Presidential campaign that the H-1B visa program deserved elimination (“We shouldn’t have it, it’s very, very bad for workers,” he famously said at one point), a number of companies claim they need it in order to source professionals with highly specialized skills. Severe curtailing of the program could radically affect how many tech firms do business.

Ramping Up

Earlier this year, various federal agencies began making incremental changes to the H-1B program. On March 31, a policy memo asked U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) employees to determine whether H-1B applicants are actually doing jobs that require specialized knowledge. Although that memo was ostensibly intended only as an update to a directive in a seventeen-year-old handbook used by the Nebraska Service Center (NSC), one of the facilities processing H-1Bs, some outside observers thought it portended bigger shifts in the visa program.

“This is a step in the right direction in terms of tightening up the eligibility,” Ron Hira, an associate professor at Howard University and expert in H-1Bs, told Bloomberg after the memo’s release. “You’re going to have to beef up your argument for why you need this person.”

A few days later, on April 3, USCIS suspended premium processing for all H-1B petitions. “This temporary suspension will help us to reduce overall H-1B processing times,” USCIS claimed in a note, while suggesting that the time savings would allow it to catch up on processing the “high volume of incoming petitions.”

Neither of those moves, however, constituted sweeping reform. And although some lawmakers pushed bills to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives designed to alter the H-1B program in significant ways, Trump himself stayed silent. Now that could change, pending the outcome of this new review.

Image Credit: JStone/Shutterstock.com

Comments

36 Responses to “Trump Begins Pushing for H-1B Visa Reform”

April 20, 2017 at 7:00 am, vocalone said:

“When jobs open those jobs are given to Americans first.” That is the whole idea behind H1B so how do you reform H1B when Americans are not interested in Science and Math, and lack tech skills? Then there is no fraud.

IF
title == ‘US Jobs’ OR
primary_employer == ‘US Company’
THEN
RETURN ‘US Citizen’
ELSE
RETURN ‘H1B Visa’
END

April 20, 2017 at 7:25 am, Bob Miller said:

AMEN and it’s about time. Thank GOD Trump has the balls to finally do something to protect the American worker. I’ve been in IT for 20 years and it has been COMPLETELY polluted by these so-called experts coming over from Inida, mostly. Make no mistake, they’re here to undercut American workers and take jobs from Americans in our own backyard. I work for one of the big financial firms and unless you work in a company where this is prevalent, you have NO IDEA. Don’t listen to the liberal cries of it being racist…the high-paying industry of IT has been ruined by this 3rd world scum. Further, they are NOT more highly skilled than we are at home. These scumbag consulting firms inflate their credentials and accomplishments, and they get on-site and don’t know a damn thing. It’s astonishing. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Thank you President Trump…for making a difference. Hopefully, this is just a start of more reform to come.

April 20, 2017 at 8:11 am, ReplaceTheGOP said:

Don’t worry… Trump has NO CLUE what economic generation he’s in. Still living in the late “manufacturing” 50’s. This “fix” will be more of a “REALITY CHECK” for him and then it will drop off the news once he realizes we don’t have a VISA issue, we have a MORON issue, caused by a failed government education system hell bent on confusing math rather than just teaching math, thus we don’t have the skills needed OR enough people to fill the demand for a “highly skilled” technology driven economy. VISA’s will continue, Trump will make up something phony like; “head of the line for American’s” which will just speed up the hiring filter.

EX:
Empl; Hello, what’s your skill level in “X – languages”?
Merican; I have 2 years in JavaScripting, some PHP, HTML &
Empl; We need a C# programmer with 3 to 5 years experience

Merican gets out of line so the company can review ONLINE examples of Indian programmers who can write in Machine code, C, C#, Java, Json, et al and here is my list of examples…

April 20, 2017 at 8:27 am, mtskier said:

Seriously? This guy and his family are taking advantage of laws to bring in workers for their properties (even just a couple of months ago to their winery and to mara logo) yet don’t want anyone else to. They want to keep manufacturing in other countries (Ivanka just moved manufacturing from one third world to another in the last few months – rather than bring back to US) yet don’t want anyone else to. They want to reduce taxes for us, but it’s a cover so that they can reduce their taxes which will be in the millions for their tax bracket, and as trump said he pays very little in taxes as it is – taking advantage of all the loopholes. Being in the staffing business, we need overseas workers as America is not producing the technology students that other countries are. Our businesses will come to a halt without these workers.

April 20, 2017 at 9:14 am, Jackson said:

Several companies have enhanced the original logic with custom code. The reform raises minimum salaries for these positions to make this tougher.

IF
title == ‘US Jobs’ OR
primary_employer == ‘US Company’
THEN
*IF PRICE DIFFERENCE ISN’T MORE THAN A FEW K
RETURN ‘US Citizen’
*ELSE
*RETURN ‘H1B Visa’
*ENDIF
ELSE
RETURN ‘H1B Visa’
END

April 20, 2017 at 9:22 am, merle said:

Good start, but if there truly are not enough people entering these fields as claimed, then another point of attack is to change our culture which sends the message that tech is for nerds and losers and the only true path to a respectable career is to become some dumbass athlete, miserable whining artist, actor, musician or otherwise liberal educated [expletive]-for-brains celebrity.

April 20, 2017 at 9:56 am, weAreAllHumans said:

I am very sad about what is happening in US right now. Even though I am an immigrant, I can see the dilemma in taking a side in this war against work visas. I am not a politics or economics expert, but I try understand arguments in both sides. What I don’t get, is pro-ending-h1-visas people attacking immigrants by calling us “3rd world scum” and such. Most of us are only people fighting to get a better life for us and our children. A life that our countries cannot provide. And by doing so, contribute to this beautiful country. Assuming their arguments are correct, the ones to blame are the companies who twist the law for their own benefit. So, why all the hate toward another hard working human being?

April 20, 2017 at 10:17 am, Robi said:

Those visas should be fairly easy to reform:
a company that hires those visa holders should inject the equal salary amount into the Social Security pool.
in other words: they hire a foreign worker, they pay two salaries: one for the employee and one salary fully into the Social Security pool to keep it from getting drained early.
If the company hires U.S. workers, they save a salary.

April 20, 2017 at 10:23 am, Karen Mermel said:

I’ve lost my job for which I was highly qualified to H1B workers. They all send money to their home countries and spend very little here.

They waste time on contracts by training others who came with them. This is to bring more money to their country and made them as proficient and then work together in a cubicle to help him do his work.

I took a C## class a long time ago and am proficient in most of the requested languages but had a lot of trouble getting experience because of the H1B.

It’s all a question of money for the big cimoanies.

So, here I am at 75 on very little Social Security and useless because of the H1B. I’m amazed that Trump is looking into this but will be more amazed if anything is done.

April 20, 2017 at 10:25 am, Clint said:

Companies should have to prove they did not fire someone else for each H-1B filled. It is shameful the way Intel and other tech companies do this repeatedly. They should have programs to train their employees for new skills rather than dumping them and hiring another cheaper H-1B. How about creating a wall of shame, listing the top employers using the H-1B system.

April 20, 2017 at 10:32 am, Human said:

Agree with weAreAllHumans. With exception of Native Americans, we are all here because someone in our family was searching for a better life. Blame the big companies. There is no need for the hate language here.

April 20, 2017 at 10:34 am, Jed said:

H1B Visa are not the problem. The real problem is off-shore developers. H1B visas that come here, are highly trained, skilled labor that will Make America Great (as Trump likes to say). To make American labor more competitive in tech, we need to educate our college students in computer science (we don’t do that enough), and set a higher minimum salary requirement for H1B visa employees (I think $60K right now). In the US it’s not easy get a computer engineering degree these days. I got mine 30 years ago.

April 20, 2017 at 10:35 am, Anon said:

If you are 75 and actually expect to get a job in tech industry you are delusional, this is in no way h1b fault. You could be the most qualified candidate and ask for lowest pay and you would still not land a job in tech at that age.

April 20, 2017 at 10:55 am, TruthSeeker said:

I think most people — including Trump — is ignoring the bigger issue: Offshoring. H1-B was an issue in the 2000-2010 but since last 6+ years, offshoring has become the norm. This is even worse, because most well-paying IT jobs are being off-shored with no benefits to the US economy. At the very least a H1-B visa holder will pay US taxes, buy or rent a house, and be part of the economy. What does offshoring do, just fill the pockets of corporate bigwigs?

April 20, 2017 at 10:55 am, ClayLeBeouf said:

The issue with H1B is that it is being abused. The intent was to bring in skilled labor sources when none could be found within the American labor pool. The individual that was brought from another country was to be paid the going rate for the skills they possessed. What is actually happening is that foreign workers are being brought in at much lower rates to replace their American counterparts. There has been an entire cottage industry created to get H1B applicants into this country. If the rules of the original H1B program had been or is enforced, then there would be little need for reform. Big companies like Apple and such really do not give a rats ass about American workers, as long as they can see a greater profit margin by bringing in foreign workers.

April 20, 2017 at 11:14 am, Don said:

I have worked with good H1B contractors and terrible H1B contractors. There is some truth in all of these comments. I am now out of work because my particular area in IT/Finance development and consulting has been flooded with H1B contractors and off-shoring. I used to earn $125 to $150 per hour, now I am being asked to work nationally for $50 to $60 with no t&e. The H1B program is contributing to this problem and I am happy that it is at least being scrutinized.

April 20, 2017 at 11:16 am, Stephen said:

Also not mentioned is H1-B is not fair to the incoming worker. Reputable companies pay US wages and take the administrative hit of working to get the employee a green card. Disreputable companies (Indian oursourcing companies being the best example) underpay (undercutting US salaries) and draw out the process. The foreign worker really has no options, they need the company that sponsors them in most cases. It is like indentured servitude. All these big tech companies whine about lack of skilled workers while foreign companies are the ones that are abusing H1-B and gaming the system. I have hired US and foreign at Verizon and Motorola (my first job was Bell Labs but I was not management). H1-B is a corrupt system. Reform it, give preference to graduates of US universities, make it portable for the employee, limit the numbers a company can have (maybe based on revenue). Base the numbers on the unemployment rate of US talent (more if the rate is 1% less if 5%).

April 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm, JohnM said:

In reference to the IF/THEN statement for hiring H1Bs, not only do companies compare the salaries of applicants, they compare the salary of current employees to H1Bs. With a bigger supply of new potential employees, they are more likely to layoff experienced workers.

April 20, 2017 at 12:03 pm, Garry L Hurley Jr said:

“hat is the whole idea behind H1B so how do you reform H1B when Americans are not interested in Science and Math, and lack tech skills? Then there is no fraud.” Really? I have a BS in Information Technology because I could not afford to get to a school that offered a degree in Computer Science. My professors in college kept asking me “Why are you here at this school?” because they believed I belonged at an Ivy League university instead of a ‘Special Mission Campus of Penn State University.” Maybe I did, but the fact is that my broken down car, my lack of money for tuition, and the fact that I was totally on my own for college made my attendance there mandatory if I wanted a degree. In High School, my courses were all Honors courses in math and science, as well as art classes to allow my left-brain some time to relax. I served in the Air Force. I worked in factories. I now have a Master’s degree in Information Systems Management because, again, I did not have what I needed to get the degree in computer science. But I did minor in mathematics as an undergraduate, so yes, intelligence is not something I lack (throwing all false modesty aside). But I must be an anomaly, just like the other thirty people in my class, thirty people the semester before, thirty people the semester after, etc. who all got degrees in technology, and the numerous engineering and science graduates from other universities across the country. Would you like to know the reason why Americans have not gone into technology? Simple. High School Guidance counselors, parents, and dozens of other people keep telling them that they won’t find work because of the H-1B program bringing in cheap foreign labor. Yes, this stupid program both created the problem and exacerbated it. And people like you who deny that there are Americans who are interested in the high-tech fields are just as idiotic as those who created the law in the first place. It has nothing to do with Americans not wanting to enter the field and everything to do with the companies that demand the services not wanting to pay a decent salary to Americans who have gone into debt to earn their degrees and instead providing those jobs to people whose educations were subsidized by either their government or ours. What is the difference who fills the position? Well, Americans are basically consumers. Not so with people from foreign countries. We buy everything, throw things away at an alarming rate and so on. People in other countries do not buy new cars every year or new clothing every month, but we do. We spend our money as fast as we make it. Foreigners not so much, and when they decide to go home, they take a huge bankroll of US money with them to spend at home. Whereas Americans can spend $1000 in a weekend, they live for a year on that same $1000.

April 20, 2017 at 1:37 pm, Dave said:

This is a very good move in the right direction. The use of slave-like foreign cheap labor from the east has: lowered wages and standard of living for American workers, lowered quality of technology products, and stifled interest in the pursuit of STEM university programs by American youth… all of this for the unending sickening greed and easy-fix corporate bottom line show for wall street by golden parachute executives of supposedly American corporations. This program was started for very small numbers of experts with irreplaceable domain knowledge; it has been abused to bring in low cost, low quality workers to replace better American workers (again, just for temporary bottom line show). It has to stop now.

April 20, 2017 at 1:47 pm, LoC said:

This is such a very interesting debate for me. Back in the 90’s when H1B hiring began, and subsequently became popular, I could see this entire scenario coming. What I was thinking back then is playing out. It was put into motion nearly 20 years ago and no immigration reform can stop it now. There is no way to turn back time. Hiring H1B was absolutely not started because of a talent deficit. It was done PURELY to reduce operating costs and increase competitiveness. (price point) H1B was a short-term ‘remedy’ to climbing U.S. worker salaries. Pure and simple.

When H1B hiring gained a foothold, companies flocked to this new talent paradigm. Around that same time articles began to appear about how the U.S. education system was not producing enough — or the right — talent to take companies into the future. I did not, and still do not, believe this. We have been trained by Corporate America to believe this, so we do. (years and years of articles)

Consider this current scenario. (I can say this with absolute certainty because I have many friends here on H1Bs who have told me this directly.): Individuals come to the U.S. on an H1B. They have children. Their children are now U.S. citizens. So even if they are forced to return to their home country, they know they will be able to come back to the U.S. some day (probably when their child turns 18) because their children are citizens, with full rights of citizenship, even if the child has lived in the U.S. for only a few months.

Immigration laws irrelevant and circumvented in their entirety.

I can’t predict what this means for the future of the U.S. In another 10-20 years we will know because we will be experiencing it.

I am not asserting right or wrong on either side of the debate. Only providing what I believe to be facts from my own perspective.

The only “sided” argument that I will make — that I feel very strongly about — is that H1B-hired talent is not based on exclusive skills. There is no convincing me that a project manager hired on H1B has any more skill or talent than a project manager who is a U.S. citizen. Companies knew there would be a demand for project managers moving forward so why were they not training those in the workforce in positions the companies also knew would be eliminated? Training costs and expected salaries of the existing workforce. It’s still a financials thing and probably always will be.

April 20, 2017 at 3:53 pm, MonroeNJ said:

It is good at last we have a political leader who had the guts to this rotten system. I work for a Wall St bank in Technology. It is an Indian Sweathouse. Every week in some team or other a fresh batch of so called cheap workers in some visa comes in and in some weeks/months a US citizen employee is gone.
Some work site visits have to be made by USCIS or ICE or whomever. The offshore consulting firms Cognizant, Accenture, Infosys have deep roots in the Tech divisions. Worse some have even planted their people in some positions so those people even on the payroll of the bank (some are still on H1b) still openly support offshore folks. In my case my manager eyes my job to be eliminated so he can have 2 more people from cognizant for my money. In another floor, these offshore guys spend the whole day playing caroms and ping pong on h1bs enjoying their life. The US citizen former employees lose their livelihood and find difficulty getting another job. The whole concept of EEO is an eyewash with these offshore firms.
What is the government to do on this – take care of their constituency or gift the foreign works in a platter? Whatever this executive order does is only for future people coming or sneaking it. What are they to do will the hundreds of thousands already in?

In my firm these h1bs already started talking of how their cognizant and Infosys employers can put a higher salary on paper to meet the requirement and still actually pay the low current wage so they can show these jobs are specialized high paid jobs. And playing ping pong is their specialized job. They are also talking about not stepping out of the country to prevent being denied entry. These Indians have already started planning to circumvent this. Another route is as mentioned by LoC. They breed in US mass producing kids with this vested interest behind so even if sent back they have a way to get in later. Never trust an Indian. If you are in Mgmt you know how these guys smile at you and try to show off as nice when their contracts are near renewal and once renewed will not even care about you and tease you as besharam Americans (shameless Americans).

April 20, 2017 at 5:39 pm, Ulysses Blakeley said:

ClayLeBeouf posts the only comment so far that recognizes the actual problem with the H1B program. When the program began, the H1B visa holders were all appropriately skilled (i.e. doctorate level) for inclusion in the program. I worked with many and all were clearly well above the typical employee in technical expertise. Over the years, the program has been exploited by EMPLOYERS by their clearly nonsensical assertion that “qualified citizens” could not be found. By the time I was laid off in 2003 the typical H1B visa holder was a bottom level help desk worker whose only qualification was that they would work for $14/hr. Those posting here, who rail on about “immigrants” or overseas workers, or “never trust an Indian…” (dude! seriously? racist much do ya?) simply have no understanding of how this process works. This is purely an example of white people screwing over white people, and the victims blame anyone but the people who screwed them over. EVERY visa holder that displaces an American does so because some other AMERICAN decided it was more profitable to do so. The U.S. company has to PLACE a job in this category, by declaring that they are unable to find a qualified citizen to work that position. The cottage industries that came about to create this work pool is entirely the creation of the tech industry giants. The immigrants are entirely outside of this process.

April 21, 2017 at 2:34 am, David said:

So somehow these foreigners were able to pay for a highly skilled education in their country with the plan on getting a temp H1B visa in the US. This of course brings up the most glaring and in corporate face point ever. If these so called best and brightest foreigners are stealing jobs from unqualified Americans, then why is it that these so called “best and brightest” are not getting paid MORE than an unqualified American? It is obviously a SCAM for companies to go cheap with barely qualified foreigners to get by with forced overtime free labor.

April 21, 2017 at 11:12 am, Laura Keating said:

The solution is simple: Give the H1B visas to the workers. You have to be really motivated, and paying someone full market price to go to all the trouble of getting someone an H1B visa if you have no hold over them.

This helps companies who really can’t find US workers–there is a shortage in some niches. But it eliminates “H1B slaves” who undercut wages and discourage training programs.

(On the flip side–create training programs with a loan that is forgiven if you stick with the company for, say, 3 years post-grad.)

My son started learning programming in 6th grade, in math class. Most kids said “meh”, he and a few others ran with it. They will be our future programmers. We need more of that!

April 21, 2017 at 1:17 pm, Arul said:

It is all about cost to value. Cost to make anything in America is high, whether a software or iphone or car parts or beer or cigar or a drug(Medicine) or a home accessory. Globalization helped to reduce the cost by procuring at cheaper places, this H1B program is also similar to that. You want to make a software with lesser cost and sell at higher price for your enterprise profits and make investors and mutual funds happy. Now,You are going to see, the prices of the software and IT related services are going to go high, because you have to pay more for american workers. The fact, no foreign country has invented Globalization or H1B program. When you want more profits, you naturally want cheaper workers. Bottom-line is this, Rich American enterprises and entrepreneurs .. are they willing to share the wealth accumulated over the years to their own people? I doubt, because capitalism is not about sharing, it is all about profits.

April 22, 2017 at 6:03 pm, emilov said:

I thought the IT job market was in great shape and unemployment is extremely low…
So why so much arguing 🙂 and calling people bad names ?

April 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm, Dan Lark said:

Most everyone agrees that pay scale and talent are different things. In this case the public propaganda that all outsourcing staff are degree holding Engineers so no domestic staff is qualified to even compete for the opportunity given to the technical office temp work visa holder, who ‘temps’ for 10 years or more is disputed, irregardless of what their pay is. The ones who don’t have the higher education background but are grouped with the others who do are the ones lowering the perceptions NOT the people who interact with them on daily basis.

April 24, 2017 at 2:37 pm, Chris Marsh said:

What if I arrived in one of many countries and went ahead of people who lived their whole lives there?

Foreign countries are smart enough to put the lifetime citizens first, although language differences help.

It is the United States whose public policy is stupid. Train people for twelve sixteen or twenty years and then underemploy or unemploy them? Why even bother with education? If we subsidized education like many other industrialized countries do, we’d get it. That is why East Germany had a wall. I saw a British documentary. Education and welfare and health aren’t cheap. You don’t invest in these so your people can run away or be idle.

We want our unemployment to go down especially among marginalized groups. Yes they do exist.

Are you suggesting our senior citizens and people with disabilities should not only be second class citizens in their own country, but be even third class behind both citizens and immigrants?

I bet they want to create a country Aspergia to exile me to.

April 24, 2017 at 3:17 pm, Chris Marsh said:

Nobody asks to be born.

Frequently it is for the parents. My certified genius mom wanted to breed Einsteins and she chose my dad, certainly intelligent and well educated, but self absorbed, reclusive, and possibly Asperger. Success is elusive because having it once in life does not settle the matter, nor are they necessarily happy. Certainly not my late brother, a brilliant Web developer and computer programmer, a self taught prodigy in young life.

I would suggest that the United States, who invented intellectualism and eugenics, is even worse than Nazi Germany. Your body can only die once. Your spirit can die every day.

If a child has or develops (Asperger in age two) special needs, you will eventually have an adult who may not fit. Maybe a brilliant one.

April 24, 2017 at 8:44 pm, Chris Marsh said:

1. Asperger results in unemployment or underemployment rates of 85%. Average people would revolt under those conditions. Being 1/70 of the population makes that less likely.
2. There is a genetic factor of 40% or more.
3. Although symptoms may differ among each gender, especially introversion, it seems boys are affected five times as much as girls.

April 24, 2017 at 8:50 pm, Chris Marsh said:

Emilov

When the State of Maryland offered me computer programming training in 1999, knowing seven of us had conditions like Asperger, it counted on employers having no alternatives under the labor market conditions of the time.

It was fun for many years…

April 25, 2017 at 6:10 am, Chris Marsh said:

David, I don’t know why Americans bother to reproduce and invest in education.

I wouldn’t make an Aspie baby, knowing how happy my dad, brother and I were.

Let the nice folks in India, China et cetera make all our babies for us. Who cares where their tech skills come from? Let them bear the cost.

Don’t ask me to have a baby for the next generation of sadists to go off on.

April 25, 2017 at 6:16 am, Chris Marsh said:

Perhaps the logical reason Americans still breed is that it is hard to recruit some other country’s kids for the U.S. Armed Forces. See what happened when the Romans tried it? Attila the Hun sacked Rome.

April 25, 2017 at 4:03 pm, Chris Marsh said:

As far as open niches go, go with the Aspies. That is what Maryland was doing…. and it worked… for a while.

So sad we need to consider some intelligent motivated people under conditions of scarcity.

November 25, 2017 at 10:45 pm, Joe Balunda said:

What a load of B.S. From the Trump Administration…..that was 6 months ago…..and what’s the truth ? US Corporations paid him off !!
There is no reform in sight….never will be….pathetic.
Become a doctor, a nurse, a CPA, a Lawyer….all getting highly paid for less complex work.