Surviving a ‘Performance Improvement Plan’

shutterstock_226385674

Performance improvement plans (PIP) are old tools of HR. Employees view them with a jaundiced eye: get one and get ready to get out. But you may be surprised to learn that their primary purpose is right there in the name—to improve your performance, not end your employment.

If your manager is working with HR to write a comprehensive plan that’s crafted to help you do a better job, there’s an excellent chance that their end game is to manage you back onto the team. Despite how low a PIP may make you feel, you can take steps to make the process less painful and remain employed (if the latter is what you want).

“Historically PIPs have gotten a bad rap,” said Dianna Wilusz, founder and CEO of organizational consultancy The Pendolino Group in Silicon Valley. While employees believe PIPs are solely for documenting what will ultimately become a termination, she noted, they’re more often used to reconcile a mismatch of expectations and/or perception. The “managing back in” mindset is particularly critical in technology fields where recruiting and retaining skilled employees is costly.

If you’ve had ongoing problems at work that have resulted in conversations with management, it’s possible a PIP is on the horizon. When one arrives, it’s often a real blow.

“Sometimes they really don’t see it coming and there’s poor communication between the manager and employee,” Wilusz said. “Or they know that some things needed to be worked on and thought they were making progress and then there’s a PIP that signals that sufficient progress wasn’t being made.” Whatever the cause, Wilusz stresses the importance of recipients understanding that their manager is still invested in their success.

“My first advice would be to assess the situation,” said Trish O’Brien, director of human resources at Caliper, a talent-management company in Princeton, New Jersey. She advises PIP recipients to consider everything that’s happened on the job and to read between the lines during the initial PIP meeting. While she’s frank with employees during these meetings, letting them know if she’s documenting toward either a termination or a turnaround, she acknowledges that some employers aren’t so transparent. “Asking good questions is important,” she said. “You have to know if it’s at all workable.”

Focus on what your manager is saying. If there’s a long list of behavioral complaints and you’ve been told you’re not doing the job, maybe you’re not cut out for the role. But if your manager offers up a list of communication improvements and performance recommendations, there’s a good chance they want to work things out.

Wilusz coaches her managers to anticipate shock or denial—which are normal reactions in a stressful situation—and believes that the employee should be given the opportunity to voice their thoughts about their performance: “It’s kind of like the stages of grief.” If you want to rebut aspects of the PIP, you can do so—just keep in mind that whatever you say or do must be carefully finessed. Your position on the “grief” curve is usually a good indicator of the effectiveness of prior communication between you and your manager.

If you want to stay in your current role, carefully consider how you set the stage. O’Brien suggests that, if you strongly disagree with the evaluation, you can explain (both in person and in writing) where you feel the PIP has diverged from what you perceive as reality. Remain composed while doing so; stick to the facts as you see them and avoid loaded language. You don’t want to be perceived as refusing the opportunity to improve the situation.

Ultimately, both sides must come to a point of conciliation. You have to accept management’s stipulations and be ready to make a change.

While you don’t have to greet a PIP with joyful enthusiasm, responsive employees have a much better chance of having one work out for them. Validate your employer’s concerns by acknowledging and agreeing that there are issues that need work, and be open to receiving and discussing constructive criticism. It will go a long way toward allowing you all to move forward.

Wilusz advocates approaching any performance review as if you’re all in it together. “Recognize it as a chance to get good feedback and improve your skills and abilities, as well as deepen communication between you and your manager,” she said. “If you can be open to seeing it as a way to grow and develop, it will end in a much more positive place.”

Image Credit: Stock-Asso/Shutterstock.com

Comments

41 Responses to “Surviving a ‘Performance Improvement Plan’”

August 24, 2016 at 9:09 pm, Software Dev said:

If you ever get a PIP, do these things right away:
1. Get your resume updated within a week.
2. Get at least two references from co-workers. (Don’t expect one from any of the managers.)
3. Gradually remove any personal items from work, especially things that are usually put away in a drawer, such as personal books, papers, etc.

August 25, 2016 at 6:46 am, Tomas Peter said:

Well youd be suprised – all the Big 4 , Big Blue and Big Red CA have almost all their employees on plans – it meas they can fire them easily

August 25, 2016 at 6:47 am, Em said:

I think it would be interesting to see the statistics of PIPs and whether these individuals were employed still at 24 or 36 months.

August 25, 2016 at 7:11 am, Richard Janus said:

Don’t EVER be fooled: a “performance improvement plan” is NOT really designed to improve your performance – it’s a tool used to give the company some documentation for your termination in the event of a wrongful termination lawsuit or one resulting from a complaint to the EEOC. And it’s used only by weak and/or bully managers to cover their own a$$ to get rid of employees who they dislike or who are perceived as a threat to them.

August 25, 2016 at 7:16 am, Lynn w said:

This is an interesting article and informative. The real deal is that many companies allow a manager to use this process to get rid of employees he or she dislikes.
I had weekly reviews with my manager and received favorable reports but at time of annual review I was placed on PIP. I had to create my own plan and after I completed everything which had been approved, I was placed on another one.
Another manager requested me to work on a different team and the manager opposed. The bottom line, it was a racial issue which the company ended paying dearly.

August 25, 2016 at 7:38 am, Julio said:

Richard,

You are right. It seems to me the above article does not take in consideration that we live in a cruel real world.

Respectfully,

Julio

August 25, 2016 at 7:43 am, Chavez Smyrh said:

I have to agree with Richard. It’s a tool companies use for CYA. When you are informed by your boss of a PIP and threatened to loose you job it is not a way to get an employee back on track. Its to start stacking the deck against someone.

August 25, 2016 at 7:44 am, Lstephen said:

I’ve never known a PIP to end with an employee keeping their job. I thoroughly agree with Richard Janus, it is documentation designed to cover the employer. Once a PIP is presented it is because the employee wasn’t a good fit and to force the employee into resigning. Do not think for a moment you can keep your job, inevitably they will be terminated.

August 25, 2016 at 7:52 am, Cezar P. said:

1) – Richard Janus is so right!
2) – Performance improvement plans (PIP) and other similar despicable ingenious tools are just another BS to squeeze more & more from the working slaves, they do not give a cent on any of the working slaves just hypocrites “managers” looking for but-lickers week sheep and to cover their chairs …, that’s all, but they do their employees’ life miserable so.
3) – Those kind of articles are paid to brain wash the sheep-loosers, and written by Beaver & Butt-Head!

August 25, 2016 at 8:09 am, William S Ruggles said:

When it comes to managing and engaging my staff, I believe in “progressive remediation” before “progressive discipline”. As such, the use of a “Performance Improvement Plan” (or something like it) would be my way of trying to salvage one of my “under-performers” after making it known to them that their performance (results) has/have been consistently below my expectations for them.

The alternative to creating a “PIP” for this person? Issuing a verbal warning and summarize it in writing…the 1st step in the Progressive Discipline process.

Which one would you prefer I do with YOU in such a case?

August 25, 2016 at 9:05 am, GiftCards said:

If a manager wants to get rid of someone they dislike but have no grounds for dismissal based upon their performance, they can exercise the following actions 1) make that employee’s life miserable by overloading them with work (hoping the employee will quit on their own) 2) criticize them on all that extra work and say they aren’t performing up to their expectations 3) invoke the PIP to cover themselves/company so they can eventually fire the employee with cause and avoid a potential lawsuit. If your boss insists on a PIP, then it’s time to look for another job ASAP.

August 25, 2016 at 9:09 am, bill mackey said:

I gof a PIP at age 61… they tried to give it go me just two weeks after they gave me a 130 % of performance rating amd i got my biggest bonus ever. I went out on stress leave and hired a lawyer. I’m suing.

August 25, 2016 at 10:28 am, Michael said:

I concur with most of the reviews here. I suppose there is a “rare” circumstance when a “PIP” is benevolent, but I haven’t seen one yet in my career. Depending on the sort of battles you’d been fighting just to do your job in a sensible and reasonable manner, it might be best to resign with your integrity intact while you still can. Preferably with something lined up, but in any event, do what you have to do to survive your career, never mind your job.

August 25, 2016 at 10:30 am, PIP Guy said:

I agree with the comments 100% and not much with the article

August 25, 2016 at 11:05 am, Frankie K said:

I saw the title of this article through an e-mail I received and though that it would be a good read since I had a run-in with a Performance improvement plans (PIP) a while back. I wanted to see what the authors view was and how she suggested that we approach the PIP process. As I read more and more of this article, it slowing became the same contrived corporate babble that was nothing short of propaganda that provide a false sense of security to people who do not know any better. I mean, the entire article is filled with “Dog Whistle” politics. What do I mean by this? Well, to the trained ear; a person knows exactly what the intent of a phrases is despite the words someone’s uses.

Essentially, a PIP is a tool that is used by most corporations to be able to easily remove someone by getting the employee to admit guilt both verbally and or in a written format. The second part of this is the PIP reduces the corporation’s liability of a wrongful termination lawsuit. With that stated, understand that the PIP is all about getting rid of someone while protecting the company for a lawsuit At some corporations, the PIP is really about helping the employee.

The idea behind this is that the employer sets the stage, generally in their favor, through a written document, i.e. the PIP. And within that document, the employee has to establish a plan on how they will turn around their performance. Therefore, when the employee states that this is how I, “the employee”, plan to change what you, “the employer” has said about my performance and behavior; the employee has not only acknowledged the problem but admitted to anything that the document has stated. The PIP is a trap is sprung by any response that the employee gives other than a resignation, which should strongly and legally refute the PIP.

However, from my experience; corporations use the PIP as a strategic defense, especially when there are documented and provable accounts of discrimination or wrong doing on the behalf of the corporation. By getting the employee to admit that that have a performance, is a way to turn the tables. This is why we all need to know our state and federal laws.

My advice to anyone reading this article is to seek legal counsel.

August 25, 2016 at 11:06 am, Anonymous said:

I agree with all the comments. Pack your bags and leave as quickly as possible. The stress is not worth it. I know first hand. In a smaller company, the PIP rumors will start. Anyone that has an “issue” with you will use it to get to you.

August 25, 2016 at 11:24 am, Bill said:

I called a lawyer immediately when I was informed I was to be put on a pip at 61 years old…I went out on stress. Now in the process of commencing a lawsuit.

August 25, 2016 at 11:25 am, Anon said:

I agree with the comments. PIP=You no longer will be employed there very shortly. A PIP is given at the same time as a warning letter. Your manager will find fault with everything that you do, and rehash old ‘issues.’ Since you can’t change the past, these things will just keep on being repeated on your documentation. A lot of things are subjective, and you will not be able to defend yourself. HR was never present at any of my meetings, and didn’t give a crap when I called them. They are only there to cover for the manager.

You will be under tremendous stress, and the quality of your work will become lower even if you try to work harder. You are set up to fail, especially if it’s paired with a forced distribution Jack Welsh style ranking system. I was seeing a psychologist during my PIP, and my boss knew about this. Unfortunately, the psychologist didn’t really give me any helpful advice, like helping me to get out of the rut enough to move on and look for different jobs externally. That is the most productive path if you are in this situation. I looked internally, but my reputation had already been damaged by then…their first phone call was to my old boss, of course. Other managers stick up for one another, and one who wanted to recruit me a year before now viewed me as a problem employee based on my manager’s comments. (This all happened after my manager had fired someone else. She was new, and wanting to make a name for herself by clearing ‘dead wood.’)

August 25, 2016 at 12:51 pm, Jack King said:

The author presents this as an opportunity to the employee to grow and be happy forever. Not quite. PIP = ZIP, as in no raise and no bonus. Someone suggested that it applies to people who aren’t the right fit. I’ll help with that. Any tech worker over the age 50 is obviously the wrong fit. This pip BS is just a slick way for management, and the HR lackeys in their thrall, to exercise age discrimination. It happened to me after 25 years with the company.

August 25, 2016 at 1:21 pm, BigApple said:

I agree with everyone’s response. The PIP is management’s way of telling the employee to get ANOTHER job as quickly as possible. An HR manager told me once, “it’s not a good sign to get a PIP and I have never seen anyone able to keep their job after receiving one”.

August 25, 2016 at 1:31 pm, j.doe manager said:

As a manager I have put team members on PIPs before — it’s typically company policy and managers must know and follow policy; literally that’s a good part of the manager’s job.

Prior to a PIP, usually the person has received several warnings — three verbal, three written, as well as email summaries of touch base meetings. All of these things should be a red flag to the individual that a PIP is on the way.

Can you recover from a PIP? Yes you can, but I have rarely seen it. I did have to let someone go after they recovered from a PIP and it was sad; the person did something every unethical to a coworker, essentially blaming them for a mistake they made.

Possibly the reason folks get into PIPs in the first place is about judgement issues; which can be technical and cultural (i.e. what does your company generally think the right thing to do in a situation is.)

August 25, 2016 at 2:22 pm, Jack King said:

J Doe Manager: did your company policy include a quota, of say 8%, to dole out PIPs? Mine did.

August 25, 2016 at 2:27 pm, Richard Janus said:

For those “managers” here who defend the PIP as “following corporate policy:” you are just proving the point that weak managers will resort to this tactic to cover their own a$$ – because it’s sure a lot easier than doing the hard work you should do to ensure everyone (and thus the organization) truly succeeds.

A truly successful manager is a coach, not a boss. Real mangers have frequent communication with their staff, not just during scheduled meetings, not just while they’re hiding behind emails, not just at annual review times and not just when they pearl-harbor an employee with a PIP.

If an employee really is a terrible employee, you should already have ample evidence in the form of the work they did/didn’t do so there should be no problem going straight to progressive discipline after attempting remediation verbally. And if you’re uncomfortable doing that, then you don’t really have enough such evidence. The PIP is nothing more than the cowardly manager’s tool to generate additional “documentation” and (as other have pointed out here) entrap the employee into agreeing with it.

August 25, 2016 at 6:01 pm, JTP said:

In over 30 years never have I seen or heard about a PIP that ended in job retention. I was once invited to a meeting and presented with a clumsily contrived PIP while holding an individual contributor role. One of the points needing improvement stated in part “… acts too much like an individual contributor.” That’s hard to improve when your role is explicitly one of individual contributor. Once I figured what game was actually afoot, I opted out of the PIP and negotiated a mutual separation with a decent separation package. Others in my peer group did not fare so well. Six months later, the company was gone. Many good people were culled using PIPs.

August 25, 2016 at 10:37 pm, Seriously??? said:

Anyone who has worked in the corporate world for at least 10 years knows that the PIP is a tool used by manager’s allowing them to bounce people they do not like out of the company (usually for personal and NOT professional reasons). No one in mgmt is going to take the extra time to work on a PIP to bring an employee “up to snuff”. Anyone who thinks the PIP is done for the employee’s benefit is very naive.

August 26, 2016 at 5:55 am, JLS said:

A PIP can come across as really harsh. I’ve only ever been in a situation where I expected it once. Other times, it’s blindsided me, and, even after improving several points, the stigma that followed me was enough to make my work suffer again. The fact that I had even been on a PIP in the first place, nevermind the fact that I usually recover from it for a short time, left the entire work environment feeling uncomfortable and hostile to me. I felt like I was always being watched, that I had to constantly listen to what other people were saying in hushed conversation in case it was about me, and I just got very stressed out. The whole atmosphere at work had changed, and my work began to suffer a second time as a result. I didn’t even get a PIP at that point. They just let me go. So, even if you do recover after a PIP, your relationship with your manager and your coworkers will never be the same. It’s not worth it. Once you get one, sure… work to recover, but go looking for another job before things get out of hand because the whole environment will quickly become uncomfortable and stressful. I usually do recover from them, but it never really lasts, and they just end up letting me go anyway, and I’m usually either blindsided by the termination, or happy to get out.

August 27, 2016 at 1:34 am, Neo said:

Agreed, PIP is used as ammo and allows wanna be BIG BOSSES to use as bullies in discriminating for the boy’s and girls club, re: L3\CACI

August 29, 2016 at 2:43 pm, JSP said:

I had a narcissistic, socio-pathic manager who picked a different employee on his team every month to bully and those who didn’t quit, were put on a PIP. I have never been put on one until I disagreed one day with his bullying – then I was put on one. I tried to stay because it was a well-known hospital that I always dreamed of working at, but after my first “review”, I knew exactly what his end-game was and resigned. As I was leaving, I told the other PIP sufferer that if he could hold out (he had years invested, I only had months), this guy was going to be the target of a lawsuit (he violated religious and racial discrimination) and get ushered out the door. He got away with it for a long time and was finally fired (my co-sufferer called me). Bottom line – there may be 1 out of 100 managers who use the PIP to actually help improve performance, but the other 99 are using it to bully, discriminate, micro-manage, take revenge and torment good employees for whatever reason….. That, my friends, is the ONLY experience I have with a PIP and it sucked.

August 30, 2016 at 8:40 am, audiomind said:

Received a PIP earlier in the year, written by my manager through the spiteful lens of a senior analyst on my team 800 miles away.

Basically the senior analyst alone provided the dubious content and I was completely blindsided, unaware that there was any performance issue AT ALL! Turns out, it was a personal issue between this senior analyst and myself (not on my side), that could not be reconciled. This individual had spent months secretly documenting insignificant “issues” only to use the aggregate of them as a hammer in the PIP. Reported my concerns to HR and removed myself from the negative environment and now life is good.

Don’t be fooled. As Richard said, a PIP is simply a tool HR/Mgmt uses as documentation and legal aid to get rid of you ASAP.

August 30, 2016 at 11:59 am, Gee K said:

I read the first sentence in the article and skipped to the comments. Dice – delete the article and leave the comments for those who are in the dark on these matters to see.

Always keep your resume updated. Always be in touch with your recruiters. As soon as you get to know some co-workers you should get recommendations. Don’t be afraid to walk away from a job if you’re not feeling it. At the end of the day it is better to walk out on your own than to be escorted out.

Dice – ask people who know the facts before putting these articles out. You are making yourselves look like corporate tools.

August 30, 2016 at 1:35 pm, Elizabeth said:

I am a very seasoned HR professional and I have seen managers use these to truly help an individual. However, this has not always been the case and I wouldn’t say it is the norm. If there is a progressive disciplinary process at an organization, the first steps are generally verbal discussions. Sometimes several occur before the PIP. Managers hate conflict and my experience has shown me the manager is usually at the end of their rope and is merely following on the process to make a clean termination. However, unless you really want to leave the organization try to take the steps but remember your employer should step in and help you succeed. Document your requests for assistance and keep all documentation in the event you are terminated. Participate in the process, don’t throw in the towel.

December 02, 2016 at 7:37 pm, Richard said:

I saw this article and wanted to add the following insights:

1) Generally speaking a PIP (in it’s true meaning) should be Specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound same as any other corporate goal. If it isn’t, it may be pretext for something else.

2) Try to pay attention to who is on PIP. If you are (and you’re a protected class) and another person in your department is on PIP (i.e. coming in super early, staying super late are great signs) then you may be able to use this in a disparate impact claim.

3) If the outcome is not SMART (as mentioned in #1) then you may have claim to a wrongful term suit if you are in a protected class and a retaliation claim if the timing of the PIP is immediately after or seemingly before a protected activity (i.e. request for a reasonable accommodation, vesting in an ESOP, for example). EEOC handles disability, age, sex, and other discriminatory actions. The US Department of Labor handles ERISA discrimination claims (under which an ESOP is a qualified retirement plan)

4) If any of the above rings true, you owe it to you, your family and your future to contact a qualified labor and employment attorney in your area immediately. Don’t worry about signing a severance agreement (if you have a valid wrong term or EEOC claim an employment attorney can get you far more than a couple of weeks pay as is customary with most severance agreements). Also, if presented with a severance agreement, it’s far better to have an attorney review within your area BEFORE signing! Don’t worry about calling unemployment – that’s actually better dealt with AFTER obtaining a decent settlement.

Lastly, most reading this may think I’m an attorney. I’m not – but I am someone who went through a highly suspect termination by a very ill-repute employer in the DFW area earlier this year. Almost all of the above was obtained via independent research so I now know what to do next time (if there is a next time) and so too do you 🙂

November 06, 2017 at 11:19 am, PIP Survivor said:

As an HR Practitioner and a PIP Survivor, consensus is correct that a PIP is a tool used by managers to move employees (usually for personal reasons rather than performance) out of the business. I have spent over 25 years working in professional roles in corporate Fortune 100 companies and recently survived the worst experience in my years of working. I only survived the PIP for a few reasons (1) the company was going through restructuring and the department would be eliminated anyways (2) because I went along with the PIP without pushing back on the unsubstantiated claims of poor performance (i.e. I didn’t reply to an email that she sent earlier that day) – because I knew if I just hung in there and played along, the team would eventually be eliminated and I would be able to seek other roles within the company.

The problem was not my performance is was the “fit”. The manager (new manager with little management experience) hired me because I not only came highly recommended but I brought with me the strategic thinking, experience and leadership experience. That was until we had our first “professional opposing opinion”. She was the type of manager that “her word was the only word”. She did not embrace collaboration – her culture believed that “do what the boss says period”. All of that experience that she liked about me went out the door when she wanted to assert her authority and “keep me in my place”…

The PIP was to show me that she had the power and control over my career with the company. Rather than fight the PIP through the Employee Relations Department, I went along with it because I knew the little things that she tried to accuse me of not doing, I was doing….

The moral of my story is, PIPs are not intended for you to improve your work – they are to move you out of the business with little risk to the company. Its a documentation trail for the company to justify why they terminated you.

My recommendations to you:
1. Is it worth it to you? Where do you see yourself with the company long-term. Can you grow with the company. Is the culture of the company – PIP embracing… Only you can determine these things for yourself.
2. If you decide the manager is the problem and not the culture of the company, stay the course. Embrace the PIP, communicate with your manage in acceptance of their decisions, do not fight him/her – its only going to make things worst. In your mind, you know the real deal – just play along. Trust me – its part of the survivor.
3. Do everything and some on the PIP…. Complete each Plan of Action and if there is an opportunity to go above – do so…. This shows your intent to improve.
4. Document, document, document and when you finishing documenting, document some more.
5. Gauge how things are going with your managers tone. If he/she is still tripping and doesn’t seem to be acknowledging your improvements, chances are nothing that you do will matter and this manager is determined to see you out the door. If this is your situation, start looking outside the company.

Unfortunately there are poor leaders and managers that don’t seem to understand how to manage to their employees talents but rather their personalities.

Needless to say, my situation turned out beneficial to me. I survived the PIP (my 6 year old could have that’s how petty it was) and I decided not to seek a new position within the company but accept their severance pay (due to the restructuring) and find another job. Well, I am not only making more money but I am in the job title and role which I was working so hard to obtain at my previous place of employment.

So, if you find yourself on a PIP – don’t panic…. Follow my steps and if you have faith – lean on it…. God can work miracles.
Isaiah 57:17

Bless.

March 09, 2017 at 1:17 pm, Alan Wicker said:

I cannot believe people think these processes are there to help employees. That’s just bullshit.

If you get put on one of these, time to find a new job.

I’ve never, ever, known anything but dismissal come from these unless employees play the game right.

I’d suggest that anyone who gets one of these considers it a game of poker. Your firm wants you out cheaply and you have to accept this.

Express your concern and only agree anything under protest.

They’ll be looking to hammer you for anything – no matter how small. You have to keep your nose as clean as possible. And there probably will be provocation somewhere. You have to ignore this.

Wait for them to make a mistake or a few mistakes (not keeping to agreed meetings, poor quality examples, dishonest feedback or similar) then make a formal complaint.

I’d say 95% of the time, this’ll get you some cash and a reference.

In the other 5%, the PIP was genuine and you should’ve quit.

April 18, 2017 at 4:16 am, Jane Doe said:

Hi,

I am being put under a PIP on 25th April 2017 and I am freaking out. We had a situation at work where something was released to the public but with a defect and the whole team worked on it. We are 2 QA’s but I am the only one in the team being put on the PIP. It started out as me going out for a smoke too much during the day (it was about 5 times in an 8 hour period) and then the release happened with the bug. Now it is me in the firing line and it is stressing me out quite a bit.
This now means I’m looking for another job right? I need some advise if possible on how to handle this.
The PIP is going to be for 12 weeks.
Thanks

April 19, 2017 at 11:59 pm, qdemon said:

I have been with my employer for 30+ years and I am expecting a PIP in my immediate future. Everyone knows what that means. It’s the kiss of death. I have never seen a PIP used for anything but to justify getting rid of someone for petty, personal reasons, never for poor job performance. The drones and slackers are tolerated and even rewarded, if they know the right people.

Unfortunately for me, my recently appointed managers don’t like me and have decided to get rid of me. But rather than allowing me to transfer to another department or to retire with some dignity, they are determined to find a way to fire me, at any cost. With the help of HR, they have unleashed a campaign of harassment and frivolous criticisms, while stealing my ideas to claim as their own. Sadly, even my longstanding record of outstanding job performance can’t protect me from this institutional persecution.

What I find most frustrating (and enlightening) is that no one has the courage to stand up for me. People that I have served, faithfully and reliably, for several years have turned their backs. They all know what is happening and they despise these incompetent managers but they are too afraid to speak up. I hope they remember me when their turn comes. And it will. It’s only a matter of time. I’ve seen it before.

April 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm, Jack King said:

qdemon: ’30+ years’ is what this is all about. I got shoved out the door after 29 years. This pip stuff is the means whereby unethical companies get rid of older employees. It’s not personal, it’s just business, as the mafia Don might say.

May 04, 2017 at 11:27 pm, Ed said:

I have been placed on a PIP. Although a little stunned at first, I realize that my supervisor is a poor people person. Sucks for me and the company, but he too shall pass.

July 03, 2017 at 2:33 pm, Manager Doe said:

I have 1 person on a PIP and i can say that we didn’t initiate it to get rid of that person. Long before the PIP i engaged with the employee, formally and informally to improve the work habit. It was not taken very seriously but the PIP opened the employees eyes that a change was needed if she wanted to remain in the company. The employee and i worked together on this and with positive results in some areas. The PIP was recently extended because of this.I see a lot of negative opinions and i agree that not all companies use the PIP as they should, but using the PIP as it was meant to be, to improve the performance, it can be a great tool.

July 20, 2017 at 5:26 pm, Jennifer Jackson said:

I was put on a PIP in March 2017, with no end date or no counseling from my manager. In June my manager went on a leave of absence leaving me with no feedback. Now I have a new manager that extended my PIP for items that are false. I provided the facts to her, but she is disputing them. I brought these accusation to the attention of HR, but no response from them either. I have taken a medical leave of absence to figure this stuff out.

Can someone give me their thoughts on this issue?

November 30, 2017 at 5:10 pm, Megaman25 said:

I know of one person who was on a PIP and was not fired in the end. He still works for them and this happened 2 years ago.