Number of Tech Pros Quitting Their Jobs Rises

shutterstock_367746548

More tech professionals voluntarily quit their jobs in April, according to the latest JOLTS data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

Some 579,000 professionals left their jobs that month, up from 554,500 in March. In the first quarter of 2016, an average of 557,300 tech pros quit per month, a slight increase from the average of 555,700 who left their jobs during the fourth quarter of 2015.

Tech employment held steady at 2.0 percent in May, unchanged from April, according to the BLS. The unemployment rate for the broader economy, meanwhile, has fallen to 4.7 percent, the lowest since November 2007, although some analysts expressed concern over the number of jobs added.

Many of those pundits and analysts see the rate of voluntary quits as indicative of economic strength. In theory, professionals leave their current positions because they feel confident enough in the state of the economy to find a new, better employer.

Money isn’t the only motivator for jumping jobs. In the most recent Dice Salary Survey, some 65 percent of tech pros said they planned on changing employers this year in order to earn a higher salary, while 43 percent cited a desire for better working conditions. Roughly a third wanted more responsibility with their next employer, and 19 percent said they anticipated losing their current job in 2016.

Another 16 percent of employers planned on switching jobs for a shorter commute, while 14 percent were doing so because they’d been relocated. A final 10 percent cited “other.” (Because the 16,301 respondents to Dice’s survey could select more than one answer, the totals exceed 100 percent.)

Given the number of tech pros leaving their current positions for better opportunities, it’s no surprise that 65 percent of employers told Dice that they’d relied on motivators last year to keep their employees onboard. In addition to increased compensation, these motivators included flexible work schedules and locations, more interesting and challenging assignments, adjusted work hours, and promotions.

Image Credit: mavo/Shutterstock.com

Comments

11 Responses to “Number of Tech Pros Quitting Their Jobs Rises”

June 09, 2016 at 9:02 am, Matthew said:

There is a growing number of companies that have incredibly bad management and processes. I have many friends in the industry, as well as myself who have left terrible managers and terrible processes.

When you spend more time filling out paperwork than you spend rebooting a server, that makes people leave.

June 09, 2016 at 9:31 am, Marty said:

This is not meant to dilute or challenge the message but I would be very interested in the number of “pro’s” ( tech or not) that have left companies. It may be that the bad management and subpar conditions that Matthew refers to previously is cutting across the board. This may be a systemic and growing problem that bodes badly.

June 09, 2016 at 10:16 am, Troy Adams said:

Many of these companies tend to work IT professionals until they are burnout. I also seen non technical managers manage technical teams and dont understand certain IT process. With my last job I typically found myself making management decisions because because my non technical manager had unrealistic espectations for the solution we supported. This will increase chances of workers leaving your company.

June 09, 2016 at 11:39 am, Jabier espinal said:

I bet a huge number of those professionals have a college degree working below their means with managers who do not provide growth in the company. Many of them were most likly realizing there was no real opportunities and so they leave.

June 09, 2016 at 11:45 am, Edison said:

An alarming number of companies have leaders (Directors, VP’s, Presidents, CxO’so) that are not educated in actually how an organization should be run (mis-aligned or missing roles and responsibilities in the organizational chart). Or they just feel that process is applicable to everyone but them, leading to urgent, but not necessarily important fire disruptive behavior. I would say it’s more wide spread than just Devs. However, if there are other unqualified individuals, like project managers, release engineers, or systems analysts, the Dev can be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Conversely, I know a lot of sub-parts Devs that are lacking in communications skills and process to be a part of a well working team. A lot of those Devs, or the ones I’ve interacted with, usually think their skills set is better than what it is and leave the company.

June 09, 2016 at 1:53 pm, Jon said:

The truth is that companies are more and more wanting to hire us as contractors and pay more money since they don’t have the benefit and tax cost… Of course, this leaves us scrambling to fine new projects. I have had non tech managers in the past and agree they are a MAJOR problem in the industry!

June 09, 2016 at 1:54 pm, Paul said:

Would be interesting to know how many TECH professionals like myself who quit their employer due to incentive to quit. Yes, the top avionics supplier for Boeing recently paid people to leave if they were over sixty and met other company criteria. Reason being company is trimming manpower due to what company economist see as slowing trend in World economy.

June 09, 2016 at 4:02 pm, OneWord said:

One word: “Retirement”.

June 09, 2016 at 10:25 pm, John Weiss said:

This article needs a companion article called “Number of Tech Pros Leaving Tech.” Very different thing.

June 10, 2016 at 11:24 pm, ReVeLaTeD said:

to Matthew:

While such bureaucracy seems quite silly, my counterargument is this:

With the exception of routine patching after initial software deployment, rebooting production servers should not be a thing, really. Thus, it’s possible the paperwork is also seeing as a deterrent; encouraging you to take the time to research and actually fix the underlying problem.

June 11, 2016 at 12:11 pm, Sam Parson said:

I’ve been in the tech industry since I graduated college 6 years ago. I can give my experiences that support the management theory.

I’ve worked on a total of 4 jobs thus far. My first job was great. My manager made the place a fun and happy place to come into. We had never even heard of things such as crunch times. We were given 3 days to complete our tasks (when it took us only 1 day). We were given many side learning projects to work on during