123 Dunwoody Rd. Atlanta, GA 00000 ♦ email@example.com ♦ 000.555.1212 ♦ LinkedIn ♦ Instagram ♦ Facebook
Data Visualization Master
“Turning dull, unsystematic data into meaningful works of art”
A data interpreter, analyst and information manager with a proven history of turning large data sets into progressive ideas through the creation of clear, compelling infographics, maps, data visualizations, interactive media and product designs.
- Generated $8 million in ad revenue by harvesting nuggets of competitive information from data sets and creating dashboards and pictograms to spur and target sales efforts.
- Cultivated subscribers by using data manipulation and analysis to discern customer habits and needs, then turned the intel into robust, user-friendly reports for the editorial team.
- Supported the editorial and layout staff by creating award-winning pictograms, maps, pie charts and more to illustrate key facts and trends in news stories.
- Earned kudos for supporting successful flagship business initiatives in media relations, HR and legal through data analysis and the creation of presentations and dashboards.
- Experience working with structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sets, determining the key takeaways or action items and communicating them pictorially.
- Created numerous white papers, blog posts and articles on data visualization best practices including one of the most downloaded papers of 2013.
Data Visualization Engineer
GLOBAL MEDIA CORP., Atlanta, GA2012 to present
Supported inspired decision-making and innovative problem-solving for several business units in this publisher of newspapers and online news content via insightful data mining and analysis, the creation of actionable data and development of high-impact visual applications.
- Owned the design, development and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc., to drive key business decisions and communicate key concepts to readers.
- Led the complete lifecycle of visual analytical applications, from development of mock ups and storyboards to the complete production-ready application.
- Interfaced with data miners and analysts to extract, transform and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Ruby.
- Fine-tuned and improved query performance using profiling tools and SQL.
- Built database cubes and design star schemas using ER/Studio and Visio.
Data Visualization Specialist
PUBMAGIC2009 to 2012
Promoted into this newly created position after mastering numerous visualization tools and serving as BI manager for two years. Responsible for building next-generation data analytics and visualization platform for this provider of online advertising optimization tools to the publishing industry, helping to drive double-digit growth and the addition of marquee clients.
- Created visualization dashboards for more than a dozen online reports helping clients identify opportunities to sell more advertising.
- Worked closely with the UX group to upgrade and enhance our platform and the user experience by creating new interfaces and infographics depicting complex data sets.
- Led the development of visual analytical applications from wireframe and storyboards to complete production-ready applications.
- Developed rich interactive graphics and data visualizations of large structured data in browser-friendly formats.
- Led project-based cross-functional teams comprised of engineers, graphic designers and user experience experts in the development of three new analytical tools and a host of new capabilities catapulting PubMagic past several competitors.
Data Analyst and Business Intelligence Manager
Participated in the development of new tools, methods and procedures that streamlined data analysis, improved the design of BI tools and reporting, and assisted in the governance and management of master data. Eventually took the lead role on several projects involving data visualization and a full-time role as a data visualization specialist.
- Worked with customers to design and implement business intelligence tools.
- Analyzed data requirements, application and processing architectures, data dictionaries and database schemas while designing, developing, amending, optimizing and certifying database designs to satisfy client needs.
- Gathered functional and non-functional client requirements in order to optimize the design of BI deliverables (reports, dashboards, alerts, visualizations).
- Worked closely with visual design team to select the appropriate visualizations for BI deliverables.
- Developed strategy and road maps including tactics, project plans, milestones and KPIs.
Data Analyst, Peach Enterprises 2006 to 2009, details available upon request.
Data Visualization: Pentaho, Tableau, D3, Saiku, Visit, ParaView, Protovis, Maya, 3ds Max, Visio, ER/Studio
Data Profiling: Talend, Informatica Data Explorer
Databases: MySQL, NoSQL
Blog: Visualize This www.visualizethis.com
White Papers: “What You See” and “Best Practices in Data Visualization” www.datavumag.com
Graphic Samples: www.instagram.com/skaminski
University of Georgia: Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Computer Science Minor
MIT OpenCourseware: How to Process, Analyze and Visualize Data.
European Journalism Center: Doing Journalism with Data: First Steps, Skills and Tools.
Knight Center for Journalism: Introduction to Infographics and Data Visualization
Scott Murray: D3 Tutorials.
Vendor Instruction: Tableau (numerous courses) and TryR