For your weekend reading pleasure, here are the five stories Dice users liked best this week.
- Fate of H-1B Reform Uncertain in the House: Despite the Senate’s passage last week of a comprehensive immigration reform bill, the debate over guest workers – specifically H-1Bs – is far from over. In large part, that’s because the House of Representatives has different ideas about immigration in general.
- What Interviews Say About a Company’s Culture: We hear a lot about how interviewing is a two way street, and how you should be interviewing the company to learn as much about them as they’re learning about you. But did you know that you can learn a lot while they’re asking you questions?
- 5 Things to Learn About Computer Science Degrees: Computer science degrees come with a common misconception, which often discourages students from pursuing them: They’ll turn you into an isolated code cruncher. That’s not really the case.
- Resumes: How to Effectively List Technical Skills: You know the problem: Everyone who reviews your resume — whether they’re a recruiter, an HR staffer or the hiring manager — spends mere seconds on it and wants to decide just one thing: Is this person worth calling in for an interview? To make them think Yes, every part of your resume has to be well thought out and carefully constructed.
- Is the Demise of COBOL Greatly Exaggerated?: Some people say COBOL is kind of like a Wall Street bank: It’s too big to fail.