Hiring Humor: Optimism Gone Nuts

Applicants with a glass-half-full attitude are great.

Unless, of course, they’re half-full of futile hopes for a higher salary.

Ever get the feeling that an applicant saw the salary in a job posting, thought to themselves, “Well, I’m completely unqualified but what the heck? I’d love to make that much!” — and applied anyway?

Share your encounters with unrealistic salary expectations when optimism got a little out of hand.

Post your comment below.

Can your salaries for IT candidates compete? See Dice’s Tech Salary Report.

_______________________________________________________________

In HR and recruiting, you have the BEST stories. You’ve lived through them to tell us the tales (anonymously, of course!) We simply put them on paper for others to empathize – and enjoy a little hiring humor.

Comments

6 Responses to “Hiring Humor: Optimism Gone Nuts”

February 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm, Quientin said:

So true. Just recently I put up a job posting for a full-time Regional IT Director with an above-average starting salary. Let’s just say that the majority of applicants were very optimistic aka I don’t think I will qualify but it won’t hurt to apply.

February 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm, Angela said:

When an employee leaves a stable position for a higher rate on a contract job, why do they always seem to believe that when the contract ends, they can demand the “contract” rate (or much more) at their next stable position? Contract rates are for contracts, silly rabbits.

February 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm, Mark said:

I have quite a few of these actually, my favorite ones are the people who have absolutely no experience in not only the particulars of the job, but the industry the job is in as well (such as IT). Which of course brings me to my favorite candidate quote “I’m a fast learner”. 8

February 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm, Heinz said:

Very true. You can usually tell which candidates are wishful thinking because they’ll submit their resumes without a cover note, because they have nothing to say.

February 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm, Chris said:

I hire a lot and don’t even read the cover note. Its simply:
1) school
2) previous companies
3) technology/role

All the rest of the fluff is pretty meaningless, in most cases.

February 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm, Dave said:

I love the ones who just got out of school and because they were told by an instructor they could make X in the type of job they are applying for, they demand the high wages of someone who has been working in the field for 20 years or more. No practical work experience means a lot of training, time, and expense on my side. And in my experience (31+ years in the business), a lot of these people once they are trained move on to somplace else after 2.5 years, listing my job as the experience. Some of these folks really need to get a clue and stop listening to teachers who have never been out in the real world.

Oh and on this note, some attention to the geographical area and the size of the company they are applying at would help – we are in Boise, Idaho, we do not pay the same rates as a similar job at a major multi-national company located in a major metropolitan area of the country. If they are looking for high figures only and not willing to take less, move to another area of the country and apply elsewhere.