Blue Screen of Death Gets a Friendly Facelift with Windows 8

Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death

Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death

There are only two explanations if you’ve never seen a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD)  in your lifetime. You’re too young — or you don’t use Windows. To be fair, I haven’t seen one either since I upgraded to Windows 7, but these fatal error screens were commonplace back in the days of Windows 98.

But now you can consider the BSoD, in its former form, a relic. With the forthcoming introduction of Windows 8, Microsoft will eliminate harsh-looking error screens. The new Blue Screen of Death, though still technically blue, is easier on the eyes, subtle and much more friendly.

You’ll see a giant, sad emoticon with a simple message that tells you to restart the machine. The error information is below that, reduced to just one line, in a smaller font size.

Seeing the new BSoD should also be significantly less distressing than the one we remember from a decade ago. Back then, we had to save our work manually. You could kiss everything goodbye if you failed to do so before the BSoD greeted you.

Today, with the power of cloud computing, as demonstrated by Google’s Chromebook commercial, getting back to your work after this friendlier BSoD should just be a (much faster) restart away.

While there’s no official release date for Windows 8, industry insiders say it could be out in the first half of 2012. On the other hand, Microsoft Vice President Dan’l Lewin, suggests that it’ll be out in fall next year. “Typically we enter a beta phase, and then in 12 months we’re in the market, so let’s make that assumption,” he said.

Comments

7 Responses to “Blue Screen of Death Gets a Friendly Facelift with Windows 8”

September 20, 2011 at 12:14 am, PsyberTramp said:

So, this is going to be another wonderful piece of junk from the Gang That Can’t Code Right? I gave up on Windoze when the 3.0 beta ate my hard drive. Personally, I prefer no screen of death; just something that works when I need it.

Good luck!

September 20, 2011 at 9:41 am, Marc Connor said:

Despite what the haters say, Windows is still the way to go!
Kudos for improving on the BSoD.
Nobody’s perfect.
I can’t wait to experience the joy of Windows 8.

🙂

September 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm, PsyberTramp said:

This reminds me of a joke my Mom used to tell me when I was small…
Q. Why did the little moron bang his head against the wall?
A. Cuz it felt so good when he quit!

Ahhh, the joy of Windoze 8;-)

September 21, 2011 at 1:06 am, Chris said:

Well, if I am not mistaken, original BSoD had the error code on the bottom, that sometimes was helpful in determining the cause of crash. I don’t see such a code in this version, so that is a huge “-” in my eyes.

September 21, 2011 at 9:29 am, Vincent Chow said:

The error is still displayed in the new BSOD. I have enlarged the screenshot in the article above, the error code is in the last line.

September 21, 2011 at 9:39 am, Paul said:

Like Windows or hate Windows, it’s still the standard. Unless (or until) Linux supports as wide a selection of software and Apple become less proprietorial and more affordable, Windows will be what Windows is: the most popular practical computing platform. For what it’s worth, by being less technical an more friendly the BSoD will continue to be uniquely MicroSoft.

September 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm, PsyberTramp said:

Ya get what ya pay fer, bud. Popularity does not connote goodness.
This “Cheaper is Better” mentality is also at the root of our most recent economic meltdown, but that’s a whole different kettle o’ fish. 😉