Layoffs in D.C.; Seattle and Austin Duke it Out Over Games

DICE NEWS UPDATE: Lousy news from Washington. The Pentagon wants to speed itself up when it comes to cyberdefense initiatives. And Seattle and Austin battle it out to become the home of game development. All on this week’s Update.

Image: Movies World

Comments

No Responses to “Layoffs in D.C.; Seattle and Austin Duke it Out Over Games”

July 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm, andrew said:

Great podcast Mark! good info and great delivery! look out Lou Dobbs!

July 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm, Marcus Griffen said:

Companies are not hiring people who have been out of work for over 6 months, no matter what there qualification are. I wish dice would do an indepth story about the average IT worker by job search. In fact better still Dice should select an IT worker, perhaps and unemployed poster to this site, and using the techniques/advise given by dice blogger see if this person can get a job. Follow that persons progress and report on it. Now, that would be a story.

July 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm, Shill said:

How can there be layoffs? There is an extreme desperate shortage of workers. Right? More h-1bs needed!

July 28, 2011 at 8:38 am, thor said:

Barking dog? It sounded more like an IT recruiter to me!!

July 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm, Nicholas Donovan said:

Re: Marcus Griffen

You are 100% correct sir. As a former VP of a technology division of a Fortune 50 company (Yes that’s not a typo, it was one of the top 50), I recall the day when a certain bank CEO let 349 of us go the same day. I visited that same building one year later to have lunch with a friend and I was amazed how many people from India and other countries in that region were there. (That same company has let go of over 3000 US workers over the last 5 years and replaced them with H-1B holders making approximately 25% as much).

I’ve left technology (still advocating Open Source of course) and am finishing my requirements as a physician. Technology has lost many of its senior people on both the management and development front. Shortsighted CEOs such as the above mentioned one are the real problem. Ironically, this bank CEO, had been previously fired from Citibank.

Your analysis was spot on Marcus. I searched for a technology job for over three years with no success. I was either too old (They were afraid I wanted too much money) or by the time I could settle for some entry position, for what they were willing to pay, I could have made more working in a restaurant. I have kids that are in college and some that will be in college soon. American technology is a dead field from the workers perspective.

These executives who believe you outsource everything overseas and have no impact on quality, are ignoring the very marketplace they claim to be paying such close attention to.

July 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm, T.J. Ferrer said:

Sadly said, the statement posted by Nicholas is true! As a former IT Director myself with over 10 years experience I was replaced by someone who did not have IT background to manage high-end networks. The worse part was that two weeks after I was laid-off the new IT person who took over my position was calling me on the phone asking me for help on how to run the system. A few months later I found out that this new IT person was not able to handle the system and the servers were outsourced to someone else for support.

Since then, I have left Information Technology behind and currently putting my efforts in medicine and public health.

July 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm, Will said:

In ref to the Marcus Griffin post: It job searches are very cumbersome. I have hit that wall of being too old. I’m not old but experienced (it is all in your own definition of old). It is very difficult to find IT management positions that will pay you what you are worth. I am finding that companies advertise for a manager but really want a technician. It has been many years since I have had hands-on work. I know the technology but have been in management positions for a while now. A good study based on what Dice recommends on the site would be nice. Find someone that can spell and use proper grammar to conduct the study.

July 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm, T.J. Ferrer said:

In regard to Marcus Griffen posting on July 26, 2011, what base knowledge is available that supports the statement “Companies are not hiring people who have been out of work for over 6 months, no matter what there qualification are”?. In this low employment market, companies are looking for very low pay employees with minimum technological skills willing to be trained. Other companies are hiring highly educated employees with high pay based on contract/assignment terms. This means that positions are only available for a short period of time (3-6 months contract) without benefits. Nevertheless, the job market is very competitive and highly educated people are also taking low paying jobs to survive. Job seekers have to re-invent themselves, re-shape their technological skills and integrate their knowledge into different frames in the job market. One example is Medicine and Technology. Physicians, Clinics and Hospitals need technological help achieving Meaningful Use. Regional Extension Centers across the nation are hiring technical people to help the medical community with this process. However, Regional Extension Centers are government subsidized and funding is limited. Perhaps DICE could provide additional information on what employers are looking for.