The REAL 10 Best Space Movies of All Time

Destination Moon Movie Poster

Destination Moon Movie PosterTo mark the final flight of the Space Shuttle, CNN posted its list of the best space movies ever made. Having seen Star Wars 32 times, Close Encounters 16 times, and being able to recite most of Blade Runner  from memory (original cut or director’s cut), I read it.

I know that lists are subjective and everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but let’s just say the term “WTF” was created for things like this.

Here’s the list, by CNN’s Josh Lubin:

1. The Right Stuff

Okay, let’s stop here. The Right Stuff? The Right Stuff? — with huge sections of dialogue simply transcribed from the book and with as much energy as a Saturday Night Live skit is Number 1? Let’s swallow and go on.

2. Star Wars

3. Aliens

Okay, I’ll buy these. Both had huge impacts on either the future of SF movies, or pop culture in general. So, sure. Numbers 2 and 3.

4. Flash Gordon

I simply don’t know what to say.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey

Finally. No one who’s watched space movies on something besides their TV can argue with Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece being in the top 5.

His honorable mentions, which you should read sitting down.

SpaceCamp
Explorers
The Last Starfighter

Seriously, SPACECAMP? Even Spaceballs was way better than that.

In the interests of being fair, I’ll present my own list. Not everyone will agree with me, but at least I’ve managed to avoid putting SpaceCamp and 2001 on the same list.

Mark’s best space movies ever:

1. Solaris (the American version, directed by Stephen Soderbergh and starring George Clooney)
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    3. Sunshine
    4. Star Trek (J.J. Abrams version)
    5. Star Wars
    6. HBO’s From the Earth to the Moon ( a mini series, but still…)
    7. 2010: The Year We Make Contact
    8. Silent Running
    9. Aliens
    10. Marooned
    11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (the original cut)

Laugh if you want, Monkey Boy. Or post comments — or better yet, share your own favorites — below.

Source: CNN

Comments

No Responses to “The REAL 10 Best Space Movies of All Time”

July 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm, Mike said:

JJ Abrams Star Trek? Seriously? Only a millenialist would “update” James Tiberius Kirk via changing him from a supremely confident does-not-believe-in-the-no-win-scenario-so-I-will-reprogram-the-simulator, to an arrogant a$$ who likes to pick fights.

July 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm, Mark Feffer said:

Well, Mike, my feelings are kind of complicated about Star Trek. I did debate including The Wrath of Kahn on the list — it was a near thing. But I think the holders of the franchise did a few unforgivable things which probably impacted my thinking. They are, in no particular order:

1. Counselor Troi.
2. Counselor Troi marrying Riker
3. The Klingons going all sensitive new agey on us with Worf.
4. Not giving Seven of Nine her own series (Okay, I’m kidding about that one.)
5. Janeway falling in love with a Holodeck character
6. Pretending a starship could survive Whoopi Goldberg
7. Q
8. Q

On the other hand, they did offer these pieces of standout brilliance:

1. Christopher Plummer in the Undiscovered Country
2. Christopher Lloyd in the Search for Spock
3. Seven of Nine (This time, I’m not kidding)
4 The whole concept of the Borg
5 The Emergency Medical Hologram on Star Trek Voyager

As for Chris Pine’s Kirk. He was young.

July 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm, Mike said:

If I were to pick my favorite ST movies:

The Undiscovered Country

Generations

First Contact (although I did not like the Ephram Cockran character, or his screaming assistant)

July 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm, R. Emmett O'Ryan said:

Re Seven of Nine, I always wanted to see who the other eight were…

July 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm, Mike said:

My faves, in no particular order:

Alien

Aliens

Star Wars episode IV (cuz it was the first)

Star Trek The Undiscovered Country (because Plummer, a Shakespearean actor, and Shatner, his understudy, quote Shakespeare, and McCoy will pay real money if he’d just shut up)

Apollo 13

StarMan (because even extra-terrestrials can appreciate Dutch Apple Pie)

ET

July 12, 2011 at 11:15 am, R. Emmett O'Ryan said:

For fun films, I noticed that the 1966 film “Mars Needs Women” starting Tommy Kirk was missing, as well as, the classic “Earth Girls are Easy” (with Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, and Damon Wayans).

And for inspiring films there is “October Sky”, “The Dish”, “Apollo 13”, “The Right Stuff”, and “Ron Howard presents ‘In the Shadow of the Moon.’ ”

July 12, 2011 at 11:32 am, R. Emmett O'Ryan said:

As for “unforgivable” characters in Space Movies, the MOST unforgivable character ever has to be “Jar Jar Binks” in “Star Wars” Episodes I to III.

George Lucas should have at least put sub-titles on his dialogue or perhaps dressed him in a red jersey so he would be next to be killed off – oh wait, that’s “Star Trek.”

July 13, 2011 at 10:53 am, Jeff Markel said:

“Serenity” needs to be on the list. (I would have written “Firefly,” since it was even better, but we’re talkin’ movies here, not TV).

Joss Whedon may have more story sense and character mojo in his little finger than JJ Abrams and George Lucas put together.

June 07, 2012 at 1:45 am, alex said:

Moon (2009) should be on this list.

And while I like Aliens and think it can reasonably a top 10 space movie list as the action movie entry, Alien just has to be ahead of it!

Pitch Black is another space movie that could populate the bottom rung of a top 10 list of space movies (which sadly is a very weak genre).

June 07, 2012 at 8:00 am, Mark Feffer said:

I have to admit I haven’t seen Moon, but I know I have to. Next on my Netflix or Hulu list.