Dice News Update: More Jobs Than IT Pros in Southern California

In LA and San Diego, the demand for tech professionals outstrips supply. Plus, the need for healthcare IT consultants just keeps growing.

See last week’s update here.

Comments

23 Responses to “Dice News Update: More Jobs Than IT Pros in Southern California”

June 03, 2010 at 12:15 am, Mr. West said:

California is a great state awesome weather. And jobs are here as well. What more could you ask for?

June 03, 2010 at 12:15 am, Mr. West said:

June 03, 2010 at 12:24 am, Robert E said:

I agree, who the hell wants to move to a stinking, hot, lizard foot fruit produsing hell hole like CA. Cal is so OVERRATED, I perfer less taxes too so to those companies…..Try relocating then hire.

June 03, 2010 at 12:24 am, Robert E said:

June 03, 2010 at 12:38 am, HPNick said:

@B.F. – most states are bankrupt these days. You go where the work is in this type of economy. CA is not the most expensive place to live in the US and the weather is great in SoCal.

June 03, 2010 at 12:38 am, HPNick said:

June 03, 2010 at 1:04 am, Rick said:

Well B.F., live in the gulf coast of Florida (another ‘broke’ state, even though there’s a ton of money here, as with Cali) and have been studying Management Information Systems. I did great on the A+ exams and am working on Net+ and after that MCSA/MSCE, Security+, and perhaps Cisco. I taught myself computer building and programming as a kid and have been fiddling with tech my whole life.

I fear that we’ll be breathing oily fumes for the next few years around here and I have to get out. I have to go somewhere warm and friendly. So Cal here I come?

June 03, 2010 at 1:04 am, Rick said:

June 03, 2010 at 1:23 am, Tony said:

I live in the “bankrupt and highly taxed state” and I am an Network Systems Administrator who loves the job but caint stand the people, soooo I’m very happy
to read that I should make a few more pass throughs on my resume and start applying!!!

June 03, 2010 at 1:23 am, Tony said:

June 03, 2010 at 5:04 am, Carlos A. Ribeiro said:

In San Diego nhave opportunities for SAP FI CO Senior Consultant? I have 12 years of strong experience in projectos around the world.

June 03, 2010 at 5:04 am, Carlos A. Ribeiro said:

June 03, 2010 at 11:55 am, B.F. said:

Ok, lots of jobs in So. CA… who cares? Who the heck would want to move to a highly taxed and still bankrupt state like CA.

June 03, 2010 at 11:55 am, B.F. said:

June 04, 2010 at 8:48 am, Bill said:

@BF, you forgot that CA is the center of the universe. Mark hasn’t done this before and I would hope he doesn’t make a habit of it.

June 04, 2010 at 8:48 am, Bill said:

June 04, 2010 at 8:50 am, Bill said:

@HPNick. I’m not sure where you’re coming from. The CA state government is in dire financial straits. CA may or may not be the most expensive place to live in the US, but it’s in the top five!

June 04, 2010 at 8:50 am, Bill said:

June 05, 2010 at 12:19 am, Don said:

Psssst ……. Hey ……. I hate to tell you but actually the whole world is broke. Liabilities exceed assets. The banks loan out 10,000 for every 1,000 they actually have. Now, people can not pay back the money that the bank pulled out of thin air because the economy is not growing. So….. I say, dig in anywhere, if you do not have roots it is a great time to see every city you can via IT contract. Do you REALLY know what it is like in Tulsa?

June 05, 2010 at 12:19 am, Don said:

June 08, 2010 at 7:21 am, J Fred Muggs said:

Sometimes I feel like those 1940’s cartoons — looking into a mirror, seeing a donkey looking back …

Dice Holdings used to be located in the Silicon Valley area of CA [now with an APR-2010 U/E rate of 11.7%].

My bad! Even their location has changed, too. They’re primarily located in Urbandale, IA [a suburb of Des Moines with a U/E rate of 6.8%] and NYC, NY with a U/E rate of 8.8%.

Tell me — just how bad is it, employment-wise, in Urbandale or NYC ? You haven’t seen U/E until you’ve lived in towns and cities where the rate of unemployed exceeds your state’s total population! For example, El Centro at 25% or Los Angeles at 11.7% or Santa Ana at 9.7%; ALL which are higher than anything or anywhere in IA!

So, if employers are just itching to hire IT workers; WHY aren’t they [hiring] ?!

Check out the other DICE story: “Dice Discussions-Tech Market Conditions-‘Why is it so hard to find employment in IT as compared with other professions?'”

June 08, 2010 at 7:21 am, J Fred Muggs said: