Resume Formats to Choose From

Resume Format

Before the recession the traditional resume, which emphasizes a candidate’s full-time work history, was edging toward obsolescence. And now that record numbers of job seekers are pursuing career changes, opportunities in new industries or freelance work, the chronological resume has been supplanted by formats better-suited for transitioning workers.

If you’re pursuing a new career, or have changed jobs frequently, a chronological resume may emphasize your shortcomings to a reviewer or understate your greatest assets – most notably your transferrable skills and experience. Fortunately, you have the option of selecting from a variety of resume formats, including blended styles that combine the best portions of each version. As long as the resume conveys your message clearly and concisely – contains no spelling or grammatical errors – almost anything goes.

Here are some formats:

• Chronological (sometimes called "reverse chronological"): Historically, chronological resumes start with an objective statement, while the main body lists the candidate’s previous positions, tasks and major accomplishments. They’re ideal for someone with a stable work history, who wants to do the same job at a new company. Modern job seekers insert a marketing or branding statement instead of an objective and include a brief summary of qualifications before listing their tech skills and work history.
  • Functional format: Best for contractors, career changers and those wanting to apply to a variety of positions using one resume. It highlights the candidate’s cumulative expertise and transferrable skills. Job seekers consolidate their expertise under major categories, then offer an abbreviated list of jobs or assignments where they acquired their experience, omitting the specific employment dates. Contractors may want to provide the duration of each project (such as "six months") or give interviewers a supplemental project list, providing more details about each gig.
  • Targeted format: This focuses your skills and experience toward a specific position or company. It’s great for candidates who know they want to work as a network administrator at a health care facility, for example. It’s preferred by reviewers, because it connects the dots between your experience and the position.
  • Blended format: If you have a stable work history, but prefer to highlight your relevant skills and accomplishments, choose a blended format. Candidates highlight their relevant experience using a summary from a functional or targeted format, followed with a chronological work history. The format helps job seekers direct the reviewer toward their transferrable or matching skills without raising a red flag about their stability.

Leslie Stevens-Huffman

Comments

13 Responses to “Resume Formats to Choose From”

September 20, 2009 at 10:09 am, Henry Flynn said:

You keep on requesting my Resume, but your web site keeps asking me questions that I have already answered, but doesn’t give me the option of sending my resume, without reanswering all the questions. I am not going to waste my time reanswering questions. So , I suggest that you have your web master fix the problem, then have me send me Resume. Thanks.

September 24, 2009 at 7:10 am, Ray Hastie said:

Nice short entry – but where are the examples? I have 14 yrs experience 11 of them as a contractor and a functional resume seems tailored to my needs since my chronological resume is 8 pgs long with the first five yrs condensed.

I know I can find samples on the web but if you are going to provide a column or blog about resumes, atleast provide real content.

September 24, 2009 at 7:55 am, Craig said:

This is not an article meant to help job seekers, it is an advertisement for your resume service. If you wanted to help or inform us you would have examples – like on Monster.com!

September 24, 2009 at 8:27 am, Victoria Walker said:

I agree, where are the examples? You descriptions are not effective by themselves in describing how these different formats would look.

September 24, 2009 at 8:33 am, Tom Rice said:

Since many positions are Contract and Dice advertises these assignments. Could you please give examples in Chronological and Functional Resume Form.

September 24, 2009 at 9:06 am, Lisa Edwards said:

I agree. Where are the examples? I get tired of people offering lame advise and never trying to really help.

September 24, 2009 at 9:17 am, Yavuz Saglam said:

This article does not provide anything new. Examples would be nice for contractors. Dice should provide articles about Do’s and Don’ts of resume writing.

September 25, 2009 at 12:01 am, A R Barber said:

A Theory based on observation/experience:

Many positions listed on job boards are posted by
A. contract agencies (‘Phishing’ for candidates)
B. Head-hunters (trying to find a sellable candidate)
Generally, these goups are going to try to fit you into more than one position. A broad view of skills together with background would seem to be useful.

When applying for jobs with a direct employer, a more ‘point-for-point-tailored-to-the-annoucement’ resume would be best.

This analysis comes from frequently being told by
agency types “we need to restructure your resume”
and frequently hearing that the advertised position was filled ..’but we have an another opportunity’… that
was not the position advertised…anywhere.

September 25, 2009 at 9:44 am, Terry Orcutt said:

I agree. They don’t give any real new information that we didn’t already know or that isn’t in any basic “How to prepare your resume” book.

September 27, 2009 at 9:00 am, Abdel ghaffar Ahmed Mustafa said:

send me example of these Formats ,,,

September 27, 2009 at 10:36 am, Akus said:

I was going to ask the exact same thing.

September 28, 2009 at 10:52 am, Donna K. Hawkins said:

I agree with the previous posts. Examples of what employers are looking for in resumes would help. I want my resume to stand out from the others. I am trying to return to the IT field after several years absence raising a family. I finally received my B.S. degree. The job market is tight and I want employers to look at my abilities and potential, not my employment gap.

September 29, 2009 at 2:22 am, Mark Feffer said:

We’ve got a number of sample resumes in our Resume Center. You can look at them here: