DiceTV: Opportunities Coming in Health IT

The Script

The government’s stimulus plan sets aside about $36 billion to push implementation of electronic health records systems, or “EHRs.” Although much of the funding won’t be available until 2011, a lot of physicians’ groups, clinics, and medical laboratories may begin working with digital formats over the next year or so.

Most big HMOs and large hospital groups have already begun shifting to EHRs. But there are a lot of small medical groups and doctor’s offices around the country, and most of them still use paper. These are basically small businesses, and the cost savings they’ll get from adopting EHRs will have a big impact on their bottom lines.

So, where are the opportunities? The biggest will be for small consulting firms that help physicians and small medical groups make the changeover. They’ll need people to help physicians plan their systems and adopt the new technologies. They’ll also need training and support specialists.

If you understand systems that support  workflow and networking in small or midsize offices, you’ll have an advantage. Think Microsoft Sharepoint. Also useful will be knowledge of applications that convert paper records to digital records.

Another thing: It’ll help if you’re familiar with some of the more common clinical information systems that support EHRs. These include Open Vista from MedSphere Systems; Centricity EMR from GE; Omni MD; and gloStream, an EHR and practice management system that works with Microsoft Office.

So, in a nutshell: Keep your eye on health technology.

I can’t believe they do this to you

I’m Cat Miller, this has been DiceTV, and we now return you to your regular desktop.

Comments

15 Responses to “DiceTV: Opportunities Coming in Health IT”

November 28, 2009 at 12:16 am, Mike said:

I’ve seen lots of “systems” and such implemented and invariably the shortage is training. Therefore, by default IT continues to do for the users what the new stuff was supposed to allow the users to do for themselves.

December 03, 2009 at 12:01 am, Debra Myland said:

Are we sure they aren’t gong to out source those postions as well?

December 03, 2009 at 12:21 am, gigi said:

I am sure India IT will get the big projects

December 03, 2009 at 1:02 am, Joe said:

Hi, I to have an extensive BA and project management background primarily within the Consumer Projects Industry. I’ve recently found out that I may be intitled to receive Federal assistance to get retrained. I’m interested in working in Healthcare IT but not sure what to do in regards to getting properly trained. Any suggestions?

December 03, 2009 at 1:12 am, Yvette said:

I am a Business Analyst doing healthcare IT and my clinical background came from being a surgical technician. It has also been hard to find a job, becasuse you need to having some training on the different software that is available. I suggest that you find some on-line certificate and masters programs. University of Illinois Chicago has on-line certificate and masters program, HIMSS has certiicate program. I hope this information helps. I have been out of work for two years, so even healthcare IT workers are having a hard time:)

December 03, 2009 at 2:03 am, Sharmaine said:

I work in the medical field as a CNA, I also worked in the medical records dept and I would like to get into the Health IT side. What training do you suggest so I can get in on the ground floor?

December 03, 2009 at 3:23 am, Pamela Vernocchi said:

Hi-
I’m new to all of this. I just completed a Medical Coding and Billing Specialist course, and certification. How would I go about getting info, and learn about the new EHR systems?

December 03, 2009 at 10:20 am, Brenda Leontaritis said:

Hello Cat,

Your advice is fantastic in this article. I have a question though, I have over twelve years in Telecommunications, specifically as a business analyst, project manager, product manager, IT Portfolio Manager, etc. My question is that I would love to get in on the ground floor on the Health IT side of the house, but so far I’m finding that unless you have a medical background, they won’t consider you. What do you think is the best way to satisfy that requirement?

Brenda

December 03, 2009 at 11:26 am, Jenny said:

Brenda, I’m with you on this one. I am an experienced BA, but with no hands on clinical experience. I worked as a PM in a medical services organization and got some exposure, but it is not enough for hiring managers. I have seriously be thinking of doing a stint as a medical office worker to start getting that cred, but it really seems that a bright and experienced analyst should be able to work on some of these EHR implementations or other IT improvements for small physician organizations.

I would love to hear some advice from someone who has made the jump into IT with out being a physician/RN.

December 03, 2009 at 11:35 am, Mike Bibona said:

Dice TV this is the most useless crap I have ever seen. The opening segment where Cat is upset over the dice turkey was stupid and the whole 2:47 was a waste of time. There were no specifics give, no info on where one might get the training on the applications mentioned. I am going to unsubscribe from Dice so you don’t clog my Inbox any more.

December 03, 2009 at 11:53 am, Healthcare IT Professional said:

WTF? What a bunch of crap! Good Luck with that!

December 05, 2009 at 11:52 am, Richard Blain said:

I’m a database/server software developer who is looking into the Health IT field. I talked with a Computer Science professor at San Jose State University, Dan Harkey (dan.harkey@sjsu.edu), who is trying to start an elective class in Health IT software, or create a certificate program in Health IT and computing. If you live in Silicon Valley (or even if you don’t), please contact him and let him know there is demand for Health IT training, and what skills/training Health IT employers want from computer/electronic engineering professionals.

December 06, 2009 at 5:30 am, Politics again said:

I am opposed to set our medical records up for easy theft and abuse by anyone. Chances are most small offices will not be able to have effective security or afford the cost of converting old records ACCURATELY.

December 09, 2009 at 3:23 am, ShimCode said:

India and other offshore may get the big software coding jobs but they will be hard pressed to get the business analyst, implementation and/or training gigs. I’ve been in healthcare IT for 16 years and have only known a handful of these people who can communicate and understand American health care business methods.

December 09, 2009 at 3:26 am, ShimCode said:

Also, not sure where that list of “common EHR’s” came from but that’s a very short list and those are not as common as others not on that list.

Also, many local community colleges are ramping up to start varuous healthcare IT and related certification programs. You can know this by looking at the huge increase in job postings for instructional designers and ‘professors.’