DiceTV: ‘I’ll Take Anything!’

The Script

You may feel desperate. In fact, you may very well be desperate. But blurt out, “I’ll take anything!” at a job interview, and you may blow your chances of being offered a job. I’m Cat Miller, and this is DiceTV.

When an interviewer hears those three words – “I’ll take anything” – it’s a total red flag. It’s the worst thing you could say. Why?

Because it implies “anything” will do for the time being – and that you’ll be looking for the job you really want in the meantime.

Keep in mind employers are looking out for their best interest – not yours. The HR person or manager who’s interviewing you is interested in meeting the company’s needs. Your job is to demonstrate you’ve done some advance thinking about what they need, and how you can help them.

That calls for preparation. You have to show you’re the one with the skill and passion for the job, the person who’s taken the time to research the company, and given real thought to how they’ll fit in. The more you know about the company and the job, the more attention you’ll get.

You’ll also score points by playing it cool. Candidates who are a little too excited can make managers nervous. But be careful – You want to appear cool and relaxed, not cool and aloof. Be sure to reply to phone calls, messages, and e-mails promptly. Otherwise, you’ll be moved down the list for sure.

The bottom line? Be confident, not desperate. Interview to sell yourself and your skill set, and the company will remember you. Even if you don’t get the job, they may invite you back later – for the position you really want.

I’m Cat Miller, this has been DiceTV, and we now return you to your regular desktop.

Comments

17 Responses to “DiceTV: ‘I’ll Take Anything!’”

September 24, 2009 at 1:10 am, ray said:

I agree it seems obvious, but what if the interviewer offers you a job that is a lower position than the one you are interviewing for. Will you say yes? That might not be so obvious, but it might be a tricky way of asking “will you take anything?”.

September 24, 2009 at 1:57 am, BOB said:

Your absolutely right on! It is definetly a thought to keep in the back of your mind on your way to a job interview. Remind yourself not to blurt it out Might want to purchase book entitled: The 250 Job Interview Questions by Peter Veruki $9.95 paperback.Business Week Best seller!!!!.

September 24, 2009 at 7:22 am, Craig said:

Good solid advice.

September 24, 2009 at 7:39 am, Mike said:

Well said!

September 24, 2009 at 9:15 am, Ryguy said:

In other words: LIE THROUGH YOUR FUCKING TEETH!

September 24, 2009 at 9:44 am, jimijoni said:

Good advice but you looked nervous which made me feel desperate.

September 24, 2009 at 11:09 am, MattyMat said:

I remember being offered a job after I definitely knew I didn’t want to work with these people and just played it cool in the interview. Good advice!!

September 24, 2009 at 11:11 am, MattyMat said:

I miss the swimsuit!!!

September 24, 2009 at 11:20 am, D said:

Is it just me or is this advice really obvious?

September 24, 2009 at 11:38 am, Dan said:

Related: I’m an unemployed software developer, experienced in the Microsoft technology stack. Even though I need a job, I don’t hesitate to answer some questions, with, “I don’t want to sell myself short, but I don’t have much experience in that area. I know from past career experience of needing to learn new technologies quickly that I won’t have trouble becoming expert in that area, but right now I don’t have that specific experience.”

It’s rare that an individual knows *everything*, and I feel that many employers appreciate the honesty vs. getting a answer they will quickly know you’re bluffing or trying to gloss over.

An interview is a two way street– I’m also judging a company to see if it’s a place I want to work and will help my career. Just because I hit a speed bump doesn’t mean I need to drive into a ditch.

A very good group of videos for career advice that can add to the advice given by Kat is here:
dub dub dub -dot- msdnevents – dotcom -forwardslash- thrivedev -forwardslash- DriveCareer”

September 24, 2009 at 11:49 am, bill said:

Agree with “D”. This seems a little obvious. Tell your friends you’ll take anything, but not your interviewer.

September 25, 2009 at 1:06 am, aviv said:

This is nonsense.
How can it imply that I will be looking for a different job later? if I want this one and it will be good for me I will stay.
What is true is the fact that by saying “I will take anything” it can be understood that I am not good enough for this job so am willing to start with any rate, just to put my foot at the door. If the employer is looking for someone more qualified this can be a deal breaker.

Aviv M
anetonline

September 25, 2009 at 8:09 am, John said:

Bravo!

Great advice. When you say don’t be too excitable it reminded me of Spud interviewing for a job in Trainspotting

September 28, 2009 at 1:31 am, David said:

Yeah, this advise was really obvious. However, what about an interview for a clown position? What sort of professionalism is involved? Is make-up really necessary? Should we demonstrate skills of juggling or just wait until asked?

September 29, 2009 at 1:52 am, Janet said:

Good advise! How do you react to multiple reschedules by the? Do you take this as negative or positive on either side?

October 05, 2009 at 8:04 am, joe said:

I agree: bring back the bikini!

March 19, 2010 at 4:35 am, robot said:

Idiot advice. Normal person will always be nervous, unless it is not important for that person (see one reply here, when guy understood that he does not want to work with those people, he was cool and he got that job). And look at those interviewers who gave him that job – they hired person who will leave as soon as possible (because he doesn’t like them). That is another reason why that advice is idiot.
Normal interviewers should make adjustment for nervous behavior of candidate – IT IS NORMAL !! If interviewers are not normal themselves and will not
make such adjustment they risk to get employee who does not care not only about job interview, but also about job itself. And from other hand, if person is nervous at job interview that means he/she cares what is going on and that is why he/she will care about job too, i.e. the person is responsible !!!.
And from candidate’s hand, if interviewers don’t make such adjustment – they don’t care about their candidate/employee at all, so how long can you work at that company? As long, as you will need time to find other company with normal people.
Back to subject – may be we should try to be not over-nervous – that has sense, and I absolutely agree with that, and that is not easy. But to be not nervous at all?
Are you robot/terminator?