See How Much H-1B Holders Earn at Top Tech Firms

How much can H-1B visa holders expect to earn at the nation’s top tech companies?

In some cases, quite a bit: according to new data from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), H-1B holders at Apple earn an average annual salary of $139,000. That places the tech behemoth slightly ahead of Google, where those with the visa make an average of $132,000, and Microsoft, where they can pull down $126,000.

Cisco ($121,000) and Amazon ($115,000) round out the top five on this list of highest-paying H-1B sponsors. That’s significantly higher than the average salary for all visas issued in 2016, which was $91,000.

However, tech firms weren’t the companies with the most H-1B visa petitions approved by the Department of Homeland Security. In 2016, business consultancy firms such as Cognizant, Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services, and Accenture racked up the most successful petitions. (It’s worth noting that those consultancy firms also paid out far lower salaries to their H-1B visa holders than the major tech companies.)

That data backs up one of the core complaints about the H-1B program: visas overwhelmingly go to IT consultancy and outsourcing companies. Overall, some 4,000 companies applied for H-1B visas last year, and 20 companies were responsible for roughly 37 percent of approvals; eight of the top ten companies were IT consultancies.

Earlier this year, President Trump issued an executive order tasking the departments of Homeland Security, Justice, Labor, and State with reviewing current H-1B policy. During an April event in Wisconsin, Trump said that such visas should be given to “the most skilled and highly paid applicants, and they should never be used to replace Americans.”

As part of that “Buy American, Hire American” executive order, USCIS plans on engaging in a number of “listening sessions” with employers and workers. The first session, conducted in late July, featured 760 callers.

The executive order isn’t the first time that the federal government has attempted to address fundamental issues in the H-1B system. U.S. Senate bill 2266, for example, tried to prioritize H-1B distribution by applicants’ skills, degrees, proposed wages, and so on; that bill hasn’t moved since its introduction in late 2015. Other bills have attempted to restrict the ability of applicants to displace those currently employed. In any case, widespread changes to current legislation have remained elusive, enraging critics to no end.

Many tech companies insist that capping the H-1B program won’t resolve some longstanding issues with sourcing tech talent. “While a blanket reduction in foreign workers seems popular on the surface, it does not address the core issue facing the U.S. today, we do not have enough technology workers and things are only going to get worse,” Joe Vacca, CMO of talent-development firm Revature, wrote in an emailed statement to Dice earlier this year. “Universities cannot adjust to the rapid changes that are occurring in technology, the private sector must bridge that gap and train the next generation of U.S. technology workers.”

But altering the country’s educational pipeline is a long-term project. The big question for the immediate future: if the federal government pushes reform, will it radically change which companies petition for H-1B workers? And how will that affect U.S.-based tech pros?

Comments

92 Responses to “See How Much H-1B Holders Earn at Top Tech Firms”

August 09, 2017 at 8:49 am, Eric said:

“Many tech companies insist that capping the H-1B program won’t resolve some longstanding issues with sourcing tech talent…” So disingenuous of them. And what are *THEY* doing to address the shortage except for lobbying for access to cheap labor. What are their training budgets? What are their engagement with higher education sector?
“Universities cannot adjust to the rapid changes that are occurring in technology..” I beg to disagree. Students rack up huge student debts and yet acquire no path to lucrative careers? So, are we to believe that universities will continue to churn very expensive but useless degrees and people will be ok with that? Market forces be damned. I just refuse to believe this tripe.

August 09, 2017 at 9:35 am, April said:

Cheap price motivates H1B hiring and that is it. Tata is very good example. Trump promised to take action, nothing so far I see.

August 10, 2017 at 7:01 am, JM said:

Spot on. And those students that get degrees that end in “Studies” should not wonder why they can’t find a job to pay off that debt.

August 10, 2017 at 7:05 am, Barb said:

Address the shortage of Americans with technology degrees…. H-1B has been around for a while and the ‘taking of American jobs’ has been going on in relation to the H-1B ‘problem’. What young American person would even consider going into a technology career knowing that the jobs are being filled by foreign workers?? It looks like the companies created their own shortage – monster. They took the Risk. Now basic supply and demand – they have to pay a premium for American workers.

August 10, 2017 at 7:10 am, Felix Perry said:

This is another scam by the tech companies,as it is with most things in America!Capitalism isn’t for the regular struggling American.Such a shame!!!

August 10, 2017 at 2:27 pm, Paul Allen said:

There is no shortage of American tech talent. I’m an engineer of over 30 years experience and I have seen how many H1-B workers have taken jobs that I or some other talented American could do, and possibly do better. The fact is, foreign workers are cheaper (even though those wages look high, in the tech industry, those are average to low) than American workers.

In my educated opinion, the H1-B program should be canceled at least until our employment numbers are up. In addition, our WAY over-priced AS, BS, MS, and Ph.D programs at our universities need to be adjusted.

August 10, 2017 at 4:01 pm, Jono said:

I can almost guarantee your age counts against you. *Most* tech experts that I have worked with that have that sort of experience are in fact inexperienced with modern technologies <- that's anecdotal, but it's also how more senior people in the IT industry are perceived.

I can tell you that there is definitely a shortage in senior-level tech. I have been offered roles but no H1-B visas have panned out.

The programme is definitely broken and does need review – but cancelling it is the wrong move to promote growth in the IT sectors.

Still, it currently supports the likes of Infosys who spam the pool with a million international developers every intake, where the developers are offered well under market-rate, but above the level in which the H1-B programme starts to take notice of the number of H1-B visas already in the programme.

There really is a place for the H1-B programme; the roles I have been offered were quite-to-very senior in large tech markets, all paying well above the averages mentioned in this article, and not with the companies mentioned. But that is not who Infosys needs, and they certainly won't be paying half their salary to pay for Infosys-run accomodations. They corrupt the system, and it is disgusting – target them, not the programme…

August 10, 2017 at 5:36 pm, Paul Allen said:

I have a few things against me in the Software Engineering marketplace, in no specific order.:

1. I’m 52 years old and perceived to be out of touch, too old, whatever you want to call it.
2. I have not had a clearance since 1995 so, even though I am highly qualified for most of the DoD positions where I live, they won’t even consider me.
3. I worked too long for the same company on proprietary software leaving me with no portfolio.
4. I am way over qualified for lesser engineering positions causing employers to shy away for various reasons (the first being the fear of me leaving for a better position within weeks to a few months).
5. H1-B workers taking our jobs.

August 10, 2017 at 6:43 pm, Michael said:

The only place I can think of for H1B, or constituent HNX alphabet soup visas, is in the toilet bowl, or perhaps the circular file. It’s only purpose from my perspective is to balkanize the workforce and destroy the U.S. population. For that alone I cannot, indeed will not, abide it.

August 12, 2017 at 11:01 pm, shan var said:

yes, cancel H1, good for India an US

August 10, 2017 at 6:41 am, Joe said:

Earth to Nicky Kolakowski…..there is NO shortage of STEM/tech talent. H-1B needs to end NOW!

August 10, 2017 at 8:00 am, Edward I. said:

… and the worse fact is that in United States as a motherland of all IT inventions, the young generation looking at the struggles of their fathers with careers in IT, does not want to get into technology programs in colleges. So the future of technology inventions in the US is very much compromised if nothing will be done about it today. Please correct me if I am wrong!

August 10, 2017 at 9:27 am, Dan said:

I agree with Ed – why would either of my two sons follow me into a career in IT after seeing the struggles I’ve had over my career? Load up on debt to be paid at H1-B rates – if they could even be considered for the role? I’ve found you stand little chance of being hired in IT if you’re not S. Asian these days, especially by an Indian firm.

August 13, 2017 at 3:13 pm, John Dice Doe said:

Both my children are very smart, they like math and science and they did not follow in my steps for the same reasons: they saw my struggles, working very hard, then get replaced by an Indian because of their nepotism and favoritism of their own. And same cycle starts all over again. completely f!@#edup system. At least the nepotism and L1 scam can be stopped before H1B is fixed. EEOC needs to be more actively protecting the work force.

August 10, 2017 at 2:45 pm, John said:

I agree with Joe. I lost one of my positions which was highly specialized in the technical field to an Indian for whom I was paid a bonus to train him before I was relieved. That tech was probably paid half what I was paid but the Indian consulting firm that placed him made double his salary as a fee which probably cost more than my salary combined. Oh and the company I work for went bankrupt.

August 10, 2017 at 2:47 pm, John said:

I agree with Joe. I lost one of my positions which was highly specialized in the technical field to an Indian for whom I was paid a bonus to train him before I was relieved. That tech was probably paid half what I was paid but the Indian consulting firm that placed him made double his salary as a fee which probably cost more than my salary combined. Oh and the company I worked for went bankrupt.

August 10, 2017 at 6:59 am, BillyBobDupree said:

My local bank, Suntrust, has outsourced all of its bank teller positions and branch management to foreign workers. I don’t know how this works. Are these H1-B people, or did Suntrust sign a contract with an outsourcing firm who is hiring people “visiting” the country under some sort of an unofficial program?

Apparently, Wall Street’s “Race to the Bottom” campaign means even jobs that weren’t particularly high-skill labor can be assaulted. Trump won the election because this is a rampant problem, and only he and Bernie Sanders seemed to be aware of it. Princess Hillary simply babbled the typical “focus on retraining for a new future…we’ll give you a tax credit” crap…tax credits don’t pay bills. Outsourcing, in her mind, cannot be dealt with…the billionaire elites MUST have their way. Voters read between the lines and KNEW that she, who used to be on the board of Walmart had no intent of respecting American workers.

With that said, I constantly hear of high tech companies that “can’t find qualified talent” and must outsource, and yet I know of many, far too many people that are likely qualified, and yet they’ve taken odd jobs like handyman, because no one will hire them. This is ridiculous.

The economic model that outsourcing and job displacement via H1-B (or similar) programs is that of a snake eating its own tail…it allows the billionaire elite to delude themselves into thinking they’re making a financial killing, but in fact they are uniformly destroying their own economic base. I have to wonder if this won’t eventually lead to another stock market meltdown similar to that of the economic collapse related to real estate.

Trump SAYS he’s going to fix this, but he seems to have hired many of the same people that have made this sort of business common. Don’t hold your breath. This guy’s credibility is near nil. He’s concerned only with himself and his ego, and thinks he can BS people into thinking a lack of results is either not his fault or the fault of someone else. PROVE IT, TRUMP! PROVE IT!!!!

The only reason you’re the president was because of this. Bernie Sanders was the real deal, but are you????

August 10, 2017 at 2:08 pm, GC said:

Why do people not associate Trump with the billionaire elite… He is their spokesman and leader all-in-one. And if you voted for him to change the capitalist culture of work people harder and pay them less and less you are simply a gullible fool.

August 10, 2017 at 7:08 am, Billy Bob Johnson said:

The “shortage of American tech workers” mantra is a M-Y-T-H. Consulting companies just don’t want to deal with American workers. It’s easier for them to hire/fire H-1B workers. “Contract is over, you can go home now.” There can also be a built-in bias against American workers if the consulting company is based in Asia.

Consulting companies especially, but also many corporations, don’t want to hire anyone over the age of 40, even if the person is more talented and experienced than the H-1B candidates. “Old” workers are considered to be a pain in the ass.

August 10, 2017 at 8:29 am, Francois Simon said:

Agree with your comments. I have 30+ years of successful experience as a US citizen. I, now, cannot find any work since the end of my last 8 years contract back in December 2015. Must have applied around 1000 positions. I cut my salary requirement by 60% and still nothing. I have no intention to be a “pain in the ass” to anybody………

August 10, 2017 at 8:40 am, trudat said:

August 10, 2017 at 8:43 am, trudat said:

Bottomline, they pay low and that means more for management but their children shall suffer when they can’t find jobs. They pile the workers into apartments and pay them low. They can’t write documents in good English so they keep their jobs and the same system problems are reworked everyday without a proper solution.

August 10, 2017 at 4:07 pm, Jonathan (Jono) Stewart said:

Consult.

That simple.

If you have that many years in the industry, you are not going to easily get full time positions. You’re just not considered up-to-speed with modern tech (even if you are, unless you’re Martin Fowler, Uncle Bob, etc., you are going to struggle.)

But you will definitely be in favour with execs of the same or older generations – they will be the ones to pay your consulting fees.

I’m at 12 years in the industry, and already planning for my shift to business ownership (which is quite late, but: life…)

August 10, 2017 at 10:20 am, Jane Doe said:

Old workers aren’t just considered a pain in the ass – in tech specifically (Zuckerberg’s famous quote on this comes to mind), “old” workers are considered useless. Their skills not only are no longer valuable; their skills are considered laughable and actively harmful, and their old brains no longer able to absorb or even comprehend new information.

Every other bias is bad – which I’m fine with, as bias shouldn’t be a part of hiring. However, bias against people over 40 is horrendous and the norm. Yes, illegal on the surface, but impossible to prove.

As an older woman, I simply gave up finding a direct hire or contracting job in tech. I had plenty of experience in exactly the things job ads claimed they were looking for, but never heard back except for one phone call. I’ve tried shortening the resume, not putting education dates (which is pretty much a clue that the person is older), tailoring for every job, lowering salary hugely. The only interest I’ve gotten is some contracting agencies collecting resumes for bids (yeah, I’ve written those contracts where qualified resumes get put in as part of the bid, then those people “aren’t available” when the contract comes through).

I’ve been doing freelance work, but the competition there is a joke, so I don’t even bother with coding freelance unless it’s through someone I know. Freelance coding is a total race to the bottom, and that’s exactly what these contracting agencies will lend to the rest of the workplace.

Yes, this is a rant and, yes, I’m bitter. My finances are a disaster, my savings is gone, and I’m told it’s my fault in some way, as I’m simply obsolete – get used to it.

August 10, 2017 at 12:17 pm, kndman said:

I agree with you Jane Doe. I’m in the same situation as you described. I worked for the same IT company in VA for 16+ until they laid me off because of “workforce reduction”. Like yourself, I am over 40 and I have condensed my 19+ years work IT experience into 2 pages, lowered my salary, etc. I have some bites but I am still unemployed. I agree with you that as a woman and in our 40’s, we face a lot of discrimination especially due to our age and the gap years in our unemployment. There are times that I get so frustrated… I’m thinking why don’t you just hire me? I have the experience and requirements that you’re looking for. If they did, then this would eliminate the issue on my gap years.

Yes, it is difficult to prove that we are discriminated because of our age. There were many times that I wanted to know what I did wrong during the interview so that I can improve on my next one. As expected, they cannot give you feedback in fear of getting sued.

For those (talent acquisition, hiring managers, etc) that discriminated us because of our age, you wait until you get to our age. You’ll face the same stigma.

August 10, 2017 at 7:13 am, Dg said:

Nick conveniently evaded telling us what the “consultancies” paid their imported employees – their Indian salaries (roughly $10,000 a year) plus some expenses (about 1/2 if the GSA per-diem). Come tax time these H1-B holders show $10,000 as their income and therefore not only don’t they pay taxes but they qualify for Earned Income Credit = a subsidy gift courtesy American taxpayers.

We are being ripped off by those consultancies and the abuse of the H1-B and tax code.

It must end!

August 10, 2017 at 7:14 am, JR said:

I agree with the other posters. H1-B holders can go home. Americans are just as capable but companies will do anything to save a buck so they don’t want to hire Americans who just as qualified. God forbid we should pay Americans a decent wage and benefits. And, yes, age discrimination is alive and well in American companies.

August 10, 2017 at 7:46 am, John said:

More than the lower costs, HR wants people they can push around and hang the deportation ax above their heads. The problem they don’t see is they aren’t creating competitive teams of self motivated employees. Instead they have paranoid individuals willing to tow the line at any cost.

August 10, 2017 at 8:21 am, Paul said:

I was recently unemployed last year and even though i had 20+ years experience from both top companies and a top consulting firm, i found difficulty breaking thru all the noise and foreign competition to get to interviews. Once i was able to get thru the door – i was able to prove my worth. Sure, some have good skills, not necessarily better than others here though, but most lack experience, which is what makes the difference! I agree training budgets have gone out the windows for cheaper talent.

August 10, 2017 at 9:00 am, trudat said:

The recruiters are now foreign also, so they look out for their own as they make more commission when they hire their own.

August 10, 2017 at 12:25 pm, kndman said:

I agree with you. Most of the recruiters that speak to me are from Middle East. When they do leave a message, it’s difficult to understand because of their heavy accent. Also, the email that they send me are very generic. They do not even take the time to compose one. They just cut and paste. As for their tendency to hire their own, I can’t really tell. There’s no way of me knowing that the position went to someone else.

August 10, 2017 at 8:53 am, Older IT Worker said:

Companies scream for more H1B talent, then practice blatant age discrimination against older American IT talent. We are just as capable as any. H1B worker.

August 10, 2017 at 12:28 pm, kndman said:

I hear you…. I’m in the same predicament as everyone responding to this article.

August 10, 2017 at 8:59 am, Jane doe said:

H1-B is destroying the American middle class. I have been looking for a job for 6 months have 2 degrees in Technology, been in I.T. for 20 years. But I am an older woman can’t get hired any where!

August 10, 2017 at 9:06 am, ROLANDO FRUITTRELL said:

Until Nick lives the IT experience he won’t realize that soon IT will be 90% foreign from top to bottom. Corp America handed it to them on a platter so they can’t be blamed for taking it. The quality of the technology is definitely poorer as a result, and so are the unemployed Americans with their experience that sits idle.

August 10, 2017 at 9:17 am, Jason said:

The entire work atmosphere was changed. Horrible.

August 10, 2017 at 9:20 am, Tank said:

What people fail to realize is H1B is not only impacting STEM related jobs. Foreigners are replacing Human Resources, Supply Chain and other roles. I am interested if the study looks at the total compensation. For an example, do Indians and other foreigners typically put money into a 401K? If the employer matches, this impact their bottom line. Other benefits do as well. The government needs to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. I live in a community where the Indian population is quickly raising. Our police department meets regularly with the Indian community to address and answer their concerns and questions. I am a firm believer these individuals need to go home and fix the problems they created in their own country versus moving to ours. We don’t need them creating similar problems here. If they are so intelligent, they can take their overhyped and often fake degrees, start their own businesses in their home country. Globalization is not a solution.

August 10, 2017 at 9:36 am, Sam said:

I agree with most of them H1B taking most Tech jobs from American our companies and system depends on them well it’s shame for us in my opinion we should put first priority to hire Americans for that our companies and our system need to change hiring policies

August 10, 2017 at 9:39 am, Larry said:

The H1-B program is nothing more than another one of the gigantic governmental and corporate scams, cons, swindles perpetuated on the American Workers. It is the same as the so-called “guest worker” on steroids. The “guest worker” program allows hundreds of thousands of workers to swarm into the country (mainly from across the Southern border) to take jobs “Americans won’t do” (as our last two Presidents, our “representatives” and Big Media are constantly telling us). In addition to the millions of Illegal Aliens already in the country!

So we have the “guest worker” program consuming millions of jobs on the lower end of the pay scale and we have H1-B consuming millions of jobs on the upper end of the pay scale with the scraps left for the American Citizen. And we have the mass exportation of American Manufacturing by Big Corp to overseas slave labor markets.

Of course the motive for this mass insanity and economic suicide is that our Politicos get their bribes deposited in some off-shore account from Big Corp. Our Politicos get their votes by being “Mr. Nice Guy”. Big Corp and their Executives get their bloated salaries and stock options because they are increasing the “Bottom Line”.

Of course the forgotten man is the average American Citizen, who in reality is the “great flywheel of Capitalism”. We continue to vote for these cretins who then get into office and do as they damn well please for their own benefit and their Big Corp bribes.

Obviously the continuation of these policies is a recipe for disaster for America as our ancestors fought and died for and for our children and grandchildren.

And as is oft quoted

“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered.

To which we should add “…and the corrupt politicians that cow tow to them….”

Larry

August 10, 2017 at 9:41 am, Charles said:

I’ve been in the tech industry for the last 20 years and have never seen it this difficult to get a job doing what I do. Many times now when you go into the large tech companies like Verizon when you go to the headquarters you can’t tell if you are in India or whether you’re in the US I find it absolutely deplorable and appalling that American companies will look over American workers and American Kids to hire foreign workers simply because they believe it’s a little cheaper.. I find it to be unAmerican and unpatriotic and absolutely shameful when I’m merican companies are not willing to hire American workers and prepare a path for our children so that we can continue to have strong families but instead we have to look overseas an in other industries..

August 10, 2017 at 9:57 am, Steve said:

Aren’t you tired of being ripped off by our govt and big companies? Start voting on this issue and others. Pick up your phone and talk to your state and federal representatives.

August 10, 2017 at 10:07 am, Andrew Wolfe said:

The H-1B program is a sop for bad managers to bring in immigrants, work them like slaves, and cover their butts for their failures. As another commenter said, a lot of tech talent would be available if hiring managers would look at Americans over 40. Are they afraid of stagnant elderly thinking? No, the managers don’t want their technical ignorance and blithe inexperience exposed the next time they make extravagant promises to higher-ups.

August 10, 2017 at 10:15 am, REF said:

So true, but they would never admit it.

August 10, 2017 at 10:21 am, Myron Jones said:

I agree, the h1b visas are used to bring cheap labor in by the companies using the consulting companies and those that use them. This depresses the salaries of American workers and trains our offshore competition. These need to be restricted and for every h1b allowed, there should be a scholarship for an American worker (paid for by the company using the h1b)

Your comments here are great, but please also send them to your elected representative!

August 10, 2017 at 10:46 am, Steve said:

The unions don’t care because they can still collect work dues and have a globalist perspective. The politicians don’t care because there pockets are lined with foreign cash. The only way to prevent the H-1B workers from taking American jobs is to go down to the places of employment and physically stop them from entering the work place.

Then, of course, they just work from home, and by the time their visa is up they could have dropped an anchor baby. So….we are screwed.

August 10, 2017 at 10:59 am, Nina Jones said:

Why would a young person get a degree in IT when you can make as much flipping burgers? I own an IT firm and it is very hard to get work now. I get emails every day advertising hiring programming talent for as little as 9 dollars an hour.

August 10, 2017 at 11:02 am, J Lo said:

I voted for Trump hoping to see an end to H1-B. He has surrounded himself with the same sycophants that brought us this con. No significant changes will happen. FU Trump! FU Democrats and Republicans.

August 10, 2017 at 2:56 pm, SF Bay Area tech veteran said:

Don’t blame government, blame corporate America. The big corporations are the ones that jettisoned loyalty to employees and reduced labor to a commodity, all the while claiming their workers are their most important resource. Their loyalty is to shareholders, they say (or maybe just to their boards of directors and top execs). With the decline of unions, government is the only partner we have to correct some of these abuses and force reform. We can also call out these bad corporate actors, boycott their products and make them do the perp walk, metaphorically speaking. If it became fashionable to be considered green, I don’t see why it can’t become fashionable to treat employees with humanity and not as throwaways. Same goes for the recruiting agencies that act as HR proxies and enablers for the corporations in exploiting workers.

August 10, 2017 at 11:31 am, Rich said:

What’s wrong with this picture. We Americans pay taxes to fund our government, who in turn gives preferential treatment to foreign non-taxpaying individuals. As taxpaying Americans, we should come first not last!.

August 10, 2017 at 11:31 am, Rudi said:

As one H1B guy told me once ” American are lazy to work , That is why we are here”. May be we have deserved to hear something like this when we let them in.
I am a U.S. citizen with masters degree and permanently learning and reading about new technology and out of work since last year. I hope the witch hunt soon ends and President Trump can deliver his campaign promis soon.

August 10, 2017 at 11:35 am, John said:

No one is talking about the loophole L1 Visa, it’s a blanket visa unlimited. They flood the workers using Visa and Pay lower salary to replace American workers.

August 10, 2017 at 11:37 am, Bpf53 said:

H1B’s should be ended – one big problem American students forced to take unless courses that have nothing to do with their degree. Many Nations schools center all studies on the course desired so they finish earlier with less debt. All companies should be pressed to hire American students 1st… this also will keep our Tech at home longer preventing these H1B’ers from taking our inventions back to their own Nations…

August 10, 2017 at 11:43 am, Steve said:

Also, these foreign nationals have access to all your data. Since sysadmins have administrative rights on all the computers they work with and physical access, they have all your information. Anything you do on a computer, they have access to it. Your work/personal emails, especially if your email account is in ‘The Cloud’, they have access to it. They have your banking information, mortgage information, education information, in many/most cases tax information. There is nothing they do not know about you. And you know nothing about them. The only knowledge their employers really care about is that they are cheaper than you.
And they are developing these computer systems, so they design their privileged access deep into the systems they implement.
You have no defense against them, except to reduce your digital footprint to nothing. Don’t use a smart phone, don’t use a computer, and don’t use cell phone.
So, who governs you. Who represents you in government. Who protects you. It is the foreign workers. All the ‘fake news’ truly is fake news. The media class do not care about you.

August 10, 2017 at 11:52 am, Brad said:

The tech companies are just providing you BS with the explanations for needing H1B people. I worked at 1 company that laid off the American workers so they can outsource to Wipro with all India workers. You train the H1B people and then loose you job. This is not what H1B was meant to be used for. It is terrible that “H-1B program: visas overwhelmingly go to IT consultancy and outsourcing companies”. I also worked for another Tech firm seems to have layoffs at least once a year, they layoff the American working, keep the H1B visa workers and then within 6 months hire more H1B people to fill the vacant positions. Trump needs to act on his words and stop this H1B visa BS. We need to stop outsourcing to India and other countries.

August 10, 2017 at 11:58 am, Onthe Wall said:

They have taken MY MAINFRAME PROGRAMMER/ANALYST CONSULTING JOB SINCE THE FIRST QUARTER OF 2001 THROUGH NOV 2007 when I got a break getting a job as a MAINFRAME PROGRAMMER/ANALYST EMPLOYEE, but wait JANUARY 9, 2009 LOST THAT JOB TO THE SAME PEOPLE. Haven’t been able to get a programming job since then till this very day. The bright side is we no longer have to worry about H1B VISA people taking our jobs, now the indian/pakistan or whoever just take the job away US over the internet. With all my spare time I watch a lot of documentaries about ANIMALS love to watch about the ALLIGATORS EATING indians/pakistanis, I ROOT FOR THE ALLIGATORS!

August 10, 2017 at 12:43 pm, Fred Astaire said:

Who thinks $132K is a good wage in the Bay Area?

H1B is all about providing little brown slaves for the Tech plantations. The system is like Crack, and Tech companies are addicts.

August 10, 2017 at 1:37 pm, Steve said:

The only way to change this is to change the laws to not allow any foreign worker programs for high tech. The law also needs to assert that the executive leadership of a company will be subject to a felony for importing foreign workers. Then they need to assign the appropriate law enforcement agency the task of rounding up the offenders and put them in jail without bail. The company then needs to go into government receivership to correct the problem. In government receivership, the board of directors would need to be suspended. All of this can be done in pretty short order but the displaced workers need to request it from the government. No one as made any specific request for these laws and actions. Without requesting them, this problem will not go away.

August 10, 2017 at 4:14 pm, SF Bay Area tech veteran said:

Hey Fred,
Apparently many of the commenters in this thread, including the ones in the Bay Area, would be happy with that salary or with full-time employment status…

August 10, 2017 at 1:04 pm, Paul said:

I like many other IT workers over 50 am unemployed – now 2.5 years. It is not surprising in the least as the level of so called “professionalism” has walked out the door with the recruiting aspect of the industry. The age discrimination is rampant and obvious. Even supposed social platforms for business connections like LinkedIn have become something of a joke (at least for IT folks).

What I really see going on is that many US businesses have decided to morph the H-1B into a kind of indentured servant program, with most of the Indian recruitment firms along for the ride as carpetbaggers. It is sad and very sorry state of affairs. This needs to be stopped but will not happen with the joke we have as a President as there will be no change.

I am not sure if the 1% who own the corporations have done the math here… If you disenfranchise a large portion of the population out of work, who will be buying your goods and services when they have no money? This is a house of cards destined to fall.

And to the current Administration I have this to say: American First?

How about American Last…

August 10, 2017 at 1:29 pm, J.R. said:

Disney didn’t replace its work force because it was more expensive, they did it because it was CHEAPER, pure and simple.

Trump promised to fix the and so far we’ve gotten absolutely nothing. In fact, his resorts, just last week, requested 300 new H2B visas. Apparently they are jobs Americans don’t want.

August 10, 2017 at 1:39 pm, Steve said:

August 10, 2017 at 1:49 pm, Ali said:

As if the tech companies don’t have enough money for American workers. What is sad about this program is that you have foreigners who come over and then send all this money back home. Some invest in America but the majority I have met have no interest in staying here, they’re just in it for the money.

August 10, 2017 at 1:59 pm, John H said:

As another echo to previous posts: In 2013, A well known Property & Casualty insurance company replaced my team of twelve with an Indian outsource company’s employees, more than half of whom were H1B visa holders. We had to interview them (mostly by phone) and then train them in order to be guaranteed a severance package (which lost me, personally, half a year’s earnings).
I felt cooerced into accepting some very poor candidates; then the consulting company’s manager complained that I had failed to train their people in the absolute basic industry techniques of our jobs.
IT shortage? GIVE ME A BREAK!

August 10, 2017 at 2:24 pm, Nate the Engineer said:

Why don’t we see a flood of mass stamped tird world replacements for lawyers, DMV workers, public sector sloths and the like coming in on H or L visas? I have personally seen entire engineering departments in multiple industries cleared out of every single American…minorities included…so the entire function could be insourced to TATA and that part of the company restaffed with tird worlders. This has to do with our unwillingness to seek political power in an increasingly socialist economy that allocates more along lines of political power and less by market forces. This is our fault. The lawyers and public sector have taken over and in the process of reallocating the US wealth from the producers of wealth to those with their hands on the valves that control the flow of the mothers milk of socialism, we are being cut out of the process and starved out of existence. There is an organization starting up called “National Association of Technicians and Engineers” to fight back. They are just starting and when I last looked, the website was not yet functioning.

August 10, 2017 at 3:06 pm, Silicon Valley Hi-Tech said:

“in an increasingly socialist economy that allocates more along lines of political power and less by market forces. ”
You got it wrong, it is market forces, unfettered by regulation which pushes companies to hire the cheapest workers available.
Medical doctors do better, as they have stringent regulations who can practice. If the U.S. let anybody in and -after just a board exam for quality control – practice medicine, medical costs would drop to the average of other developed nations (which is about half of U.S. cost).

August 10, 2017 at 2:29 pm, Onthe Wall said:

I don’t think the H1B visa’s are much of a problem. What I for sure know is THEY DON’T NEED TO BRING THE WORKERS OVER HERE ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS SIGN TO THE COMPANIES INTRANET SITE VIA THE INTERNET AND JUST START TO WORK, BINGO, THEY HAVE OUR JOBS. So far I have lost 3 different jobs I worked at due to the outsourcing. I have saved about 1/2 the application e-mails I have submitted since 01/2010, I have over 2,000 emails saved for applications I put in for. No one has said it yet but before the companies are allowed to hire H1B visas they have to prove they cannot find that expertise in The USA. I have seen some companies and some city or state government job advertisements where the ASSHOLES ARE REQUESTING A TOTAL OF OVER 84 YEARS EXPERIENCE, ie 60 months mainframe, 60 months mainframe jcl, with net, c++, ruby, there is nobody in the world who has that type of background, so they cant find someone local bingo right to the dot heads. They spell a little more on advertisement and with no takers right back to outsourcing. Not to make light of this situation look on the internet for a movie titled ‘OUTSOURCED’ it’s not about us IT people but the same shit.

August 10, 2017 at 2:31 pm, Paul Allen said:

BINGO!

August 10, 2017 at 5:11 pm, Michael said:

I’m not sure I follow some of the verbiage in your post, but the statement is clear. I too can tell you that the visa program(s) have been thrown in my face, if not indirectly, at times DIRECTLY, and it is HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE. I want to scream, I want to shoot someone, if that’s what it takes to defend against this sort of economic tyranny. Civil war anyone? It’s coming, if it isn’t already here. I told one CEO during an interview process that it was HIGHLY IRREGULAR and INAPPROPRIATE for your exiting employee to mention his visa sponsorship to me during the interview cycle. As if I were a sympathetic ear. No, as far as I’m concerned he and his visa is part of the problem. And there wasn’t anything discussed/reviewed during that interview that I wasn’t perfectly capable of handling that he was here doing. So-called “EOE/AA”? What a joke…

August 10, 2017 at 3:00 pm, Silicon Valley Hi-Tech said:

Joe Vacca, ‘CMO’ of Revature: “Universities cannot adjust to the rapid changes that are occurring in technology,”
That is not true. All University/College Computer Science programs I know of offer courses in whatever the latest fashion is (machine learning,…) Does he imply that foreign universities react faster to Silicon Valley’s newest trends?–
J. Vacca: “the private sector must bridge that gap and train the next generation of U.S. technology workers.” The private sector does not want to train, they want workers with exactly the skills for a given software package.
If they did, they could just retrain their existing older workers, or hire existing experienced workers.

J. Vacca: “we do not have enough technology workers” During my 40-years career in high-tech, this has _never_ been true. And there is a well-known remedy, taught in Economics 101: Offer higher wages, and people will flock to your company. Otherwise, hire bright people, and train them!

August 10, 2017 at 3:35 pm, Steve said:

OK. Here is the basics of a law that Executive and Legislative bodies of the USA Federal Government should enact immediately. They need to return from vacation and work on this now.

The law should state:
The intention of this law is to stop and reverse the wholesale removal of American workers from the workforce and replace them with foreign workers. In the past 20 years, we have seen 35% of the wages and wealth of American middle class workers moved overseas. This has devastated not only the individuals and families but also the government’s ability to collect taxes and has created a undue burden on the government to supply basic medical, housing, and life-sustaining services to large swaths of the American population. This has also reduced the number of people who can start and sustain a family.
Policy Statement: No American company will outsource jobs to foreign nationals.
Penalties: The companies who do not comply will be put into receivership; the C-Suite will be jailed for multiple felonies. Because of the seriousness of this situation, there will be no bail set.
Remediation: Once in receivership, the company will be directed to rehire American workers, provide a training program for any unskilled workers they need to hire, and will have a new executive staff assigned from the remaining workers. The transition from foreign workers to domestic workers will take no more than one year from the date of receivership is initially executed.
Definitions:
American Company – Headquartered in the United States. This includes, but not limited to, companies whose primary executive level workers ie CEO, CFO, CIO, and Board of Directors is headquartered in the USA. Where a company stores its money or processes its monetary transactions will not be taken into consideration.
Foreign National – persons born in another country other than the United States of America.

August 10, 2017 at 3:36 pm, Steve said:

That was easy. Just one morning of work. Time for lunch.

August 10, 2017 at 4:08 pm, Steve said:

You can copy and paste the above and send it to the White House at:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact and click the email icon on the right sidebar.

August 10, 2017 at 5:04 pm, Michael said:

It’s not question of “educational pipeline.” The vast majority of foreign “skilled” workers have “degrees” that aren’t worth the paper they are printed on. This is a deliberate effort by so-called “policy makers” to put U.S. workers out of work. Plain and simple. I say the sooner these foreigners go home, whether voluntarily or by force, the better, so we can restore this country to greatness.

August 10, 2017 at 6:38 pm, John Doe said:

In bay area, it’s well-known lots of high tech companies are all for Indians – Lab126 (Amazon), eBay, Workforce, to name a few. You walk in the building, you’d have thought you are in India.
They only hire their own – they fake the resume to pass the HR, they send in scouts to bring out the interview questions for the chosen one to prepare for, the Indian manager asked impossible questions to rule out other non-Indian candidates, etc.

August 10, 2017 at 7:01 pm, Fred Astaire said:

If you are a developer working at Apple/Google in the Bay Area making $130k+, thinking you’re doing alright, then tell it to your 5 roommates your sharing your apt with as you walk to the Indian restaurant on the corner.

I work with 95% H1B’s, and they make half what I do because they are scared. They are scared because of the H1B system that turns them into slaves. And Indians are worst slavers I’ve ever seen, having no moral regret over abusing (lying, cheating) their fellow man.

August 10, 2017 at 9:00 pm, Mark Fullilove said:

Articles like this and the comments made is why Trump was elected. He was elected to fix the H1b visa problems and get those American in the comments section back to work in the tech jobs we love.

August 11, 2017 at 2:35 pm, Michael said:

I don’t disagree; I want him to succeed in that area, and so many more, that we desperately need. However, it doesn’t help with his Homeland Security INCREASES the number of HNX alphanumeric soup visa program numbers. And a CONGRESS that simply WILL NOT do it because they DON’T WANT TO! And a judicial branch that has been co-opted by the PROGRESSIVE LEFT SOCIALIST NAZI SCUM to shoot it down. This is all going to come to a head one way or another.

August 11, 2017 at 7:24 pm, John Hillman said:

Yup – progressive – not irrational regression.

August 11, 2017 at 8:11 pm, Michael said:

PROGS is another way of saying SOCIALIST, COMMUNIST, STATIST. That’s NEVER a good thing anywhere anytime it’s been tried in history.

August 10, 2017 at 9:33 pm, Milly said:

I say PROVE IT. There was an investigation a few years ago that showed a large tech firm in the state of Washington REPORTED to USCIS one salary BUT paid SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER salaries to the H1b workers they had.
The H1b program is NOT AUDITED properly and the REPORTED salary is NOT guaranteed to be correct.

August 11, 2017 at 12:44 pm, Steve said:

Those Americans who were sacked and said they needed to train their H1B replacements in order to get their severance packages……I think the wisest move at that point would have been to refuse to do the training. That severance package delays your ability to draw unemployment insurance until you’ve used up all the cash in the severance package.

August 11, 2017 at 12:50 pm, April said:

That happened in our place. For 6-9 month people trained replacement and they DID collect unemployment AND received severance. Maybe depends on the state. NJ it was alliwed

August 11, 2017 at 5:11 pm, Emn said:

Dice just added a new article, how H1Bs have been great for everyone.

August 11, 2017 at 6:54 pm, Michael said:

I’ll have to see for myself, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least. TPTB are doing anything and everything they can to hold onto the bold faced lies and propaganda they’ve been fomenting.

August 11, 2017 at 9:24 pm, Carrie said:

I tell everyone: I can’t get an American tech job because I was born in the wrong country (US born and raised). I’m very logical, I’m a good debugger, I have worked with many programming languages and my passion has always been programming. The problem with most H-1B visa workers is that their passion is not programming. They major in IT because some family member told them it will pay well, but they don’t always have the aptitude for it. Many are not logical or good at debugging. I feel I can outperform 90% of the H-1B visa workers. They should not have MY American job!
Like John, I also was paid a bonus to train an H-1B worker to take my job. I’m now working on the ‘Business’ side instead of ‘IT’. I have to work with H-1B IT workers and I tell them how to fix their problems. I’m making 70% of what I made 10 years ago. It’s very disheartening and unfair. I’m hoping Trump does something soon.
I also agree with Barb; young American will not consider going into a technology careers, knowing that the jobs are being filled by foreign workers. It’s a vicious cycle: we keep losing more and more potential US tech workers by hiring H-1B visa workers.

August 11, 2017 at 10:02 pm, AmericaLikesMath-NOT said:

Of course you need H1Bs…Saying this country produce enough engineers is a bloody joke..Most students in this country cant even do simple arithmetic let alone write a line of code! Every engineering course in most universities today are filled with Indians/Chinese/Koreans and probably 2-3 black guys and probably 1 white guy who doesnt give a [expletive] if he gets a C grade. Stop with these [expletive] nonsense of “Make in America” – All those so called students who are collecting huge debts are more interesting to study “music production, basket weaving, communications, Poetry and what other [expletive] subjects you can think off…This country needs engineers and Asians have an engineering structure in place better than this country can even imagine – Try to influence kids to study math and science and maybe things will change in the future – pay your teachers! All this Make America Propaganda [expletive] doesnt suit us – this country’s tech infrastructure was made on the minds of immigrants, dont u people ever forget that!

August 12, 2017 at 3:25 pm, Emn said:

Snippets from “Guestworkers in the high-skill U.S. labor market”, EPI.org

* For every two students that U.S. colleges graduate with STEM degrees, only one is hired into a STEM job.
* In computer and information science and in engineering, U.S. colleges graduate 50 percent more students than are hired into those fields each year; of the computer science graduates not entering the IT workforce, 32 percent say it is because IT jobs are unavailable, and 53 percent say they found better job opportunities outside of IT occupations. These responses suggest that the supply of graduates is substantially larger than the demand for them in industry.
* Wages have remained flat, with real wages hovering around their late 1990s levels.
* The annual inflows of guestworkers amount to one-third to one-half the number of all new IT job holders.

August 12, 2017 at 3:33 pm, Emn said:

Snippet from the report “Top 10 H-1B employers are all IT offshore outsourcing firms, costing U.S. workers tens of thousands of jobs”, Economic Policy Institute (EPI.org):

“Why do IT offshore outsourcing firms dominate the H-1B program? The answer is simple. It is extraordinarily profitable to replace, or substitute for, American workers with H-1B guestworkers. Thanks to the legal and regulatory framework of the H-1B visa, H-1B workers can legally paid much less than similarly situated Americans. In fact, sometimes H-1B workers are 40 percent cheaper than Americans, and as an additional bonus to employers, H-1B workers are unlikely to complain about substandard wages and working conditions since the work visa is controlled by the employer. That makes H-1B workers vulnerable—if they speak out they might be terminated—which means they’ll have to immediately depart from the United States or else become undocumented.
The offshore outsourcing business model emerged in the early 2000s, completely disrupting the IT services sector. And the exploitation of H-1B guestworker program is at the core of the model.”

For comprehensive reports about the entire issue, just go to the website EPI.org, search for H1B or guest worker visa, and you’ll be blown away by the data, facts, figures.

August 12, 2017 at 3:54 pm, April said:

Are we all venting to eash other or we are taking action and sending our concerns to the email provided in this post? We need to speak up. Long overdue and we need to share each and every story from this post to politicians who WE elected

August 13, 2017 at 12:43 am, shan var said:

yes, end the outsourcing if really patriot about this country

August 12, 2017 at 4:35 pm, Rasheed Khatri said:

There is one huge issue apart from Universities charging heavy or creating graduates of useless degrees.
If there is an Indian present in an interview panel, or recruiting agency, he would make sure an Indian housewife with no IT degree will get job first before any highly qualified candidate. You can see black women, or people from many different races in universities, or programming courses. But you do not see any of them working in actual IT department.
A highly qualified Pakistani, whether with tons of experience or having PhD degree don’t stand a chance if there is an Indian there in recruiting agency, or at an interview panel. In 1990s, you would see a ratio of 5 Pakistanis to 200 Indians in workforce. Now you will only see Indians, not a single Pakistani. The ones that are still there, do lose job eventually because Indians make it happen the first chance they get.

I am not making this up. H1B have no country-specific limits. 60% of it is taken by Indians. Assuming that other countries do not have highly qualified people is ridiculous. In the job market, these Indians double dip H1B visa by instantly trying to get their spouse a job whether she/he have IT degree or not. How many other people do that and actually have close to 100% success rate?

And since Green card does have country-specific limits, you can see the contrast. Previously in 1990s and even in 2000s, Pakistanis used to have a wait for 3 to 5 years. Now since majority of Pakistani quota gets unclaimed because they didn’t get H1B in first place, EB2 and even EB3 for Pakistanis is almost current. (Check it, EB3 is current for ROW. when did it ever happen before?)

The reformation is absolutely needed. And these Indians in staffing agencies and interview panels need to be the first ones to be grilled for trying to get rid of all the competition.

August 12, 2017 at 6:57 pm, Jonas said:

Americans are lazy AF, too comfy to look for jobs, don’t want to move to ogher states, …, blah blah blah. When I was in the states working for a research organization, no ‘muricans applied for at least 10 to 20 positions, this was because mainly the workplace is located in a remote town.

So yeah, stop bitchin’ around.