Dice Report: Gender Plays No Role in Tech Pay

shutterstock_284519087

Gender plays no role in compensation for technology professionals. That statement may seem shocking, however according to an analysis of Dice’s annual salary survey data of more than 16,000 tech professionals, when comparing equal education levels, years of technical experience and job title, no gap exists. What does still exist is a position gap as researched in earlier years.

2016-03-Dice-Report-graphic-for-media-centerWhen it comes to bonuses, compensation satisfaction, primary motivators and career concerns, all of which greatly impact overall job satisfaction and career growth, there are clear differences by gender.

Bonuses: Some 38 percent of men received a bonus in 2015, compared to 34 percent for women—relatively close, in other words. The average bonus for men was $10,420; for women, it was $8,899. On the surface it appears there’s a divide, but control for those factors mentioned earlier and the gap disappears.

Compensation satisfaction: Almost 54 percent of men expressed satisfaction with compensation in their current position, while 51 percent of women were satisfied with their salaries.

It’s clear that, in many ways, men and women in technology share the same concerns, receive bonuses, and are satisfied with their compensation. But employers are offering women more options like flexible work hours or the ability to telecommute versus men who are more offered compensation as a motivator. Whether this is based on conversations women are having with their managers or something else is unknown.

This slight variance in motivators serves as a reminder that each professional is different and responds to a range of incentives. Beyond providing competitive compensation, employers must look at other key drivers such as challenging assignments and flexibility with work hours and location.

Managers looking to hire and retain top talent should gain a better understanding of what drives their tech talent, regardless of gender.

Image Credit: Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock.com

Comments

8 Responses to “Dice Report: Gender Plays No Role in Tech Pay”

March 03, 2016 at 4:29 pm, John said:

It’s almost as if the gender gap only exists when comparing low-paying jobs women do to high-paying jobs men do.

March 03, 2016 at 5:11 pm, George said:

It’s almost as if gender wage disparity is more than just the single metric of average salary…

March 03, 2016 at 5:13 pm, George said:

It’s almost as if the problem of gender pay disparity is more than the single metric of average salary…

March 03, 2016 at 8:38 pm, Jake said:

It’s almost as if employers are biased toward giving high-paying jobs to men.

March 05, 2016 at 11:50 am, Jane said:

Very questionable.

March 05, 2016 at 2:32 pm, Violet Weed GeekiestWoman on Twitter said:

tHIS ARTICLE IS TOTAL BALONEY.
Women DO get paid LESS than men, unless you are talking about H1Bs who all make dirt pay but don’t care because they are FREE of their stinkin’ low-life-quality third-world countries. They DARE not complain about pay. THAT IS THE GOAL of BILL GATES/Microsoft and other technology corporation owners.
But in reality Women do make less money than men, however the reason, in 2016, is entirely the FAULT OF WOMEN.

Most women will NOT ASK FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVE THEY DESERVE. How do you think MEN get higher pay?
I learned that lessons decades ago when I hired a friend to work on a team that I was managing. He told me later he was making 12/hr (this was in the early 80s).
I WAS THE MANAGER AND I WAS MAKING 10 BUCKS AN HOUR.
I asked him, “How did you get 12 bucks an hour?” He looked at me for a puzzled moment, then softly said “I asked for it.”
That night at home I stared into the mirror repeating over and mover “I want 14 bucks an hour”. The next day I walked into MY manager’s office and repeated it again. I walked out with FIFTEEN bucks an hour.
NEVER EVER AGAIN DID I MAKE LESS MONEY THAN A MAN; IN FACT FROM THEN ON, I MADE EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS WORTH, AND it was ALWAYS more than a man in the same role same expertise.
WOMEN: you want more pay? First, be WORTH more pay, then second, DO WHAT MEN DO>>>ASK FOR MORE PAY.
Problem fixed.

March 07, 2016 at 12:38 pm, Steve Levy said:

By aggregating the data, rather than segmenting by level, location, etc. you’re obfuscating the information that can be gleaned from the data.

March 09, 2016 at 7:13 am, Bonedagger said:

These articles – proving that there’s no sexism against women in the workplace; quite the reverse, in fact – do not address the bigger issue whereby women, as a demographic, earn the same or MORE than men for less work. Women take home more money for what work they do, work less throughout their lives, they pay proportionately less tax for the work, are afforded vastly more public benefits and spend, on average, 90% more than they earn. Men get to spend around 40% of their own earnings. Over 80% of public spending is controlled by women. Women also dominate colossally in public sector work and almost all of the powerful “gatekeeper” roles across all sectors. Women are privileged in every possible way.