The White House’s New Plan for Hiring Tech Pros

shutterstock_Orhan Cam

If you’re a tech pro—or aspire to become one—President Obama wants to find you a job.

The White House has announced the “TechHire initiative,” which will supposedly fill jobs in everything from software development and network administration to cybersecurity. In order to fill those jobs, the initiative will offer a combination of investment and job placement, with a focus on underserved communities. Here’s the proposal:

$100 Million in ‘Federal Investments’

That money will go to training and recruiting workers for in-demand technology fields. “The Administration will launch a $100 million H-1B grant competition by the Department of Labor,” read the White House’s press release, “to support innovative approaches to training and successfully employing low-skill individuals.” That training will include work-based learning programs and registered apprenticeships.

Community Collaboration

Some 21 regions across the country will work with one another to recruit and place applicants in some 120,000 open technology jobs, in conjunction with “300 employer partners.” Those regions include:

Louisville
New York City
Philadelphia
Delaware
City of Kearney and Buffalo County, Neb.
Colorado
Rochester
Detroit
San Francisco
Albuquerque
Chattanooga
Portland

Each region will supposedly use sophisticated data analytics to determine the most in-demand skills among local employers, and work with those employers to hire from “both traditional and nontraditional training programs.” These programs will rely on coding boot camps and online courses to accelerate training, and encourage interactions between employers and candidates via meetups and co-working spaces. In New York City, for example, companies such as Google and Facebook will work to connect students from the City University of New York (CUNY) with internships at local companies.

Private Sector

Under the terms of the announced plan, private companies will provide free online training and coding boot camps for low-income and “underserved Americans.” The White House claims that national organizations “are committing to work with interested cities to share job and skills information, job-matching tools, and other resources.” For example, Dev Bootcamp, Hack Reactor, Microsoft, Treehouse Island, and Udacity are all offering free or discounted training for underserved communities.

However the White House’s initiative pans out, one thing is clear: For those tech pros with the necessary skills, the salaries can be very good indeed. Check out the latest technology jobs.

Related Articles

Upload Your ResumeEmployers want candidates like you. Upload your resume. Show them you’re awesome.

Image: Orhan Cam/Shutterstock.com

Comments

12 Responses to “The White House’s New Plan for Hiring Tech Pros”

March 09, 2015 at 2:38 pm, mike said:

Sure give the H1-B candidates good paying jobs. What about the people on unemployment? Or the people who want to better themselves instead of working 2 part-time jobs at minimum wage.How are Americans suppose to pay bills or taxes if they have low paying jobs or part-time jobs.

March 09, 2015 at 5:36 pm, Dan said:

Will the offshore market for H1B and L1 visas finally come to a stop?? That would be quite helpful.

March 09, 2015 at 9:49 pm, Singh said:

What they are saying is fee will be collected by employer who hire h1 and use funds for intiative

March 09, 2015 at 9:52 pm, Steve said:

Portland? Which Portland? Not that I am effected by the answer, but there is more than one.

Nothing in the program would seem to help me, as I am not in a state covered by one of the 21 regions. More of the typical too little too late from this administration.

March 10, 2015 at 9:44 am, goldDustSwGuyUnemployed said:

Hey, I am a ‘like gold dust’ very experienced sw engineer with hw, sw, dsp, web, mobile (completely up to date professional experience) and excellent refs… so why has it taken already more than 2 months of 10+ applications per day to land a job???? I can give a hint… every employer and recruiter focuses on an utterly ridiculous level of ridiculous useless specificity akin to asking a race car driver ‘have you driven a yellow car for 2 years?’ or ‘what is the VIN number of your current personal vehicle?’… oh and I’m also over 50.

March 10, 2015 at 9:44 am, Marcus said:

What a joke, the federal government recruiters would not even hire someone who graduated from a boot-camp not any of the programs they fund. Why doesn’t the federal government pilot the program first by taking that $100 million and hiring people for IT jobs they have open. As a veteran I was able to go to a community college and earn CompTIA Network+ certification, I also interned at a local school district that summer installing and trouble shooting PC and network problems after that experience I thought I was on my way to well paying job. 9 months later I’m still looking for that well paying job.
What I’ve found is that even jobs for the Federal government required 3 to 5 years of experience and a Bachelor’s in Information technology or Computer Science not a boot camp or Certification.
In fact I’ve even seen some in which they want you to have a Phd if don’t have the requisite years of experience working for someone else. The government should lead by example and I hire entry level certified IT Pro because apparently no one else will.

March 10, 2015 at 10:33 am, wageSlave said:

Economics 101, price theory. If you want to increase the number of tech workers, then make it a law that tech employers have to pay a rate above the marginal rate (living expenses + past education costs + continuing education costs) and the market will flood with applicants. As long as the rate is maintained within the marginal rate there will be, by definition, a shortage. This policy will fail to produce the results intended unless flooding the market with the unwitting is the intent.

March 11, 2015 at 10:05 am, UNDERTOE said:

Since I have been in this field, I have rarely been paid a decent wage, one that would make it worth all of the educational costs, time, and stress. It seems like the overall goal is to keep wages down, and get the tech for as close to free as possible. For some reason, organizations like to jerk their IT and SW people around, and are constantly finding ways to make them want to leave the industry. I have had one well paying job and, even then, a new manager came in and tried to cut wages. I have been given plaques and awards, but the one award I would really love is better pay and some job stability. This industry will not find relief from the shortage of people until they realize that the solution is to pay decent wages and stop externalizing costs onto the workers themselves.

March 11, 2015 at 3:32 pm, Joseph I. Szweda said:

Cyber security and the White House? Initiative? Don’t get me started on that…

March 12, 2015 at 10:54 am, Nightcrawler said:

——private companies will provide free online training and coding boot camps for low-income and “underserved Americans.” ———-

Okay, if PRIVATE companies are the ones conducting the training, this MIGHT work. At least these employers will build the training around the skills that they actually want, while the gov’t would build programs around what they THINK employers want.

I notice that Delaware is one of the states listed. I sincerely hope this works, because this area desperately needs good jobs. Right now, the No. 1 industry in this state is fast food. Half the residents are on some form of public assistance. Some people think that raising the minimum wage is the answer, but it’s not. The way to reduce the welfare rolls is to create jobs in this area that are worth more than ~$8.00/hour. I didn’t attend college and get two master’s degrees (an MBA, and an MS in MIS, which I’m three classes away from) so I could go work at McDonald’s or the mall.

March 12, 2015 at 11:09 am, Mike said:

As an I.T. person with over 10 years of experience, working with some of the big name companies, I agree with some of the other posts here. Companies are paying too low of wages, unless you are an engineer or have a very specialized skill. I actually quit HP, because I could not afford to work for them. I have turned down jobs, because I could not afford to survive on the low wages. I am starting a good paying engineer contract soon, but it’s just that, a contract, with no benefits. I am not making house payments or living an extravagant lifestyle by any means. Most companies want I.T. works at dirt cheap wages….wages to low for people to live off of. Case in point, I have seen dog walking jobs that pay more per hour, than some hardware I.T. jobs. This is in the San Francisco Bay area. There is no shortage of I.T. professionals, period. There are a shortage of I.T. professionals, who can afford to work in the I.T. field, with the meager pay checks that most companies are trying to hand out. Why do you think companies want H1B visas so bad, while at the same time laying American I.T. workers off? Look it up on Google. I.T. has always been the unwanted stepchild in most companies.

March 14, 2015 at 5:05 pm, Fred Bosick said:

DICE, please wake up and actually *read* the replies to this and other articles you post.”News” posts like this are actually insulting.

There is *no* shortage of US citizen IT professionals!

Read the guy’s reply from SF, CA. The sad thing is that HP once employed Carly Fiorina, and we all know how that worked out. Now Meg Whitman who, upon first being hired, went to India just to tell the employees there(not contractors!) that they won’t be laid off.

A whole lot of people are being paid to be ignorant, or even stupid.