More Tech Pros Earning Six Figures Than Ever

Chart: Percentage of Tech Pros Earning 6 Figures

Chart: Percentage of Tech Pros Earning 6 Figures

The number of technology professionals earning six-figure salaries has increased for the sixth year in a row, according to new data from Dice.

Some 32 percent of full-time tech pros took home more than $100,000 in 2013, according to the findings, up from 30 percent in 2012 and 26 percent in 2011. For contractors, the data is even better: In 2013, a staggering 54 percent of them earned more than $100,000 a year, up from 51 percent the previous year and 50 percent in 2011. Here’s the full breakdown:

Full Time, Percent Earning $100k or More:

2010: 23%
2011: 26%
2012: 30%
2013: 32%

Contractors, Percent Earning $100k or More:

2010: 45%
2011: 50%
2012: 51%
2013: 54%

The graph at the top of this page combines the results from full-time employees and contractors—in other words, all the tech professionals out there.

“Technology is now driving the customer experience for companies,” said Shravan Goli, president of Dice. “The more technology professionals can impact the financial performance of a company, the more they deserve to be paid.” Six-figure salaries are “table stakes,” he added, for any firm that wants to attract the right software engineers, designers, and data professionals: “We see it every day on Dice—companies from every industry are pulling out all the stops to recruit talent that enables them to become truly tech-powered companies.”

According to Fortune, more companies have turned to tech contractors over the past few years, expanding the opportunities for that segment—provided the contractors themselves have the right skillsets.

Dice’s previous analysis of data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics found that the average hourly salary for tech consultants hit $42.17 in February, the latest all-time high for a job segment that’s enjoyed steady gains in monetary rewards over the past several years. (In 2006, the average tech consultant earned $36-$37 per hour, a number that rose in fits and starts to $40 before gusting up to $42.) Tech consultants are working an average of 38.8 hours per week, also a high.

Related Stories

Comments

13 Responses to “More Tech Pros Earning Six Figures Than Ever”

April 22, 2014 at 12:55 am, Emilov said:

Just curious why so many companies won’t send a “thank you” note, when one applies for a job and salaries are going up so dramatically…

April 22, 2014 at 11:37 am, Outsourced Sam said:

Good thing our beloved Senate (D) added another 85,000 ‘HIGHLY SKILLED compared to American’s into our work force so we can get these figures down to around ‘income inequality’ ranges.

April 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm, enmukee said:

I am an H1B and make around $200,000 a year as a software architect. Most if not all of the H1B colleagues I have make much more than $100,000 a year, which I do not even consider a decent salary for someone with more than 4 years of experience in a recent technology. To support me and my projects, my organization had to hire a QA engineer, a business analyst and a junior engineer, so hiring competent skilled workers creates more jobs is not a myth.

April 24, 2014 at 11:46 am, Bob Johnson said:

The reason we (meaning American workers) often respond as Outsourced Sam does, is that without the H-1B visa program, an American would be in your position, and the other positions would still exist. Even better for American workers. There is more than enough American talent in the U.S. to not have to import it from India.

April 25, 2014 at 4:32 pm, Charles said:

I agree… what a shame someone like Mr Outsourced Sam come to us saying he is responsible for creating more positions to Americans.
Make me sick to see this kind of comment when I have 29 years in IT and don’t make that much, not eve half of it. H1B’s should be here to teach us and not to get our jobs.

April 24, 2014 at 8:46 pm, mark said:

Show Proof or its just the same puffery we see in most H1b visa resumes!

April 24, 2014 at 8:31 am, TommyMac said:

Laughs.. I have 20+ years in systems and development, and the past 10 in SQL/SSIS. I don’t need more skill as much as I need self confidence training. lol, When I look at what I can do, it seems normal and not so out of the ordinary but then again, I am immersed in my peers. I need to get better at understanding my business impact to the bottom line. (or get enough guts to go full time contractor/consultant) These numbers are crazy..

April 24, 2014 at 2:32 pm, JettHill said:

You need to read this… I know exactly how you feel.

April 24, 2014 at 9:23 am, 14CAM said:

I don’t get why this should be big news. I know many people who do not have bachelors degrees who make anywhere from 50k – 75k so why is it big news that software engineers and architects with years of experience in IT make over 100k?

April 24, 2014 at 10:08 am, rich said:

Based on those numbers we see (using the combined#s)…
08 to 09 -> 4% increase.
09 to 10 -> 1% increase
10 to 11 -> 0% increase
11 to 12 -> 5% increase (the only decent number in the bunch.)
12 to 13 -> 2% increase.
Wow, wait here while I pee in my shorts with excitement. Meantime CxO numbers are usually up 10% to 20% per year. And then people wonder why so many of us feel like the 1% are robbing us blind. Go figure. How’s about if we give the worker bees a few years of 10% increases and the upper crust those exciting 0% to 5% raises?

April 24, 2014 at 11:20 am, matt thurston said:

thats really nice for them, but i’m still unemployed. teaching myself windows 7 deployment, hope thats enough.

April 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm, shannon said:

Uh…it is called…inflation…

May 11, 2014 at 5:29 pm, Me said:

It’s time to tax corporations that outsource our jobs overseas and import foreigners.