IT Employment Accelerates

Techonomics Logo Thumbnail

TechServe Alliance Chart

IT employment jumped 5.43 percent year-over-year in May, nearly twice the rate seen in 2012, according to TechServe Alliance’s IT Employment Index. During the month, the number of technology jobs rose to 4.45 million, compared with 4.22 million in May 2012. Between 2011 and 2012, the index rose just 2.82 percent.

“I am pleased to see accelerating growth in IT employment reflecting robust demand for talent,” Mark Roberts, TechServe CEO, said in a statement. “Going forward, the greatest risk potentially inhibiting the full potential for IT employment growth in the U.S. is an inadequate supply of talent.”

Tech employment has indeed been on the rise, with some sectors – such as management and technical consulting services – climbing 5.7 percent in May compared to a year ago. Computer systems and design services also advanced, showing a 4.8 percent year-over-year increase.

On a monthly comparison, the index posted more tempered growth, inching up 0.27 percent, according to TechServe.

But the second half of the year may see a stronger performance. In a recent CIO survey conducted by Robert Half Technology, 75 percent of the participants expected to fill vacant IT positions or expand existing IT staff in the next six months. As CIOs begin to feel more confident about the growth prospects of their companies, they’re likely to add employees.

Startups are also moving into hiring mode. According to Silicon Valley Bank’s Startup Outlook survey, 87 percent of their executives expect to hire people this year. The area gearing up for the most hiring: enterprise software startups.

17 Responses to “IT Employment Accelerates”

June 27, 2013 at 10:28 am, Peter Young said:

Why are employers are willing to keep a position open for long periods of time, claiming shortage of talent, but are not hiring an over 50 professional that has 80-90 of the skills they need? The answer is obvious to me but I would like to get your comments and input.

June 27, 2013 at 11:14 am, Fred Moore said:

Before there was it there was what? As a telecom tech we did all these jobs and more. Now we are not considered for these jobs, why?

June 27, 2013 at 11:47 am, Bill Parker said:

June 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm, chasmz said:

Not sure where all this wonderful hiring increase is happening but it sure isn’t happening out here in anti-corporate, hate the rich, job-killing Oregon. Only a handful of IT companies that do hire and they routinely treat (blow off) job-seekers like they are second-class citizens. And if you are in the +50 age bracket or not deep in healthcare, forget it…especially if you’ve been out of work for a little while. No matter how much IT industry experience and prior enterprise-level successes you may have delivered, none of that seems to matter…might as well be on the moon…

But hey, we’re in a recovery…maybe somewhere, but not here!

June 27, 2013 at 2:50 pm, Mike A. said:

There is no recovery for over fifty anywhere. Don’t think this is not happening in Oregon. Most hiring are either for new grade or Indian hiring Indian if you are not new grade.

June 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm, jeff said:

Guess I won’t move to Oregon!

June 27, 2013 at 2:15 pm, Bill said:

I call BS on the skill shortage. I have decent credentials, and I have my resume posted all over the internet. Plus I have applied to many jobs in the past few years with little luck. Until recruiters are knocking down my door with good job opportunities I will refuse to believe this myth about skill shortages.

June 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm, jeff said:

I think you have a long wait!

June 27, 2013 at 3:17 pm, Plinko said:

I’m sure it’s not in good taste to post where I’m job hunting but I can say that I’ve got through more interview stages in boards not as inundated with recruiting companies. Yes, Dice, you have to pay the bills so they count as income and I know you won’t talk down on your beauties. I have 13 job boards that I visit, 14 if you count this one but it comes aggregated in another search. Me thinks some of you might be staying on traditional paths alas I can’t link you all the places I go without this message getting deleted, can I.

The article is right about start-ups. They are booming and I see them everywhere. This new “me” generation really believes they can solve problems. Especially for things like education, I see gobs of start-ups trying to revolutionize that sector.

I’m registered with Robert Half, some of their jobs are ok but they really send you out to work with nasty people that can’t keep staff. One laser company I worked with the president literally screamed at everyone in meetings about timelines. I was shocked at the lack of professionalism and had no reservations about why they were using temps. You will be paid well if you can take the heat, that is true of the positions I’ve seen with them.

June 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm, chasmz said:

You could post your job search info, including the details here too:

Along with sharing any thoughts on our so-called recovery. It’s almost like if they keep saying it enough, we’ll all be lulled into believing it or something. It’s crazy!

June 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm, Plinko said:

Nah, I don’t use Facebook.

Sometimes when I’m all alone I wonder if I could get a Jobvite but then I think that’s a Smashing thought but what if things Krop up that would hinder it, we are, after all, in one big Github. Authentic Jobs aren’t easy to find, you can try to look for the 37Signals but you may never find them, even in my post lol. Maybe we should make a Mashable list in the off chance that a Creativehotlist might do some good. You know what Joelonsoftware always says, don’t count your Behance before it has all become a Crunchboard of nonsense, Indeed.

June 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm, Joe said:

This article sounds like an advertisement for more H1-B’s.

June 27, 2013 at 11:30 pm, D'Ann Florek said:

If there is an increase where is it? I’ve been looking for a year now I have my associates my a+ I’ve only had 6 interviews. And I have at least 200 resumes ou
t there because I haven’t had help desk experience is wheat I keep hearing. Well I know how to answer phones and emails and have 20+ years customer service why and when did help desk become the entry point into IT. There isn’t a class for that and you can’t get experience if no one will hire you a d aren’t a lot of places scripted? So what is so tough about that most places you probably Dont even need it education. I do t know what else to do and can’t afford to keep goi g to school and building up more student loans. Any suggestions Dawn? Anyone?

June 27, 2013 at 11:52 pm, Indian Assault said:

Immigration reform….Immigration reform….I think this is the same author who wrote about how 800,000 H1B s came into USA. I have posted more comments there.

June 28, 2013 at 5:50 am, Carla said:

D’Ann, I learned 20 years ago that an entry level degree or certification meant nothing! I eventually got into Helpdesk after some experience temping, and having awful experiences at places that clearly were toxic to people – county level jobs, for example, and medical insurance billers. Boiler rooms with abusive policies and people.

Anyhow, an AAS ought to get you into first level HDS. That’s odd. Try emphasizing that you have excellent service skills, have proven success with diverse kinds of callers, and can save them time and money by reducing callbacks or complaints. As one of our corporate trainers said – you can teach skill sets, but PEOPLE skills you are born with.

And I have seen the Indian bias as well as a Black bias at work. People tend to favor those like themselves, whether or not it is intentionally racial discrimination. Worse, foreign employees have a different work ethic – culturally driven, the Indian techs I spoke with admit to constant self improvement to get ahead and to protect their jobs they have. Thus, you get an Engineer working on the phones in Banglaore, as he completes a PhD. American laziness cannot compete with that – sorry folks – there is a segment of America that feels entitled and doesn’t stay so competitive.

Ageism is a whole other problem…scares me after being out of work a number of years. Hard to compete with 20-something new grads in my 40s. But immigration reform – bah. Lies!! Qualified, good citizens have always been able to apply to be citizens. Its the unskilled, or criminal, illegal sort we don’t want. It’s a real mess.

June 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm, Steve in AZ said:

Twice nothing is still nothing. Now maybe if we had seen, oh, say a 40% increase, I could _begin_ to get excited.