One Woman’s Views on Algorithms as Foreplay

TalkNerdy

How successful has online dating been for you? Jen Friel, who blogs at Blogger of Talk Nerdy to Me Lover, says her experiment has been a combination of success and ultimate failure. I spoke with her at the TechCrunch Disrupt in San Francisco.

Friel’s dating experiment outgrew from another where she bartered social media to live for a year. She took $10 and traveled to 12 states from May 2010 to May 2011. During that time she wanted a social life, so she started dating and made those experiences a sub-project.

Over nine months Friel used the online dating site OkCupid (not a sponsor) to go on 103 dates. She had 11 second dates, six guys she slept with, and four guys she wanted more from but were “emotionally unavailable.” (To find the perfect man, she’s spent the last year working with a modern day shaman to work on herself.)

Her goal was to find a nerdy guy. And with all that dating she still wasn’t successful. And I could have thrown a bowling ball at TechCrunch Disrupt and knocked down a dozen right behind her.

Friel says she’s attracted to confident ambitious guys. “Intellectual stimulation on so many levels is the cat’s pajamas. I can’t get enough of it. The smarter the better,” she said.

Although she’s not sure whether she wants geek speak into the bedroom. “It’s more like the foreplay. I don’t think actually during sex I would enjoy that, but hey, show me what you got.”

Related Links

Comments

7 Responses to “One Woman’s Views on Algorithms as Foreplay”

September 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm, Wizgod said:

Hmmm. 01110010000 011110 11111110……;)

September 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm, Mike said:

“Over nine months Friel used the online dating site OkCupid (not a sponsor) to go on 103 dates. She had 11 second dates, six guys she slept with, and four guys she wanted more from but were “emotionally unavailable.”

Pardon my sarcasm is showing:

Did she “sleep with” 6 of those 11, or were the 6 a case of first-date wild-thang? Did she want more from 4 of the 6? Four of the eleven? Why would the four guys want to become emotionally involved when they probably already had the involvement they desired?

September 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm, David Spark said:

Mike, sorry, I don’t know the answer to any of those questions. You’ll have to contact Jen for answers.

September 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm, Mike said:

No reason to be sorry.

October 03, 2012 at 12:46 am, Jen Friel said:

103 dates. 6 I slept with. Only 1 on the first date- but that date started in culver city and ultimately ended up at a bed and breakfast in Santa barbara. 4 I genuinely wanted to to date. 2 of them I was just really horny and it was good timing.

October 03, 2012 at 10:26 am, Mike said:

With all due respect, I am torn between wondering if you are really that “easy” and apparently willing to tell the world, or if you seek the 15minutes of fame promised by Andy. Are you not a bit concerned that posting your escapades might be a detriment towards being taken seriously? On the other hand, there could be a movie deal here: “Geek Girls are Game”.

October 03, 2012 at 11:59 am, jen friel said:

well everything is relative. some can say 6 in 9 months is a lot, others have told me that that was nothing.

i know i operate from an honest place and i genuinely document everything as a lifecaster on my website. dating was just a piece of the puzzle and i hope it is through a transparent experience that others can learn more from. rock on!