Hiring Humor: Always Be Professional

It’s the golden rule of the workplace: Be Professional.

You’d think that would be a given, whether you’re the CEO or simply a job applicant. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work that way.

Sometimes you can’t help but wonder how people managed to miss that golden rule, particularly when a candidate lets a little too much about their personal life slip through…

You may never cease to be amazed at how some candidates present themselves.

Share your tales of unprofessional presentation with us. Post a comment below.

Image Credit: ra2studio/Shutterstock

Comments

10 Responses to “Hiring Humor: Always Be Professional”

September 05, 2012 at 3:38 pm, RealityCheckPlease said:

Love the cartoon…

September 06, 2012 at 10:19 am, Luke said:

I recently came across Badass01

September 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm, Cristine Nettie said:

The best one I ever had was ‘inmythong@hotmail.com’…seriously. I laughed for hours…

September 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm, Ron said:

How about WiccanLez??? good thing I don’t discriminate!

September 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm, Tracy Arthur said:

Literal LOL @ inmythong!

September 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm, Rahul said:

Look at the dice face..Ahh!! Awesome reusme./// :0

October 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm, Sheila said:

I just got one from “assaultman08” and another from “gunbunny1977”. Wonder if they’re sitting at home wondering why they never heard back from us? In the past, I’ve gotten “nervouseater” (he applied to nearly everything we ever posted), “serialkiller”, “beachbum” and “lazyguy”. Didn’t call any of them, either. Yikes! What are people thinking?!?

October 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm, David said:

Hi Sheila,
I just wanted to let you know that being former military myself. “Assaultman” is an actual Job title given members of the 0351 Infantry field and “Gunbunny” is a comical term in reference to 0811 Artilleryman. As far as “nervouseater” “serialkiller”, “beachbum” and “lazyguy”. I cannot vouch for them. I would just list them as Do Not Call. I hope that helps.

October 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm, Jane said:

Just a reminder for those posting – don’t share an applicant’s full e-mail address.

I have noticed many novelty e-mail addresses can be correlated to particular geographic areas of the United States. I had never seen so many hunting-related e-mails as when recruiting in Texas. There were many beach related e-mails in southern-coastal California and a lot of “blonde” “hot” and/or “sexy” combined with some noun in Florida.

@ Sheila – I can understand hesitation towards “serialkiller” and “lazyguy”, however, it wouldn’t surprise me if you haven’t spent much time near a good surfing beach. I know multiple hardworking CEOs, COOs, and other executives who surf often and outwardly consider themselves “beachbums”.

October 19, 2012 at 9:37 am, chris said:

I teach classes on how to apply for jobs and interview. One of my suggestions to students is to set up a “professional” email box for applications using their name; if they need to add anything to make it unique, make it simple and boring (cblazerMT for example). I recommend saving the “creative” handles for their personal box. It not only makes a better impression on prosepctive employers, it allows them to scan for responses to their applications a lot easier as they all go to one place. I haven’t seen any really unusual ones for a long time so maybe the word is getting out.