Hiring Humor: Pesky Applicants

You again?

Sometimes it’s tough for candidates to grasp the idea that it’s not “third time’s the charm” but more like “three strikes and you’re out” with follow-up communication.

Have you had applicants drive you crazy with their persistence?

Top-notch candidates know when to push and when to be professional. At Dice, we help you connect with the talented tech pros you want, and weed out the ones you don’t.

Share your stories of applicants, however well-intentioned, that just can’t let go.

Post your comments below.

Comments

13 Responses to “Hiring Humor: Pesky Applicants”

April 09, 2012 at 1:19 pm, Jacob said:

I’ve had a truck driver apply for MULTIPLE positions with me! Whether it’s a DBA or a Web Developer, he always seems to find my postings!

I have his e-mail address and phone number memorized at this point! It drives me crazy!

April 09, 2012 at 4:11 pm, Susan said:

What drives me crazy are the RECRUITERS who don’t get back to you with a yea or nay. They leave you hanging and you finally get the messaged after two weeks have gone by and no response. Would be nice if they had the manners to respond that they are no longer interested.

April 09, 2012 at 4:31 pm, Ron said:

Susan, It is rude for them not to get back to you if you already have an established relationship with them. However if you just applied to a posting you saw on a job board, you will only get a response if you are qualified for the opening. There are far too many applications for recruiters to respond to each one.

April 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm, Gene said:

Posting captions that belittle candidates desperation is in poor taste for such a dominant job portal.

April 10, 2012 at 8:49 pm, Tracy Arthur said:

Gene, thanks for reading. Dice develops these cartoons based on real stories we hear straight from HR managers and recruiters. We’ve vetted them with hiring professionals across the nation, and have tried to use our best judgment in discarding overly sensitive material.

Although I don’t post these cartoons with ill-intent, I do respect that this humor is not in everyone’s taste. Apologies if this one offended you and I’m glad to have your feedback as we work on future posts.

April 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm, Marty said:

Gene,
Poor Taste ? Really ? How about the fact that applicants apply for jobs that they don’t qualify for? How about applicants that don’t care that my time is also valuable ? How about the fact that some people call us with all of their professional and financial troubles, and we have feelings too.
I have a job to do, and I shouldn’t have to stay late at work, because I didn’t get my job done during business hours because I had to talk to everybody that applies for a job.
I emphasize with anybody looking for work, and I always try to help anybody get pointed in the right direction. But I also have a responsibility to earn a living, to my clients and qualified applicants.There is only so much that I can do.
People should respect recruiters and HR professionals, we often don’t get the respect we deserve.
If I posted a job for a Doctor and a mechanic applies to the job, do I really have to justify why they wont be hired ? Do I have to hear this person’s complaints about how unfair life,the system and companies are ?
Recruiters are the engine that drive the life blood of a company, human talent, the people that help make companies successful.
We don’t get to bill applicants for phone calls. We catch grief when somebody turns downs a job offer. Things we cant control.
This is not an easy job, there is no “Hug your your recruiter national holiday”When things go right, well we were expected to deliver the perfect candidate. When they go wrong, we have to work twice a shard again to fill a job.
Consider that HR and Recruiters are people trying to do the best we can, so please be mindful of how challenging our jobs are also.

April 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm, Lindsey Summers said:

Ron, you are absolutely right. Tracy, I think nearly all recruiters, HR and hiring managers will support this cartoon. Time is money in our business. Most recruiters are commission based. We simply cannot spend time where we will not make money for our company and for ourselves. Unfortunately no feedback is the feedback even for those of us that have excellent relationships with staffing and hiring managers. However, for those candidates that apply to each and every posting we often have to hit “delete”.

-Agency Recruiter supporting large and small Pharma/Biotech

April 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm, John said:

I have to agree that this was in bad taste.

If an applicant has called back multiple times that points to a problem with the recruiter.

Just let the applicant know he is not being considered.
With thousands of applicants for few jobs, that should be a well-practiced conversation.

April 12, 2012 at 7:35 pm, Tom said:

It just depends on your perspective. Most candidates can relate to hearing they are not right for the position. Its when candidates have been interviewed and then hear nothing. A decision may have been made not to pursue but what is a person seeking a job to believe? Is it a test to see how badly they want the job? Granted there are crazy people in this world that think if I wear them done my persistence will be rewarded with a job. If you called a candidate then the recruiter should give the proper feedback. If you are just sending resumes and getting any response that is something different. When any contact has been made and the feedback is given so the candidate knows where they stand, then there is no desperation.
I have been on both sides and as a candidate you can sure bet that if I had an interview with a VP and they indicated the company would be pursuing with me, I called that recruiter for next steps. How do I know if they are just letting me slip through the cracks? My experience is that when they find out that no the company is not pursuing they just move on to the next candidate without making the hard call to let the person know.
I’ve done recruiting and hiring in the past and now as a hiring manager that does my own recruiting I make sure every candidate knows exactly what the process is and where they stand. If we choose not to pursue they find out immediately. I have never had the problems described using a straightforward approach and all candidates have been appreciative of knowing the outcome one way or the other.

April 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm, Dan said:

Please realize, Recruiters don’t MAKE the hiring decision. We present the hiring managers with options. Sometimes it’s the HIRING MANAGERS who want to keep you hanging because they can’t decide. Usually when a candidate is a flat out “NO,” from my experience it’s always relayed timely.

April 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm, Victoria said:

Applicant desperation is heartbreaking! It really is, but receiving applications from people who are just applying for anything that’s on the web is just as emotionally disturbing. Our company is desparately seeking qualified people who are experienced is a micro-niche market. I am desparate and frustrated too and have very little patience with frivolous applicants.

April 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm, Tom said:

There are really 2 different phenomena in play here: the lack of any feedback once a candidate has applied and an initial contact has been made, and the persistance of some candidates in continuing to apply for and follow up on positions they were never qualified for in the first place.

If someone has applied for a position and there has been some 2-way communication, even just an initial phone screen by the recruiter or other company representative, then that candidate definitely deserves a timely answer, even if the answer is “no”. Even in those cases in which the hiring manager is not providing timely feedback, it is incumbent upon the recruiter to obtain a go/no-go decision that can be communicated back to the candidate. However, as others have pointed out, the volume of resumes we receive even in boom times is so great that it’s not possible to personally respond to everyone; only those that appear qualified can be replied to directly.

What many of us on the recruiting side fight every day, however, is the deluge of resumes from people not even remotely qualified for the position they’ve applied for. Even worse are those whose accompanying cover letters say they are “a perfect match” for the position, when in fact they have no relevant qualifications whatsoever.

May 19, 2012 at 6:53 am, RediculousPost said:

This is absolutely a distastful and useless post. You know what if its so hard to call someone back than get a new job. Or how about this, get a phine system to make automated calls. Id rather have that than nothing. What I hate is over qualified candidates that might be lacking one thing that they could learn in a day, don’t get the job based on that one criteria. Or the job postings that are vague or don’t let you know what skillsets are mandatory. What ever happened to the personal contact between a company and a potential candidate. You know where you were actually had an interview because you have so much talent. Or call my huge list of professional references first.