Back when I was the lead interviewer at a previous job, I always liked to ask at least one nonstandard question to see the mental gears of the applicant turn. Nothing too weird, just a couple I borrowed from James Lipton’s schtick from Inside The Actor’s Studio. “What is your favorite sound?” or some such.
On the receiving end, the weirdest question I ever got was not really a question, but an exercise. “You and I are going to design a digital camera for use in Sub-Saharan Africa.” Say what?
Glassdoor.com recently had a doosey of a list of oddball interview questions. Here are some of my favorites.
- Just entertain me for five minutes, I’m not going to talk.
- What do you think of garden gnomes?
- How would you get an elephant into an elevator?
- Are you exhaling warm air?
- If you were a Microsoft Office program, which would you be?
Duh, Microsoft Word right? What’s the weirdest thing you’ve been asked? What’s the most effective thing you’ve been asked? Do you even take the company/interviewer seriously when something like this comes up? Let us know in the comments.