Diversity in IT? Look Close … Closer…

magnifying_eye

DICE NEWS UPDATE: If you’re looking for workforce diversity, you’re not going to find it in IT… Health IT needs folks experienced in banking and manufacturing… And how Amazon is giving a new definition to the term “flyover state.” All on this week’s Update.

Comments

No Responses to “Diversity in IT? Look Close … Closer…”

August 11, 2011 at 10:07 am, malachi lang said:

The video makes it seem that most people in IT are white Caucasians. It doesn’t mention the number of Indians or Asians. I wonder why this is the case. This issue is not fully covered in the video.

August 11, 2011 at 11:07 am, Mark Feffer said:

Hi Malachi. Even though we didn’t give the number, I think the percentages tell the story. Also, usually for statistical purposes Indians and Asians are often included in the same category.

August 12, 2011 at 6:52 am, Michael said:

“Also, usually for statistical purposes Indians and Asians are often included in the same category.”

It is significant that you don’t mention with certainly that this is the case for this article. Percentages never tell a whole story. They are just a number. Unless you can FULLY define the meaning of that number, they mean relatively nothing.

You specifically called out African Americans and Hispanics. You mentioned no other minorities. You also mentioned nothing of the number of applicants. Without this information, your numbers are worthless.

August 12, 2011 at 8:33 am, Mark Feffer said:

Hi, Michael –

It’s probably best to look at the full report for that information. You can find it here (it’s a pdf):

Best,

Mark

August 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm, Henry said:

As opposed to some other color Caucasion?

August 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm, Marcus Griffen said:

I wonder how many black people work at Dice. They are certainly not represented among the Dice Bloogers. How is Dice addressing it’s Diversity issues?

August 16, 2011 at 2:35 am, Che Guevara said:

Thank you Marcus!

August 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm, Janet said:

Honestly, I’m willing to make $0.70/hour less than a man because it beats what I’m making now hands-down: nothing.

August 19, 2011 at 10:28 am, Engineer Dad said:

Regarding “If you’re looking for workforce diversity, you’re not going to find it in IT”

These figures simply reflect the emphasis on demonstrated merit at workplaces here in Silicon Valley, but unfortunately is thought prejudicial by newspaper opinion editors and political ideologues.

This reminds me of a quarterly evaluation our manager gave two male software engineer co-workers and myself, a white (me), a Chinese, and a Hispanic, about 18 months ago. By our managers IT measurement models my Chinese colleague and I were high contributors and nearly equal competitors, although each of us were unaware of how much the other was contributing. Our Hispanic colleague was a distant third, whom we out produced by ratio of 20 or 21 to 1.

I felt kind of robbed by the injustice of it.

August 19, 2011 at 11:00 am, Marcus Griffen said:

I thought evaluations where suppose to be confidential.