Hyper Touch Guitar: No Strings Attached

Don’t guitar strings seem so last century when you think about it? That’s what designer Max Battaglia at Givingshape Design Studio did when he unveiled his new concept: The Hyper Touch Guitar or “HTG” for short.

“Hyper Touch Guitar is a new way of thinking electric guitar making it fully customizable and adaptable to musician needs. No more strings, but a multi-touch screen that allows infinite possibilities of expression through the perfect instrument customization. Guitarists will be able to change as the number of strings, the number of frets, tuning, sound effects etc..

The design maintains the iconic shape of the standard electric guitar exalting and improving it. Some controls (tone, volume and tremolo) are maintained for more rapid and intuitive use.”

No word on pricing yet, but for musicians looking for something more modern without the cartoony Guitar Hero feel, the HTC is looking good.

8 Responses to “Hyper Touch Guitar: No Strings Attached”

April 01, 2011 at 8:52 am, sean said:

and to think Im taking strings off and stopped using digital effects. this is crazy.

April 07, 2011 at 9:37 am, Charley B said:

I’m seeing more and more of these. I think this is the 5th of its kind to show up since CES. Here come the patent lawsuits (or the clones).

April 07, 2011 at 10:05 am, Cynthia said:

I’m thinking of the ways you customize it. E.g., you could make it have 4 strings for bass, 5 strings for banjo, 6 for guitar. You could change the spacing of frets for kid sized hands. Pretty cool idea.

April 07, 2011 at 10:35 am, Bill said:

I wonder if this will lack the nuances of a player’s individual style that is expressed with real strings —-even more than the way digital pianos don’t replace a real Baby Grand producing real notes in the air from hammering real strings resonating from a real soundboard. It is interesting, and some will get very creative with it, but I don’t expect it to replace stringed guitars. Of course, it does avoid those sore fingers.

April 07, 2011 at 10:40 am, aaron said:

Good! That’ll make those of us who know how to play the real ones look even more talented.

April 07, 2011 at 12:40 pm, ManOutOfTime said:

April 07, 2011 at 1:04 pm, Chuck M said:

I’m a fan of electronics but this doesn’t vibe well with me. I would need to play around with such a device to though. Steel strings just have a feel, tone, dynamic that I don’t think a digital guitar can truly capture, especially during an on-stage performance.

April 07, 2011 at 2:00 pm, aaron said:

The guitar is a stringed instrument by definition, I don’t see how this qualifies as being a guitar. I’ve been playing guitar for well over 20 years-don’t get me wrong, I don’t resist technology. I am also an electrical engineer, I work on cutting-edge stuff every day. If I had to give a few examples of what I believe this design lacks when compared to a real electric guitar, it would be:
1) How do you change the way your attack on the strings sounds? If you have a real guitar, it sounds a lot different when you use a thinner or thicker pick, or no pick at all.
2) How do you squeeze harmonics out of this guitar? With a real one, you can change the way your left hand depresses the string to produce a harmonic tone. Also, there is a way to pick the string with your right hand to where a tone harmonic to the root note is produced.
3) Exactly how do you exercise dynamics without adjusting the volume knob? Do you strum the imaginary stings softer or harder? I could see how this would be possible; I don’t doubt that this design can do it. How many discrete levels are programmed in to adjust the volume of the notes when the input (strumming) is harder or softer? 8? 16? 64? Some other power of 2? I prefer the analog way of doing it-dealing with real strings.

Ok, to be fair, let’s see how many guitar heroes start using stringless guitars. If in five years we see Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Steve Vai, or Bob Dylan using them I will eat my words. Don’t hold your breath.