DiceTV: Demystifying HR’s Recruiting Process

Have you ever wondered what happens between the time an IT manager identifies a hiring need and a new employee actually takes a seat in a cubicle? Cat takes a behind-the-scenes look.

The Script

Cat: Have you ever wondered what happens between the time an IT manager identifies a hiring need and a new employee actually takes a seat in a cubicle?

I know you have, so today I’m answering your most frequently asked questions about the HR recruiting process in a little segment we like to call “Ask Cat!”  I’m Cat Miller and this is DiceTV.

Here’s the first question. How do recruiters find candidates?

The company’s recruiting philosophy and experience determine which sources a recruiter will tap. When it’s hard to find qualified candidates, recruiters will use more sources and different techniques, like searching job board databases and social media sites. Recruiters are measured on time to fill, candidate quality and cost per hire, so they often turn to agencies last.

Do internal candidates receive preference?

Some companies consider current employees before posting a position on the Web, but most want to hire the strongest candidate, so they evaluate both internal and external candidates. Ask the recruiter if internal candidates are being considered to assess your chances of receiving an offer.

How do recruiters screen and select candidates?

Recruiters search for resumes using keywords from the job description or they may use technology like an ATS to rank submitted resumes. They initially screen for requirements like technical skills, experience and education, so create a customized and concise resume and list your technical skills near the top. The technical phone interviews are next with the successful candidates advancing to in-person interviews.

Why do I continue to see postings for the same position?

It could mean the recruiter hasn’t found a qualified candidate, but it usually means they need to fill additional positions or are building a pipeline for future needs.

In large companies the process averages 30 to 60 days but it can take as long as six months when it’s hard to find candidates. Managers have to do their jobs and find time to interview, which can delay the process.

Should I follow up?

Absolutely. Recruiters want you to show interest, and many admit that when the pool is plentiful, they lean toward eager candidates. Once a week is just about right.

Well we’re out of time, but read the article on Dice to further demystify the HR recruiting process. If you’ve got questions, I’ve got answers, so send them to me at  Feedback@dice.com and put “Ask Cat” in the subject line. That’s feedback @dice.com.

I’m Cat Miller and this has been Ask Cat on Dice TV and we now return you to your regular desktop.

DiceTV: Demystifying HR's Recruiting Process

Comments

22 Responses to “DiceTV: Demystifying HR’s Recruiting Process”

October 08, 2010 at 9:05 am, Demmy shegun said:

Information they say is life,without it wd can get going in life.So get it and get life for living

October 08, 2010 at 9:05 am, Demmy shegun said:

October 09, 2010 at 8:44 am, Gorakhanath mane said:

I surch a job
i am just passout SE
can you appling me a job

October 09, 2010 at 8:44 am, Gorakhanath mane said:

I surch a job
i am just passout SE
can you appling me a job

October 14, 2010 at 3:03 am, Al said:

I wholeheartedly agree with what Matty Mat said…the few places that actually have a real job opening are asking that candidates be able to boil the ocean…this leads to a lot of confusion when trying to nail down specifics and fine tune resumes to fit the job description. Many times, I’ve had the old bait and switch done on me from the initial contact to the time of the interview, the job description and scope has already changed or morphed into something else. Either that or the hiring manger is using the interview process treating candidates like lab rats to pick their brains to figure out what they really want…huge time waster. One other thing…to hiring managers, give candidates the common courtesies that we give you…say please, thank you, and give candidates a definite yes or a no…no response is rude and unprofessional…reflects badly on YOU, YOUR company, and any recruiter working with you. Having your act together works both ways, it’s not all about the candidate making a good impression.

October 14, 2010 at 3:03 am, Al said:

October 14, 2010 at 8:34 am, bachirsadik said:

i say is life,without it wd can get going in life.So get it and get life for living

October 14, 2010 at 8:34 am, bachirsadik said:

October 14, 2010 at 8:48 am, ABDELJALIL SOUILEM said:

DICE NEWS

October 14, 2010 at 8:48 am, ABDELJALIL SOUILEM said:

DICE NEWS

October 14, 2010 at 9:54 am, Robert Emminger said:

This is a nice helpful segment, think you guys can round up some ammo against discrimination to help disabled U.S citizens in the I.T field. I been getting denied employment with some big names out there including Northrop Grumman without reason and when I ask I get the phone slammed on my ear. I think companies are finding ways to make sure discrimination in the I.T is strong and alive when it comes to disabled people.

October 14, 2010 at 9:54 am, Robert Emminger said:

October 14, 2010 at 10:54 am, Matty Mat said:

I think hiring managers need to be more specific in thier skills needs with respect to job descriptions. More times than not these days, they’re wanting Superman wearing 15 hats— and then pay them nothing. That’s why “positions” stay open for months at a time.

October 14, 2010 at 10:54 am, Matty Mat said:

October 16, 2010 at 8:55 am, Victor said:

Cat you’re a doll! Thanks for the info, team.
Totally agree with Al also. I’ve been interviewed by people that change their mind midstream on either the project, the position itself, or the scope of the need requested. Recently had a recruiter promise me the client didn’t need a Java guru only to then have the client change their mind at the last minute! Talk about wasting MY time, money, and my emotions! I hope managers read these postings and get a CLUE!!! Thanks for letting me vent.

October 16, 2010 at 8:55 am, Victor said:

Cat you’re a doll! Thanks for the info, team.

October 17, 2010 at 11:47 am, Rick said:

I agree with both Matty Mat and Al, along with a sympathetic hand to Robert. I’m a guy living in WA but wanting to move me and my career back home to California, and just like Robert’s Discrimination claim I too feel my address is keeping me from getting interviews. Maybe they think if they can’t help me move then I will never move there (which isn’t true, I have my own funds). It may not be on the same level as Robert, but I feel the same way.

I also feel the politeness and courtesies is a two way street. I’m a guy who prefers straight forward and to the point with most things, but if you’re going to force me to walk on egg shells at least show you can do it too.

Maybe I’m just blabbing though…

October 17, 2010 at 11:47 am, Rick said:

Maybe I’m just blabbing though…

October 18, 2010 at 9:23 am, ndaruhutse sam said: