DiceTV: Networking Puts the (Old) Spice In Your Job Search

Hello, job seekers. How are you? Fantastic.

You want your job search to be more productive. You want things to happen. Of course you do. Well, make them happen.

Network! No, not servers – routers – wireless.

Coffee. Lunch. Drinks after work. Get away from your keyboard and into the world. Get to know people. Get them to know you. Why? So, they’ll think of you when they hear of opportunities. Yes, you can talk shop when you meet them. Tell them about your coding skills. Your architectural affinity. Your strong sense of system administration.

Your ability to air-cool servers in ways that lead your company to drop utility hook ups in favor of wind turbines, solar panels and the gentle body heat of little baby lambs.

Oh, you’re saying, I’m shy. I don’t like to call people. I don’t like to ask them for anything. No one objects to going to lunch. Everyone needs a cup of coffee. Or maybe tea. Perhaps spring water.

It doesn’t matter.

Networking is the most effective tactic you have in your arsenal. If you’ve got a weapon like that, why don’t you use it?

I’m Cat Miller. DiceTV. Don’t go back to your desktop. Pick up the phone. Call someone.  (No, not Cat.)

And see some our favorite stories on networking here, here and here.

DiceTV: Networking Puts the (Old) Spice into Your Job Search

Comments

39 Responses to “DiceTV: Networking Puts the (Old) Spice In Your Job Search”

July 28, 2010 at 3:03 am, anonymous said:

That was ridiculous and silly.

Seriously though, what does your average disgruntled IT worker have to call someeone and “network” about? They generally don’t have anything to offer, no one wants to hear them complain about their job, and they are generally boring people.

July 28, 2010 at 3:03 am, anonymous said:

That was ridiculous and silly.

July 28, 2010 at 3:06 am, Mark Feffer said:

@Anonymous: I think any IT worker has a lot to talk about. Obviously, if you’re trying to build connections that could lead to a job, you shouldn’t complain, but then most of the tech folks I know understand that. They’re not boring, either.

July 28, 2010 at 3:06 am, Mark Feffer said:

July 29, 2010 at 10:57 am, Darin Alperin said:

That was great. Networking is always a great way to get you in front of the people that make the decisions and do the hiring.

July 29, 2010 at 10:57 am, Darin Alperin said:

July 30, 2010 at 4:01 am, e. pirsquared said:

Real coders are too busy working to have time for other humans. What is this networking without routers? I do not comprehend. Does it have to do with the vending machine?

July 30, 2010 at 4:01 am, e. pirsquared said:

August 05, 2010 at 3:56 am, Dave said:

I was out of work for over a year until I finally got motivated to reach out and expand my network. You can spend an eternity emailing resumes and applying online, but it’s *people* who do the hiring. 10 phone calls and I had a new job.

August 05, 2010 at 3:56 am, Dave said:

August 05, 2010 at 4:47 am, Jilara said:

I want HER job!

Of course, none of this matters much if the positions aren’t there, or there are a hundred or two applicants for each position. I’ve networked with hundreds of connections, and it’s resulted in 4 interviews. Four, in a year and a half. In all cases, either someone else was a better fit, or they went with a “more junior” (less expensive) alternative.

What she doesn’t say is that nowadays, you have to be willing to reinvent yourself. Your elevator speech isn’t much good if that’s not what people are looking for. Don’t just talk, listen. Listen for opportunities with things you CAN do. Then suggest yourself.

I know that’s rough for those of us who have years of experience, stepping back to essentially entry-level. I was a technically savvy corporate Senior Tech Writer. Lately, I’ve been writing web content and SEO blogs. Not much money, but it’s better than no money. Hence, if someone wants to pay me to write the dialog for a video like Cat’s, hey, I’m there!

August 05, 2010 at 4:47 am, Jilara said:

I want HER job!

August 05, 2010 at 7:47 am, Anonymous said:

AWESOME! GREAT spoof and well done!

August 05, 2010 at 8:53 am, Marty said:

ROFL! That was great.

Most people (not just techies) wait untill AFTER they are looking for work before they start networking. You can always start with your inner circle. You can start going to regular User Group meetings (THUG’s, LUG’s and JUG’s) for starters.

I was just talking with a (social) friend about code profiling and systems tuning. Now he might even believe that I know my *ss from a hole in the ground. heh.

August 05, 2010 at 8:53 am, Marty said:

ROFL! That was great.

August 05, 2010 at 8:55 am, david said:

wowowow really good i m impress, so make more video in this manner about job dear really good

August 05, 2010 at 8:55 am, david said:

August 05, 2010 at 8:58 am, Vikram said:

I liked this silly enticing video. Good job guys, and good job Cat:)

August 05, 2010 at 8:58 am, Vikram said:

I liked this silly enticing video. Good job guys, and good job Cat:)

August 05, 2010 at 9:07 am, Gerie said:

It makes a lot of sense, but I just wish I had someone in my field to call….after 25 yrs in the same company, how do you meet people?

August 05, 2010 at 9:07 am, Gerie said:

August 05, 2010 at 9:18 am, Alomega said:

Subjet matter was interesting, but real life as mentioned above by Anonymous, is different. If you look at the subtext of the presentation, it looks like the girl hasn’t had an audition for commercials in a while and became proactive, and produced her own and distributed on her own. Possibly even edited the project on her own in Adobe After Effects. Either way she’s definitely entrepreneurial. 😉

August 05, 2010 at 9:18 am, Alomega said:

August 05, 2010 at 9:42 am, John Livingstone said:

Cat, One of the best segments yet – so creative! Your message is so true! All the best!

August 05, 2010 at 9:42 am, John Livingstone said:

August 05, 2010 at 10:34 am, MattyMat said:

I want what Cat’s smokin’—-!!!!

August 05, 2010 at 10:34 am, MattyMat said:

I want what Cat’s smokin’—-!!!!

August 05, 2010 at 10:41 am, Victor said:

One can do all the talking and use all the sales pitch strategy, but if you are a square peg and that does not fit a round hole, no amount of talking will help.
There are more applicants than the openings, plus the colleges keep churning more and more young, who are willing candidates to do anything, as they have the knowledge of using the latest technology and tools, thus older workers and pushed out. As they are more set in their ways, work habits and are not willing to work on weekends and travel long distances and as they have a commitment to their families, who comes first? Employer or the family? What has become of us??

August 05, 2010 at 10:41 am, Victor said:

August 05, 2010 at 10:50 am, Joey Wilhelm said:

Networking isn’t as difficult as everybody makes it out to be. Keep in touch with old bosses, old co-workers. Go out to happy hour with them every once in a while. Talk to the people in your social life, see what they do for a living; you might be surprised. I found that three of the people I rock climb with are web developers, and I’m even talking to one of them about an open position at his company. Just talk to people, let them know what you do, and perhaps the next time they hear about a job opening along your lines, they just might bring up your name.

August 05, 2010 at 10:50 am, Joey Wilhelm said:

August 05, 2010 at 11:05 am, coding said:

Networking is great to build repore!

August 05, 2010 at 11:05 am, coding said:

Networking is great to build repore!

August 06, 2010 at 12:33 am, Sandy said:

Fun and inspires all of us to think out of the box. Can we copycat??

August 06, 2010 at 12:33 am, Sandy said:

Fun and inspires all of us to think out of the box. Can we copycat??

August 06, 2010 at 1:02 am, anonymous said:

@MattyMat I want to smoke what Cat’s smokin’ … and take her out for drinks.

August 06, 2010 at 1:02 am, anonymous said:

@MattyMat I want to smoke what Cat’s smokin’ … and take her out for drinks.

August 06, 2010 at 3:23 am, mo said:

Hosting a BBQ seems to work pretty well – as long as the food is really good – burgers/dogs for kids only. Another thing I am seeing is more of my IT friends becoming empty nesters with a lot more time to share.

August 06, 2010 at 3:23 am, mo said: